Match programmes

My dad's mate called Dave he's a rag but a fellow blue he knew called Bernard died a good while back maybe a good few years ago and he was obsessed with a major collection of his own, he had an absolutely massive programme collection every home and away match possible for way over 60 years at the time and every major match in our complete history he could, he paid a lots of money obtaining everything he could and wanted every single programme according to Dave, Bernard also proclaimed to him he had the most "nobody has a bigger collection than me" whether that's true or not I don't know, Dave certainly believed him though and although many collectors are very humble I presume except to a select few friends like in this instance Bernard was confident of that, for the rarest ones Bernard paid big money for them some a good chunk are even reserve team and youth team matches whenever possible because it was his passion.

Dave told me one of Bernard's quirkier possessions is a super rare Manchester derby programme he obtained on the day with a difference, they played a Cricket match at Lancashire Cricket Ground I think either in the late 60s or early 70s featuring all the stars of both teams at the time golden eras I've heard and it was a single sheet programme preserved in very good condition, maybe @Gary James would know more about the actual game that was played I don't know anything about the innings and outs of it, apparently as far as match memorabilia goes it's one of the most rare or certainly more quirky ones to find in good condition without natural wear and tear as it was a novelty event.

I'm not exactly sure what happened to Bernard's absolutely massive collection, probably not too dissimilar to your own newly obtained collection I imagine but Dave reckoned City should've defo been looking at Bernard's, in a sense maybe they should be looking at yours for some of the more rare matches at least... Dave even as a rag says it was the most amazing collection he'd ever seen.
I just hope somebody is preserving them all somewhere in the best possible condition as it's all part of our wonderful history, as the years go by most will become very weathered and degrade over time if not properly kept in a good environment.
Cricket match has its own thread here https://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/threads/city-v-united-cricket-1968.334808/

somebody somewhere should be trying to obtain the full list of every game we've ever played, and try to get a programme for it. This is the club's responsibility, and is our history and heritage.
When I set up the original museum and archive that is exactly what I tried to do. The history section of Blue Moon now carries every competitive 1st team fixture and City have a collection of match programmes donated and loaned to the club over the years. Not every programme is there by any stretch of the imagination (Swales & Bernard had the club’s archive thrown into a skip in the early 90s) but it was a start. I’m pretty certain they’ve carried on adding to it since Jan 2009 when I stopped any formal involvement with the club’s archive.

I do have details of every first team fixture and every central league game, plus most FA a youth Cup games up to about ten years ago.

When I set up the original museum and archive that is exactly what I tried to do. The history section of Blue Moon now carries every competitive 1st team fixture and City have a collection of match programmes donated and loaned to the club over the years. Not every programme is there by any stretch of the imagination (Swales & Bernard had the club’s archive thrown into a skip in the early 90s) but it was a start. I’m pretty certain they’ve carried on adding to it since Jan 2009 when I stopped any formal involvement with the club’s archive.

I do have details of every first team fixture and every central league game, plus most FA a youth Cup games up to about ten years ago.
It would have been one of your lists from various sources without doubt Gary, that i envisaged being used. The club though, should have a large museum, maybe doubling up as something profitable for non match days.

That Skip story is amazing, dread to think what was lost by that pair of idiots!

Hi lads/lasses.
I'm after some advice really. My son has recently inherited a rather large and very extensive, mainly city, programme collection dating back to the 50s. It is going to take us both some length of time and effort to organise this collection, but what I wanted to know was which of our programmes are the rarest and most sought after. He has absolutely no intention of selling any of them, we just both could do with some advice on what to look out for so we can keep these ones seperate.
Thanks.
If you are on Facebook there is the Manchester City Programme page. Here you can ask lots of questions and chat with fellow programmer collectors

Dave told me one of Bernard's quirkier possessions is a super rare Manchester derby programme he obtained on the day with a difference, they played a Cricket match at Lancashire Cricket Ground I think either in the late 60s or early 70s featuring all the stars of both teams at the time golden eras I've heard and it was a single sheet programme preserved in very good condition, maybe @Gary James would know more about the actual game that was played I don't know anything about the innings and outs of it, apparently as far as match memorabilia goes it's one of the most rare or certainly more quirky ones to find in good condition without natural wear and tear as it was a novelty event.
Here is film of the cricket game - sadly no sound.

Independent feature on the game

Last edited:
Here is film of the cricket game - sadly no sound.

Independent feature on the game

A good few years ago my late dad one day said I’m making some changes to my will do you want my programme collection or my gold long service watch. So the programmes are all Wigan Rugby home games from 1950 to 2016 plus about 10 years of Wigan Athletic and the only thing of any remote interest FA cup final programmes from early 1950’s to again present date so about2016.
Now having no interest in either Wigan teams and being a blue I pondered for about a nano second and said watch. On my dads passing two and half years ago yep I got the fucking lot and my brother got the watch.
I know it’s not City related but tried everywhere to get rid of the programmes apart from the FA cup and all ended up in the bin, apart from about 4 I sold on eBay for the sum of fuck all. Hope that helps.

Hi lads/lasses.
I'm after some advice really. My son has recently inherited a rather large and very extensive, mainly city, programme collection dating back to the 50s. It is going to take us both some length of time and effort to organise this collection, but what I wanted to know was which of our programmes are the rarest and most sought after. He has absolutely no intention of selling any of them, we just both could do with some advice on what to look out for so we can keep these ones seperate.
Thanks.

I collect pre-war football annuals so don't know much about programmes but pr
Hi lads/lasses.
Thanks.

If I were you I'd Google football programme forums, join one and ask your question. No idea what drives the value of programmes....I have a programme in decent condition for the famous 1953 Blackpool cup final signed personally by Stanley Matthews and Stan Mortensen which you would think would be worth a bob or two but I paid £33 for. Good luck- hope you have a gem in the collection.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.