Martin Demichelis

Status
Not open for further replies.
JoeMercer'sWay said:
I'd go further and say that I think Vinnie has also perhaps started to believe that his defensive partners are the weak links and trying too hard to show how good he is and how he's number one and on occasion, like Borini on Sunday, trying to patrol the back line as if we play one centre back.

I think this has lead to Vinnie making more mistakes (Barca, Sunderland) but because he's Vinnie Demi gets the blame for it, despite the fact that I think Vinnie should be leaving Demi to his half of the backline and covering, which if he'd done that on sunday he'd have intercepted Borini cleanly.

I think Vinnie was poor on Sunday with that mistake and his passing which put us into trouble, I think Demi is being made to be the scapegoat because people are refusing to accept or understand the reasons why Lescott isn't in the team, because they don't dare to criticise Vinnie and partly because I think a few people still want a stick to even indirectly beat Ferran and Txiki with and not paying over the odds for a CB is now an excuse to do so.

All that aside I think even Vinnie is making too many individual mistakes for a world class CB, he needs to control that impulse he has of going off and trying to do his own thing as opposed to sticking to what we do as a team.

Anyway this is a thread about Demi so I'll leave it there.
I agree with much of what you say. MD seems to get stick for every goal we concede, and even got stick when we didn't concede against Norwich, for me he's done OK this season, he's made errors of course, but so have all the defenders.

That said for much of the first half we were 244 against Sunderland, little surprise that we looked vulnerable defensively.

cleavers said:
JoeMercer'sWay said:
I'd go further and say that I think Vinnie has also perhaps started to believe that his defensive partners are the weak links and trying too hard to show how good he is and how he's number one and on occasion, like Borini on Sunday, trying to patrol the back line as if we play one centre back.

I think this has lead to Vinnie making more mistakes (Barca, Sunderland) but because he's Vinnie Demi gets the blame for it, despite the fact that I think Vinnie should be leaving Demi to his half of the backline and covering, which if he'd done that on sunday he'd have intercepted Borini cleanly.

I think Vinnie was poor on Sunday with that mistake and his passing which put us into trouble, I think Demi is being made to be the scapegoat because people are refusing to accept or understand the reasons why Lescott isn't in the team, because they don't dare to criticise Vinnie and partly because I think a few people still want a stick to even indirectly beat Ferran and Txiki with and not paying over the odds for a CB is now an excuse to do so.

All that aside I think even Vinnie is making too many individual mistakes for a world class CB, he needs to control that impulse he has of going off and trying to do his own thing as opposed to sticking to what we do as a team.

Anyway this is a thread about Demi so I'll leave it there.
I agree with much of what you say. MD seems to get stick for every goal we concede, and even got stick when we didn't concede against Norwich, for me he's done OK this season, he's made errors of course, but so have all the defenders.

That said for much of the first half we were 244 against Sunderland, little surprise that we looked vulnerable defensively.

We were really only exposed once (the goal). The one where Vinnie cleared should never have been as it was clear offside, not given.

I got so angry in a match day thread I called him a rag... Thought I'd just confess that now and take the punishment like a man.

In any case we need to get a true world class partner for Kompany next season, the fact we've got a piece of silverware for the season seems to have really mellowed me out.

Rated the 5th best player on the club here:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.whoscored.com/Teams/167" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.whoscored.com/Teams/167</a>

Obviously that is rubbish. All of these football rating services have their deficiencies and can spit out completely screwy results (like England's squad being ranked higher than Brazil by FIFA for a lot of last year, Switzerland being rated 6th right now, etc.)

The point I would make is that the guy is not completely unsuited to be in the team and utterly hopeless when you take into account the wide variety of statistics that whoscored uses. (Headers won, key clearances, errors leading to goals, etc etc etc etc.)

Also, Lescott fares far worse than him per their metrics.

