Match Thread | Southampton vs Man City (11/01/23)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just shite tbh, shows the drop-off from a few of our first teamers and then also how carried some of the others are by the more dynamic players.

Philips looks miles off it, Gomez clearly isn't particularly good, but that front 5 all should be good enough to do something but none of them look like they've got the bottle to be the main man. Grealish would happily run the ball back into our own goal if no one kicked him before he got there, Foden anonymous, Gundogan invisible and Palmer looks so low on confidence compared to when he first came up, he now looks scared to make mistakes. Poor Alvarez hasn't even had a sniff of the ball.

Just shite tbh, needs Bernardo, needs kev, needs a wide player willing to actually do something
Sometimes the drop off from first-teamers looks worst because of the fact the replacements are not first-teamers! It’s difficult to develop a team rhythm at the drop of a hat without the benefits of match time together. I am not excusing tonight’s first half performance, I am just commenting on the drop-off.

Crikes that was so bad - not one of our leadership players doing anything and the fringe players not showing they deserve a place. I can always accept being soundly beaten by better players but to be done because they are not working hard enough is not a good look.

We have zero midfield - Calvin given his big chance but looks lost, his first thought is back he is not linking anything and not making a tackle. I hope it's a blip for him but he looks like a Northern Premier player playing his first game in the bigs! Makes you realise how vital Rodders is to anything we do.

Kyle and Eric are, as the senior pros, just not helping their team mates by playing slow and then playing hospital passes. Gundo also looking heavy.

Only good news is Pep will be furious especially with those who are wanting him to pick them more. We do have the options if we really want to win this but it is not great that on a night when some should be rested they have to step in. Anyway it cannot get any worse.

Finally Cole needs to realise that even when you have the ability you still have to put in the hard work. he's been picked off too many times and looks not ready. I have no doubt he has the talent but without work he will never make his mark at a top club - all in his court.

Three changes afoot so we can easily come back from 2-0. The biggest disappointment for me is Phillips who you would have thought would be busting a gut to make his mark. In fact I'd say that first 45 is the worst half I've ever seen from a midfielder since Bobby Shinton.

All he has to do is play people in their proper positions and we’d best 70, 80% of teams.

Getting a team to play as badly as they have done in that first half takes some serious fucking about.

That's it exactly. It's hard enough putting a vastly changed side out, but then changing the formation and their positions gets a first half like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.