Match programmes

mcfcantc

Hi lads/lasses.
I'm after some advice really. My son has recently inherited a rather large and very extensive, mainly city, programme collection dating back to the 50s. It is going to take us both some length of time and effort to organise this collection, but what I wanted to know was which of our programmes are the rarest and most sought after. He has absolutely no intention of selling any of them, we just both could do with some advice on what to look out for so we can keep these ones seperate.
Thanks.

The Cup Winners Cup Final against Gornik in 1970 (if in top condition, not water damaged) is probably the most valuable if the collection only dates back to the 50s. The less valuable but interesting ones will be important matches such as FA & League Cup finals, Newcastle away when we clinched the title in '68, some less common European aways, the 6-1 at the swamp etc.

Other than that maybe programmes from postponed games that were printed but not officially issued, they can be quite sought after.

Other than that maybe programmes from postponed games that were printed but not officially issued, they can be quite sought after.
I have one of those. Can't remember from when, guessing sometime around late 80s early 90s. Bought it from the shop at Maine Road the next home game.

Hi lads/lasses.
I'm after some advice really. My son has recently inherited a rather large and very extensive, mainly city, programme collection dating back to the 50s. It is going to take us both some length of time and effort to organise this collection, but what I wanted to know was which of our programmes are the rarest and most sought after. He has absolutely no intention of selling any of them, we just both could do with some advice on what to look out for so we can keep these ones seperate.
Thanks.

My dad's mate called Dave he's a rag but a fellow blue he knew called Bernard died a good while back maybe a good few years ago and he was obsessed with a major collection of his own, he had an absolutely massive programme collection every home and away match possible for way over 60 years at the time and every major match in our complete history he could, he paid a lots of money obtaining everything he could and wanted every single programme according to Dave, Bernard also proclaimed to him he had the most "nobody has a bigger collection than me" whether that's true or not I don't know, Dave certainly believed him though and although many collectors are very humble I presume except to a select few friends like in this instance Bernard was confident of that, for the rarest ones Bernard paid big money for them some a good chunk are even reserve team and youth team matches whenever possible because it was his passion.

Dave told me one of Bernard's quirkier possessions is a super rare Manchester derby programme he obtained on the day with a difference, they played a Cricket match at Lancashire Cricket Ground I think either in the late 60s or early 70s featuring all the stars of both teams at the time golden eras I've heard and it was a single sheet programme preserved in very good condition, maybe @Gary James would know more about the actual game that was played I don't know anything about the innings and outs of it, apparently as far as match memorabilia goes it's one of the most rare or certainly more quirky ones to find in good condition without natural wear and tear as it was a novelty event.

I'm not exactly sure what happened to Bernard's absolutely massive collection, probably not too dissimilar to your own newly obtained collection I imagine but Dave reckoned City should've defo been looking at Bernard's, in a sense maybe they should be looking at yours for some of the more rare matches at least... Dave even as a rag says it was the most amazing collection he'd ever seen.
I just hope somebody is preserving them all somewhere in the best possible condition as it's all part of our wonderful history, as the years go by most will become very weathered and degrade over time if not properly kept in a good environment.

My dad's mate called Dave he's a rag but a fellow blue he knew called Bernard died a good while back maybe a good few years ago and he was obsessed with a major collection of his own, he had an absolutely massive programme collection every home and away match possible for way over 60 years at the time and every major match in our complete history he could, he paid a lots of money obtaining everything he could and wanted every single programme according to Dave, Bernard also proclaimed to him he had the most "nobody has a bigger collection than me" whether that's true or not I don't know, Dave certainly believed him though and although many collectors are very humble I presume except to a select few friends like in this instance Bernard was confident of that, for the rarest ones Bernard paid big money for them some a good chunk are even reserve team and youth team matches whenever possible because it was his passion.

Dave told me one of Bernard's quirkier possessions is a super rare Manchester derby programme he obtained on the day with a difference, they played a Cricket match at Lancashire Cricket Ground I think either in the late 60s or early 70s featuring all the stars of both teams at the time golden eras I've heard and it was a single sheet programme preserved in very good condition, maybe @Gary James would know more about the actual game that was played I don't know anything about the innings and outs of it, apparently as far as match memorabilia goes it's one of the most rare or certainly more quirky ones to find in good condition without natural wear and tear as it was a novelty event.

I'm not exactly sure what happened to Bernard's absolutely massive collection, probably not too dissimilar to your own newly obtained collection I imagine but Dave reckoned City should've defo been looking at Bernard's, in a sense maybe they should be looking at yours for some of the more rare matches at least... Dave even as a rag says it was the most amazing collection he'd ever seen.
I just hope somebody is preserving them all somewhere in the best possible condition as it's all part of our wonderful history, as the years go by most will become very weathered and degrade over time if not properly kept in a good environment.
A very long winded way of not actually answering the question

A great tale and thanks for that. What you referred to about preserving them is our number one priority. There's just so much to go through it's gonna take some time.

A very long winded way of not actually answering the question
I never claimed to have the answer mate but I tagged someone who might know about this, Gary James he knows a lot about the club and maybe he's met a few collectors in his time.

Also the thread title said match programmes so I added a story about a match programme collector that I was made aware of in life, the kind of story I'd expect to see here maybe wondering if anybody else here might've possibly knew Bernard a City fan with a massive programme collection.

A great tale and thanks for that. What you referred to about preserving them is our number one priority. There's just so much to go through it's gonna take some time.

Thanks and best of luck mate it defo sounds like you've been blessed with this great collection, somebody obviously thought very highly of your son and probably you too both being big blues.

I hope it a rewarding trawl through our history as you go through them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.