martial arts experts, question..

heywood blue said:
talkativesprout said:
heywood blue said:
Ju-Jitsu is a great way to build confidence and discipline, there are no fight contests involved and you learn the art of self defence
I did this for a number of years and acheived black belt status as did my eldest son who trained from being nine years old and now he is thirteen. He was painfully shy and suffered bullying at school before he started, he now has confidence in his own ability and has become quite an outgoing sort of lad with more social awareness

His fitness levels will also vastly improve if needs be

As stated before, find a club with WJJF accreditation

WJJF is the World Ju Jitsu Federation based in Fazackerley in Liverpool and run by Professor Robert Clark, they have a website if you want to see first hand

Good luck

Bob clarke, bloody hell that takes me back...went to a few seminars in pool. Does he still make his combat partner jump around on the floor with nerve strikes lol

The Sensei I was training under at the time once called him Bob after Professor Clark had phoned him at home and introduced himself as Bob. He apparently went ballistic at him and he told him it's never Bob and its always Sensei or Professor
And yes his partners do jump around after his nerve strikes
Didn't seem that uptight (out of the dojo) when he came to do our gradings.

Went to a ground work competition at Winnington Ju Jitsu back in the eighties. Sensei was bob brown, who at the time held the world record for smashing roof slates. Just looked him up now because of this thread, appears he is still at it.

Didnt do to bad in the competition got disqualified in the final for face baring, bloody fix i was 1-0 nil up to his dan grade junior champion and i was blue belt at the time :(

glen quagmire said:
shadygiz said:
marcus said:
my lad is 10, he isnt the sporty type but im keen to get him involved in something and hopefully drag a bit of comfidence out of him and was thinking a martial art. i know nothing about any of them so which art would be best for him? i dont want one that involves actual 'fighting', more the art itself, any suggestions?

muay thai ;)

That is not a bad suggestion! I boxed for years, when i gave it up i did some muay thai, fucking hell, i didn't know what fit was untill i trained in this! Although the wai kru and the music during fights was cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesey and i didn't get it at all!

the wai kru is a dance to honour your trainer (kru) and to also show your balance off to the competitor...i had a wai-kru that involved digging the opponents grave in front of him in his corner, then firing 3 arrows at him, before burying him and then dancing backwards taking the piss with a smug grin

the music during the fights is to keep the rythmn of the fighters...if you notice a lot of muay thai moves and walks are done in time to music...if you look at muay thai fighjters when they move about the ring, they almost seem to dance to the music.....the changing stance and stalking your opponent back into the corner is based on a tiger stalking it's prey

Thanks for the explanation mate! My description sounds a bit shite and disrespectfull to an ancient traditional ritual. What i meant to say was it wasn't for me, i preferred to just come out fighting at the bell.

My brother in law loved it though, and used the same one with the arrows before he fought. He fought his first fight at ashton town hall a few years ago and destroyed some fella from ony moore's gym in ashton. He said the wai kru helped settle his nerves and enabled him to focus on the fight.

crizack said:
can you not just take him boxing? If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well.
Well i`m with you here crizack, you can do all sorts of Jap this Chinese that but there is NO SUBSTITUTE FOR A BIG RIGHT HAND, in boxing its take it and give it, pain that is ! all the jujitsu high karate crap is good for a little bit of fitness but how many would last against a boxer ??? none i would say, Judo though is a good sport, it helps you avoid that big right hand coming your way, and overpowering someone hell bent on having a go !! but not allways.

Guess my opinion was ignored then.....

Why focus on a specific subject unless you wish to compete in it?

What if the BJJ guy was talented enough in Boxing too?

Again, I recommend MMA for your son.
if he does wish to compete in other sports eventually then he's young enough to then focus on that specific sport, in MMA he will pick up all major MA's and will get the feel for what works best for him, without having to compete (unless he requests it).
if he sticks at it he could then develop his fighting style.

Throw your son in a boxing gym, he isn't gonna do much with his back on the floor though is he?
Throw your son in a BJJ School, he isn't gonna do much when his opponent has takedown defence.

So yea, MMA all day ;)

Stevie B said:

if he does wish to compete in other sports eventually then he's young enough to then focus on that specific sport, in MMA he will pick up all major MA's and will get the feel for what works best for him, without having to compete (unless he requests it).

Throw your son in a boxing gym, he isn't gonna do much with his back on the floor though is he?
Throw your son in a BJJ School, he isn't gonna do much when his opponent has takedown defence.

So yea, MMA all day ;)
He doesnt want his son to compete, he wants a discipline. He doesnt want his son to be the hardest fucker around(you cant teach that).

talkativesprout said:
Stevie B said:

So yea, MMA all day ;)
He doesnt want his son to compete, he wants a discipline. He doesnt want his son to be the hardest fucker around(you cant teach that).

And disciplined he will be....

A lot of the recommendations are pretty misguided.He wants to develop his sons personality and confidence through sport.

I've a background in several types of combat sports and american football,and I'm a passionate researcher on developmental pathways etc.

I'd recommend Aikido for your kid.Its a disciplined traditional martial art that teaches self defense through deflection of an opponents attack.Steven Seagal is the most high profile disciple of Aikido.It would also give you as a parent peace of mind that your child would be able to defend himself yet not have you worrying about a phone call that he's punched or kicked another child in the head.

No point in doing Muay Thai,Krav Maga or any kind of MMA.If the child develops a passion for martial arts he'll gravitate to these kinds as he gets older.

Regardless of what you choose martial arts is a great way to develop young people,you've chosen a good approach!

if you are looking at an art for your son to study and apreciate which may help ground your son and give him confidence then may i suggest wing chun. chi sau or sticking hands in english is a fun exercise which is kinda like sparring but more of a game to test yourself and your partner. i've only been doing it a few months and have to say it suits someone not exactly in any kinda shape like myself perfectly an have also just started chen style tai chi, both quite an interesting study of bio mechanics.

my sifus sifu darryl moy does a class somewhere in manchester if you wanna google him.

good luck in your search anyway

also i think wc has a pretty simple counter for that "right hook" for very basic self defence

Get him down to skens in Stockport for him to be taught from the same guy who appeared in batman, corregraphed mortal combat, trained phil nurse, Carl Thomson etc

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.