Marrakech

Jemaa el-fnaa square would be a good start. Stalls etc in the day time, plus it's surrounded by loads of very old buildings, it really comes alive in the early evening/ night. Great place to hang out.

Great place, went for a fortnight all inclusive in august, proper warm but will be cool when you go, the square on an evening is an eye opener with the snakes and look out for the tooth puller, expect to pay to photograph such things in the square, pony and trap tour us value and the ponys have nappys on lol ( take note UK horse riders ) if the king is in town dont take pics of the palace....enjoy

BimboBob said:
The souq. Pile in, get lost, pay a scrote a groat to get out.
Never a truer word spoken.Watch yourself.The kids will try and get you to follow them....dont do it,it'll cost you a few dinars and you'll end up in some blokes shop.Kids will try and sell you hankies and such and there are hundreds of them. We got a 'guide' who was 'fucking clueless' and got us lost around the narrow ginnels,finally after asking a few 'mates' he got us close to our rhiad.I told the wife to walk over to the door while I wandered off the other way,when he wasn't looking I legged to the door,ran in and locked coniving Ahmed and his mates outside,get a taxi.You can also hire them for the day for trips out,Atlas mountains etc etc,cheaper and a lot safer than hiring a car.It's an experience rather than a holiday and 4 days is enough,it's great place.

Been twice, great place, we never bothered with guides in the souk, just wandered around ourselves, can be a bit daunting as you will be approached, but a firm no usually does the business.

We hired a car, if you, don't leave it parked on a side street near the souk, we left ours to look for a cashpoint, and it was broken into and the radio nicked, all about an hour after we picked it up, and we spent 2 hours sorting it with the police. In town its also mad with mopeds and donkeys, and neither bother which side of the road they are on (even on dual carriageways). Out of town though its fine, we have driven to Essouira on the coast, about 3 hours, and Ait Benhaddou (below), which is over the atlas mountains, which is fabulous drive, and a great place to visit, but it requires a full day. We also went up to the ski resort at Oukaimeden, an interesting drive, about an hour and half from Marrakech.

If you want a beer or wine with a meal then you need to eat in a more upmarket place, or a hotel, away from the main square. There are some in the souk but they aren't easy to find.

7902961.jpg

Taking a bird? - If you get offered 5 Camel's bite their fucking hand off, I don't care what she looks like!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.