Martin Samuel today in the mail.

paulchapo

He as usual makes some good points but like most journalists he really should do a bit of research if he is going to make statements like this.

''At one stage in the second half, Wayne Rooney goes to take a corner from the left. Clearly visible is a hail of tiny missiles as he stands, back to the fans, ready to restart the play. And it is this bit of footage that kills, dead, the idea that player provocation played any part in the events of Sunday.

Rooney wasn’t taunting the home fans, he didn’t even turn to them. Met with the standard sea of angry, contorted faces as he went to take his kick, he merely rounded to face the game and got on with his job. So there was no excuse, no mitigation beyond hatred and jealousy.''

Were you asleep when he scored his two goals in the first half then Martin and missed his provocative reaction afterwards?Also all the bile he has been spouting on twitter in the last year?...Oh and the old jealousy word rears it's head again now they have won a derby......Jesus!

There are none so blind as those who will not see ...

i haven't heard Fergie mention Citys penalty record since Sundays ref didn't give us one !

Martin Samuels normally sees the bigger picture when it comes to things like this. For some reason he's taken quite a narrow view on this one.
Rooney's 2 tackles early doors were designed to stir the Man U fans up and create an atmosphere, nothing wrong with that except he should have been booked after the second challenge. He was bombarded with coins whilst taking a corner and there is no excuse for that, we moaned like fuck when Bellamy was hit by a bottle at Old Trafford, so we've got to hold our hands and say our fans were out of order. When Van Persie scored Rooney had no interest in his own fans, his only thought was to wind the City fans up (again no reason to invade the pitch or throw things) by sliding towards the East Stand. The media seems determined to ignore his actions and concentrate solely on the coin throwing incident. Man U have a number of players who are obnoxious and arrogant in their behaviour when it comes to derby matches (Evra, Rooney, Ferdinand and now Jones seems to be "up for it") and whatever anyone says, it causes trouble. What makes me laugh with these pricks is that one's a scouser, one's a cokney and one's fucking French, none of them have any allegiance to Manchester or supported Man U growing up but they act as if it's World War III.
All I ask for, as a City fan, is that incidents are dealt with consistently. I don't even care if I don't agree with the decision, as long as they apply the same rules and the same logic for each player and each club, at least then no-one can claim ignorance of the consequences. It now appears that Gareth Barry is the subject of an FA charge of using "foul and abusive" language. If that's the case and he is found guilty, then Rooney should miss half the season given the number of times he blatantly abuses match officials. Somehow I can't see that happening.

I normally find myself in agreement with Mr. Samuel but not on this occasion.

Before I go on I want to point out that I believe throwing coins from within a crowd at footballers is a scummy and cowardly act.

Now what I disagree with Martin over is, he thinks its perfectly acceptable for a professional footballer to intentionally goad opposition fans, he couldn't be more wrong.

I'll put it like this, if you were playinge a Sunday league game and scored a goal, you then proceed to run to the sideline where the opposition team's manager, subs and fans are watching and celebrate in front of them with the sole purpose of antagonising them, what do you think is going to happen? You're going to get a slap arouind the chops for acting the twat.

Your actions will be frowned upon and you will get no sympathy as you will be told you got what's coming to you for the way you goaded them.

Am I right?

Why then should a different attitude be taken if they're professional players doing the goading? If anything it should be frowned upon more, no?

Let's have this right.

I had no idea that Rooney had celebrated in front of the City fans. If I'm honest I couldn't care less.

But when Rooney was running over to take that corner I said to my mate "You watch, he'll get hit by a missile here". Then I saw him pointing at the floor and said "See?"

Crowds quoting "incitement" are pathetic buck-passers. Players get dogs abuse from crowds. If they want to give a bit back it doesn't bother me. It's exactly the same as the Adebayor situation. And if City insist on putting their most vociferous fans right by the corner flag this sort of thing will happen from time to time.

Anyone who throws stuff at players is a fucktard of the highest order.

I dont care if a player were to do a freaking tango in front of the home fans after scoring it doesnt justify trying to injure him/them.

It seems a minority of fans think that social norms dont apply when there is a game of football being played well they do so grow the fuck up you plebs.

Just been talking about this on another thread
I cant get my head around this he wrote

On Sunday, United celebrated in front of their own fans, who happened to be adjacent to a Manchester City section. There was nothing provocative in what they did, unless winning a contentious derby match late is now reclassified as incitement

The cookie monster said:
Just been talking about this on another thread
I cant get my head around this he wrote

On Sunday, United celebrated in front of their own fans, who happened to be adjacent to a Manchester City section. There was nothing provocative in what they did, unless winning a contentious derby match late is now reclassified as incitement

Email him the still showing Shrek celebrating in front of the City fans.

Didsbury Dave said:
Let's have this right.

I had no idea that Rooney had celebrated in front of the City fans. If I'm honest I couldn't care less.

But when Rooney was running over to take that corner I said to my mate "You watch, he'll get hit by a missile here". Then I saw him pointing at the floor and said "See?"

Crowds quoting "incitement" are pathetic buck-passers. Players get dogs abuse from crowds. If they want to give a bit back it doesn't bother me. It's exactly the same as the Adebayor situation. And if City insist on putting their most vociferous fans right by the corner flag this sort of thing will happen from time to time.

You had no idea he celebrated in front of our fans,yet you were at the match??Odd statement.

I agree,i have no problem him giving us some,we give it back,coin throwing etcetera is cowardly and wrong.The players could deflect some of the bile with a bit more humour.I remember John O'Shea warming up at a derby and getting sung at,''O'Shea takes it up the a****!'' He laughed,turned his back and started doing stretches bending over.Laughter all round and a round of applause.Quality and the situation defused.Even Ferdinand injected some humour in his tweet afterwards and credit to him for that.

Didsbury Dave said:
Let's have this right.

Absolutely. Buck Passing is a horrid 'art form'. Akin to a thug punching somebody on the side of the chin because someone's half supped pint of ale 'may' have been looking at the perpetrator's fed up wife a little funny...
Supporters will be watching behind net curtains before we know it...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.