martial arts experts, question..

Ju-Jitsu is a great way to build confidence and discipline, there are no fight contests involved and you learn the art of self defence
I did this for a number of years and acheived black belt status as did my eldest son who trained from being nine years old and now he is thirteen. He was painfully shy and suffered bullying at school before he started, he now has confidence in his own ability and has become quite an outgoing sort of lad with more social awareness

His fitness levels will also vastly improve if needs be

As stated before, find a club with WJJF accreditation

WJJF is the World Ju Jitsu Federation based in Fazackerley in Liverpool and run by Professor Robert Clark, they have a website if you want to see first hand

Good luck

You should look for a place thats nearest to your home, so that your lad can get there with out too much difficulty. There are loads of styles and most of them are phyically demanding. The training can be quite intence and then there is the costs of the suit, protection (pads), insurance and grading as well as the charge for the lessons. I know you said you didn't want him fighting
but most martial art clubs have sparing. As an alternative Boxing is cheap and very effective in building confidence.

heywood blue said:
Ju-Jitsu is a great way to build confidence and discipline, there are no fight contests involved and you learn the art of self defence
I did this for a number of years and acheived black belt status as did my eldest son who trained from being nine years old and now he is thirteen. He was painfully shy and suffered bullying at school before he started, he now has confidence in his own ability and has become quite an outgoing sort of lad with more social awareness

WJJF is the World Ju Jitsu Federation based in Fazackerley in Liverpool and run by Professor Robert Clark, they have a website if you want to see first hand

Good luck

Bob clarke, bloody hell that takes me back...went to a few seminars in pool. Does he still make his combat partner jump around on the floor with nerve strikes lol

talkativesprout said:
heywood blue said:

Good luck

Bob clarke, bloody hell that takes me back...went to a few seminars in pool. Does he still make his combat partner jump around on the floor with nerve strikes lol

The Sensei I was training under at the time once called him Bob after Professor Clark had phoned him at home and introduced himself as Bob. He apparently went ballistic at him and he told him it's never Bob and its always Sensei or Professor
And yes his partners do jump around after his nerve strikes

shadygiz said:
marcus said:
my lad is 10, he isnt the sporty type but im keen to get him involved in something and hopefully drag a bit of comfidence out of him and was thinking a martial art. i know nothing about any of them so which art would be best for him? i dont want one that involves actual 'fighting', more the art itself, any suggestions?

muay thai ;)

That is not a bad suggestion! I boxed for years, when i gave it up i did some muay thai, fucking hell, i didn't know what fit was untill i trained in this! Although the wai kru and the music during fights was cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesey and i didn't get it at all!

shadygiz said:
marcus said:
my lad is 10, he isnt the sporty type but im keen to get him involved in something and hopefully drag a bit of comfidence out of him and was thinking a martial art. i know nothing about any of them so which art would be best for him? i dont want one that involves actual 'fighting', more the art itself, any suggestions?

muay thai ;)

This. Muay Thai. But its about as combative as it gets.
For me its by far the best but each to their own.

I went to Sitnargon Camp in Stockport under Master Sken (google him) and it was really good.
Later moved onto Sale Thai Boxing with Paul Tite - again he was very good.

If you are thinking of TKD stay away from WTF it is all about tournament, you need to investigate the instructor, there are good and bad Instructors and organizations in every Martial Art, interview the Instructor, you are placing your child in his or her arms ask the questions that concern you, if he or she doesn't like it you have your answer, no martial art should be about tournament.

I think you can see for yourself from other posts, Brazilian JiuJitsu is something which will benefit your son, as will Muay Thai

There is no "best" martial art, I can only comment from my own experience.
I was never forced to compete in anything, I wanted to.
Muay Thai is very competitive but as said I wasn't forced to compete.

My advice is to take your son to academies that will provide a mixture of martial arts, they will highlight submission/grappling and also muay thai and traditional boxing.
Some places I'm aware of have GMP coming in and giving talks to the kids, basic street awareness is also taught (how to avoid conflict etc)

Mixed Martial Arts Academies are what I recommend.
Due to the popularity of the sport of MMA these days alot of places have Child-Only classes.
The classes are tailored towards children, fun games such as tag are played before classes start.
This isn't The UFC, your child won't be forced to stomp on some guys head whilst in a cage, he will however learn the basics of key martial arts.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.