Marseille (H) - CL | Post-Match Thread

the reason is greenwood has to play for the rags ? the pressure and quality is not there at united.
that's why they are out of the champions league and city win the group without any pressure

never judge other players at other clubs even with youth being giving game time because the more you have to play at a young age can take years of your career in later life and you can be finished at 27 or 28 because of burnout
playing with injuries and having a injection to get you through takes its toll just asked rooney and owen and most of the class of 92
That’s exactly my point
We have the depth of squad that means we don’t have to rely on playing youngsters like the dippers and rags do.
I totally agree that a lot of their young players will burn out...remember what happened to Michael Johnson when he was touted as the next King??!
I fully support Pep’s approach and if young players are good enough they will eventually break into the team like Phil has.
I don’t agree with those wanting to see youngsters thrown in. Making them work for it also helps keep their feet on the ground.

Lots of play the kids to give them experience comments here. I agree with the sentiments but times have moved on.

Before the days of substitutes, youngsters were blooded on the wing. Out of the way where they could do no harm. Later they were given game time as substitutes as advocated by some on here. Now they are given the best opportunity but must prove their worth. Most will fail.

Four issues.
1. Top players have to perform minimum of 7/10 every game. A 9/10 followed by 5/10 doesnt cut the mustard. It is why players drop down the leagues.

2. Manchester City is one of the top sides in the world where players are expected to consistently perform at levels above 7 and up to 10. This is part of the winning mentality to be learned at lower levels and earned at the top.

3. Few players are likely to break through and have a lasting career if not managed and cut short.

4. International games separated U23's from main competitions because players bones were not set and they had not matured. This was reduced to U 21's. Why? The difference in physicality and potential long term effects.

City monitor developments of young players to a degree unheard of a decade before. They look to the long term but still must give priority to short term results.

That’s exactly my point
We have the depth of squad that means we don’t have to rely on playing youngsters like the dippers and rags do.
I totally agree that a lot of their young players will burn out...remember what happened to Michael Johnson when he was touted as the next King??!
I fully support Pep’s approach and if young players are good enough they will eventually break into the team like Phil has.
I don’t agree with those wanting to see youngsters thrown in. Making them work for it also helps keep their feet on the ground.
its simple look after the youth and if they are good enough then time will be worth waiting for them to develop
to many of the best young players in england have been rushed by club and country and before you know it they are struggling and burnt out

football is a greedy sport and clubs want instant success with youth ? you would think manchester city of all clubs would know better than to rush players. because of players like paul lake paul molden michael johnson even SWP should have been world class players with many internationals games under there belts. paul lake should have had been england captain for years

so let protect phil foden and other young talent by bringing them in and out at the right time like last night in a meaningless champions league game ? also i like pep doing what he thinks is right and not flooding the first team with youth. he will bring in 1 or 2 and have them in and around the squad and even lets the youth train with the first team squad at times

the future is looking bright and manchester city in 2 or 3 season could have 3 or 4 of our youth players in the starting 11 and earning there stripes and not being pushed into the action because of bad management

its simple look after the youth and if they are good enough then time will be worth waiting for them to develop
to many of the best young players in england have been rushed by club and country and before you know it they are struggling and burnt out

football is a greedy sport and clubs want instant success with youth ? you would think manchester city of all clubs would know better than to rush players. because of players like paul lake paul molden michael johnson even SWP should have been world class players with many internationals games under there belts. paul lake should have had been england captain for years

so let protect phil foden and other young talent by bringing them in and out at the right time like last night in a meaningless champions league game ? also i like pep doing what he thinks is right and not flooding the first team with youth. he will bring in 1 or 2 and have them in and around the squad and even lets the youth train with the first team squad at times

the future is looking bright and manchester city in 2 or 3 season could have 3 or 4 of our youth players in the starting 11 and earning there stripes and not being pushed into the action because of bad management
Great post mate

Marseille were rubbish, they never showed any ambition to win that game.
On another matter, what’s happened to Bernardo Silva? He’s a shadow of the player he was. I can’t remember the last time he had a good game.

Marseille were rubbish, they never showed any ambition to win that game.
On another matter, what’s happened to Bernardo Silva? He’s a shadow of the player he was. I can’t remember the last time he had a good game.
He's working his bollocks off but absolutely nothing is working for him, his dribbles, shots, through balls, even the bounce of the ball sometimes, nothing is going on his favour. But if we are to draw a positive from it, he's still grafting while in a real rut which says a lot for his character. I expect he'll got some good form at some point.

Do you and others arguing the same think 10 minutes here and there for Doyle and Palmer would:

a) Motivate and inspire them,
b) Contribute to burning them out, or
c) None of our business. It’s whatever Pep says?

Honest answers only, please.

I‘d also be interested to hear who are these all young players who burn out? There are always some who look potential world beaters at 16, 17 or 18 but don‘t go in to live up to it. (Hell, we’ve bought enough of them ourselves. Roberts, Moreno, etc.) But burned out - really?

Last edited:
Do you and others arguing the same think 10 minutes here and there for Doyle and Palmer would:

a) Motivate and inspire them,
b) Contribute to burning them out, or
c) None of our business. It’s whatever Pep says?

Honest answers only, please.

I‘d also be interested to hear who are these all young players who burn out? There are always some who look potential world beaters at 16, 17 or 18 but don‘t go in to live up to it. (Hell, we’ve bought enough of them ourselves. Roberts, Moreno, etc.) But burned out - really?

i can name loads of players like owen & rooney so called superstars at a young age playing at 16 and next thing playing international football ? what am saying is at 28 a player should hitting his peak and not having to drop a level because he can not train proper or the injury he keeps picking up means he plays 1 game in 5 or 6

to list all the so called superstars at 16 only to be finished by the late 20s would take me a good day to list

Honest answer is
if the club that's got a young talent and needs to play them because of bad management and poor signings
then he is at the wrong club

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.