Marseille (H) - CL | Post-Match Thread

Lots of positives from last night.

Sergio is back, he looked like he got a buzz from scoring, and he looks a bit trimmer than we usually see him return. I think he’s gonna hit top form quicker than his usual 6 games to get to full match fitness. Huge boost.

Stones looks like he’s got his confidence back and deserves to be in the mix the way he’s playing. Let’s hope he can continue to push on.

Ake looks good anywhere he’s played in the back line. He makes us tighter when he’s at lb too. Has a really good first touch and I like his passing, he’s composed and tidy. He’s no Kolarov going forward but we’ll be harder to beat with him as an option this season.

We’re looking so much better at the back and now we’re finding the balance between defence and attack.

Torres has very quietly gone about his business with some consistency. I think there’s more to come when he settles in and is playing with full confidence. Exciting

It’s great seeing Fern play in his normal position. I’m think we’d have faired last season had he left Fern at DM and Rodri to CB. I know he’s older but he’s not showing to many signs at this stage. Remember we had Hammann at that age, every challenge was a card haha. Fern is still dominating a lot of opposition midfields.

Mahrez, again last night getting involved and trying to play some through passes, looks like he’s really trying to play as part of the team in his last 3 games.

All positives

How are they going to shape themselves if they don’t play?

If they can’t be afforded 10/20 minutes in a fixture with nothing at stake and in a season where there are additional substitute numbers, when are they going to get that opportunity?
Listen, pal. They were given free bus tickets, pink puffa jackets and Little Hotties hand warmers last night. Now stop fcukin complaining, please.

Opinions are opinions and there are always exceptions. You should also take into account what players are available in the rest of the squad.
By the same token you should drop Pep an email to tell him the error of his ways.

the reason is greenwood has to play for the rags ? the pressure and quality is not there at united.
that's why they are out of the champions league and city win the group without any pressure

never judge other players at other clubs even with youth being giving game time because the more you have to play at a young age can take years of your career in later life and you can be finished at 27 or 28 because of burnout
playing with injuries and having a injection to get you through takes its toll just asked rooney and owen and most of the class of 92

Some interesting comments on here about Phil Foden, how some feel he had a sub-par game (by his standards). It was noticeable last night on several occasions he seemed to get very frustrated with himself if he misplaced a pass, or his flick didn't come off, almost trying too hard instead of it happening instinctively. He obviously places very high demands on himself in every game, as he should. Hopefully he relaxes and doesn't beat himself up if something doesn't come off. I thought he played quite well last night. Sure not all passes were successful and a couple of shots a bit wayward, but he has real energy and vision, looks for the ball, makes some very intelligent runs for someone so young and always looks to go forward. It says a lot about the standards he's set so far that last night may be seen by some as a dip. Maybe it was, but that will happen occasionally. He's fine, he's learning well, he's going to get more game time and he's going to become more influential. Glad he plays for us!
It is great to have Foden in the team. The only small issue that I have is when he looses possession in dangerous areas for the opposition. I know he is young and will learn but it does answer the question as to why he is not starting league games.

Am I the only one who thought Ake was poor at left back?

His best bits yesterday were when he drifted to his normal position at centre half. I thought the concept of marking a winger as full back was to keep tight and not allow them to control the ball unchallenged. He allowed his opponent the time to control the ball and put him on his back foot by not getting within 10 yards of him.
Well having seen our left backs at close hand maybe Nathan thought that it was the way we play ;-)

It is great to have Foden in the team. The only small issue that I have is when he looses possession in dangerous areas for the opposition. I know he is young and will learn but it does answer the question as to why he is not starting league games.
thought he did ok last night but in second half he had a shot the keeper saved and bowled the ball out Foden was still admiring his shot

Have to weigh up the benefits:
  • momentum and confidence
  • £2m win bonus
  • Game time for important squad players
versus
  • experience for young players

Pep said he wanted players to get 90 mins in their legs before the crucial busy Christmas period so he can be sure they are match fit if selected.

The team is getting into its stride, winning and learning to play together. We are not privy to Peps tactics. I saw lots of through balls being played from deep that was different.

£2m win bonus is not to be sneezed at, especially with all the restrictions from coronavirus. Liverpool failed to beat a low ranked Danish side in spite of Klopp not taking them lightly. United have lost a fortune being relegated to the EUFA cup.

Those who think it was a dead rubber should give heir heads a wobble. Marseille were competing for 3rd place so were certain to be competitive. Good for our more experienced players to sharpen up with all the associated benefits.

How many top players never even played in the Champions League? Plenty of future opportunities for younger players.

I asked for 3 or 4 goals in pre-match thread. City delivered. Thank you !

Reactions: Ric

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.