Martin Demichelis

Status
Not open for further replies.
having gone to the final, it took me a few days to sit down and watch the recording i had set for the match.

i sat down with my wife who is only just starting to take an interest in football. one of her few comments was "that bloke with the ponytail is rubbish"

who said women no nothing about football.

Wrighty Wrexham said:
Hmmm did Vinnie make a mistake coz he was doing Demichelis job??

Where was he for the sunderland goal? Completey lost for pace and was in no mans land once Kompany was beaten!!!

Do you really think he did well and that Lescott would not have been better?

Did he actually win a header???

The Kompany that was playing everyone onside again?

Wrighty Wrexham said:

Where was he for the sunderland goal? Completey lost for pace and was in no mans land once Kompany was beaten!!!

In hindsight, yep, that good ole hindsight, MDM COULD have occupied the space had he continued his run that Borini ran into, but I think that MDM thought that VK had him bottled up in the corner and he retreated to a more central area! I'm surprised that Manuel didn't tell him before KO not to go into a central area if Borini gets a lucky bounce of the ball!!

Wrighty Wrexham said:

Kompany was sweeping him, that's the way it works. Vinny misjudged it end of story and instead of showing him out to our left tried to cut across and got behind him.

Lescott is a good agricultural defender but it worries me when people suggest he is any sort of footballer with the ball at his feet.

Dont think Lescott is any good at all with the ball at his feet!

But he is a good no nonsense defender dont think he should of played aainst Barca but have no idea why he didnt play against Sunderland especially as Pants was played then why not Lescott!

I genuinely think he had a pretty good game on Sunday, the criticism laid at him by pundits and the like is simplistic and bordering on prejudiced!

I still think he made a mistake by slowing up after he thought Vinny had sorted out the ball over to Borini, you should never just assume like that, especially near your own net. Only negative for him on Sunday.

quiet_riot said:
Wrighty Wrexham said:

The Kompany that was playing everyone onside again?

Surely MD should have continued his run on the inside once vinnie had committed himself to going after borini so the first thing borini seen upon beating vinnie would have been MD.
Watch a replay, MD for some reason checks his run and loses a couple of yards
Sniffing out danger and putting cover on for your defensive partner is what good partnerships are about and i just think vinnie plays with a bit of anxiety when partnered with MD.

Wrighty Wrexham said:

I think Vinny's man enough to accept that he should have dealt with Borini better. He certainly wouldn't blame Demi.

Who knows if Lescott would have been better? That's total conjecture. What we know as fact is that the move leading to the third goal was started by Demichelis.

I think the reality is, MDM is great on the front foot, he's just about as good at Kompany for stepping forwards and making interceptions or tackles up the field, but he is a bit of a liability going backwards. Like it or not, everyone we play is going to do what Sunderland did, and just play the ball in behind him to expose his lack of pace (and his preference to step forwards). Strikers with any nouse about them will do what Borini did, fake dropping short then spin in behind and leave him for dead. This is going to put a lot of pressure on Kompany to sweep in behind him all the time, while also dealing with his side of the pitch at the same time, but I don't think we really have a better alternative for the time being, without drastically changing the way we play. None of our other CB's are really any better at dealing with ball in behind, while having other weaknesses thrown in at the same time.

Wrighty Wrexham said:

First of all he won plenty of headers.

Secondly Borini makes his original run behind Demichelis and with Kompany being slightly behind plays him on (not that we were trying to keep him offside) so he follows the run.

Now we can all question whether he should have been in a better position to cover Komps but if Komps either clears the ball properly or doesnt even make a challenge and just shepherds Borini down the line there is no goal.

At times in the second half they both took wild swipes at the ball which resulted in it being given away cheaply, however Tyler and Neville only decided to highlight Demichelis' error. It was the right choice to play him in this game ahead of Lescott.

All our centre halves have made mistakes this season yet everyone is over Demichelis' straight away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.