I know that from what I have seen watching him he does not appear to be slower than Lescott. He obviously seems to get Pellers' system better than Lescott. (Good god, watch the Newcastle League Cup match again if you disagree - particularly the first half. Though in fairness Lescott was better after the break.)

Also, Niall Quinn and the rest of the media twunts are correct that Pellers is playing favourites? That makes absolutely no sense. Pellers is trying to validate his entire professional career - perhaps even his entire life's work - in managing this club. And he is probably on a damnably short leash with the Board. So he's going to be all, like "well of course Lescott gives us a better chance to win, but me and MD here has been mates since way back. So bugger off, Lescott, and let the chips fall where they may."

Utter foolishness. But that is precisely what the media and a bit chunk of this forum seems to hold as its position here.

It isn't Martin's fault that he is not a world-class centre-back. The guy was signed as emergency cover and was never supposed to be a first-choice ever-present. Then Nastasic regressed and pretty much pulled a Rodwell-esque repeat engagement with the trainer's table all year. Lescott has regressed to my eyes and isn't great for this style of play to begin with.

So we go gather up the torches, form a mob, and howl for the blood of MDM? Like any of this is his fault somehow? The only thing this guy has done is to go out there and work his arse off in spite of the limitations of his age and diminishing skill set. I'm very glad to have him. I wish certain drama queen crybaby types who throw a hissy fit when not passed to would emulate this attitude a little bit more. (Sorry, Balkanistas, had to get that one in.)

sir baconface said:
There were even posters on the rag caf match thread saying the same. Now I wouldn't normally hold that place up as a font of footballing knowledge. My point is it's so blatant that even they feel moved to comment.
I agree about ragcafe not being the font of footballing knowledge, but if we're going to quote opposition fans comments as an indicator of how one of our players is perceived, it's only fair to show those comments in context. Here are the first comments made that mentioned Demichelis during the Cup Final, in the order that they were made...

Kompany is fecking dogshite. The prick is fecking full of himself and I love seeing him exposed like that. He was at fault for Demichelis' red card against Barcelona, which went largely unreported as Demichelis is a handy scapegoat.
Very good work and finish from Borini. I wouldn't blame just Kompany there, players tend to dribble past defenders, Demichelis was nowhere near to help him, if he just tracked back they would easily win the ball.
He's been consistently terrible this year although that seems to be put down to Demichelis instead of Kompany. Noodle got it right about him thinking he's invincible(or something along those lines) these days
If that was Demechelis doing what Kompany did they would be constantly talking about it.
What the feck are Tyler and Neville on about in commentary, mentioning Demichelis every five seconds?
Are they fecking blind? It was Kompany's howler which led to the goal; Demichelis was taken out of the game with a fabulous through ball, that's it.
I'm sorry but the stick Demichelis gets is ridiculous.
Are these pundits taking the piss? Even when Kompany is clearly at fault, it is still somehow Demichelis' fault
Demichelis taking all the criticism from Sky because they can't change their preconceived notions about Kompany.
Demechelis just got beat for pace that's all, his positioning was ok.

the criticism he gets is extremely over the top. he's really not that bad and people need to look for themselves and not join the bandwagon.

if he makes 1 mistake his whole performance, regardless how good it is, is ruined. even if its a little mistake. he had a very solid game at Wembley and its a shame people can't see it.

he's a lot better than lescott imo.

mcfc2607 said:
the criticism he gets is extremely over the top. he's really not that bad and people need to look for themselves and not join the bandwagon.

if he makes 1 mistake his whole performance, regardless how good it is, is ruined. even if its a little mistake. he had a very solid game at Wembley and its a shame people can't see it.

he's a lot better than lescott imo.

Correct and good post ! Demechelis gets slaughtered for even the tiniest of mistakes and now he even gets blamed when the mistake is made by another defender, e.g. last Sunday ! Ridiculous. The BBC highlights laid into Demechelis big time when he did a poor clearance, yet Kompany did a similar thing at least twice in the same game. Guess what ? Not even a mention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.