Mateo Kovacic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think anyone has claimed otherwise. Nobody said he should be starting every week. He's 18.

That being said, he did play in games after his initial introduction. His debut season consisted of more than twice as many games as Foden's debut season. In a position which carries far more responsibility, as well.

If you're asking why he wasn't a nailed on starter, it's because we're Manchester City and we have some of the best players on the planet. That seems straight forward, no?

Your perception of the situation is completely at odds with mine is I'm not sure we're going to reach common ground.

But what I will say is that people seem to be getting increasingly impatient with academy players.

The old adage "if you're good enough, you're old enough" comes to mind. In Lewis I just don't see how he'll break through to any satisfactory effect.

I'm not one of the people who "seem to be getting impatient with academy players".

Far from it.

What're you smoking??

He's technically good [not great] on the ball and knows how to recycle. Holds on to the ball too long and invites pressure without having the 'man strength' too hold that pressure off, which is why we see him jump in the air with the contact he gets and that's, also, an irritating trait he needs rid of [a la Grealish].
Almost everything that is wrong with Rico's game is something that will naturally improve with age and experience though. Even Yaya Toure was saying how he had to learn to better protect the ball when he first came to England, and he was a brick shithouse.

They need to be given time, and not judged immediately. Unfortunately, that's what happens on a forum. So long as they're not reading it, no harm, really.
Very, very few academy players will break into the world's best team — because that, plainly and simply, is what we're now talking about.

Oddly enough, I think the way people have been talking about Cole Palmer this season really put me off coming on here.

Don't get me wrong, we've all been guilty of slagging players off at some point and being melodramatic about it but people seemed to enjoy twisting the knife into a kid who has been through injury problems and confidence issue as a result.

But that's the more extreme, nasty, bitter side of people on here. The less serious stuff about expecting academy players to be fully grown, fully developed, veteran pros after their first season is just a bit odd.

The old adage "if you're good enough, you're old enough" comes to mind. In Lewis I just don't see how he'll break through to any satisfactory effect.

I'm not one of the people who "seem to be getting impatient with academy players".

Far from it.

He is good enough. Hence why he's here.

Again, if you can't see it, that's on you but I have no doubt that you will eventually. Hence, patience.

Almost everything that is wrong with Rico's game is something that will naturally improve with age and experience though. Even Yaya Toure was saying how he had to learn to better protect the ball when he first came to England, and he was a brick shithouse.

I don't disagree with this assessment, but I think he'll end up going out on loan to build this up.

Don't see him having time to do that from the bench.

He is good enough. Hence why he's here.

Again, if you can't see it, that's on you but I have no doubt that you will eventually. Hence, patience.

I see plenty.

Saw Stones capable of playing mid years ago. Saw Bernardo as better in final third than recycling from def mid. See Walker as not finished as a RB when people are covering him with Akanji or Stones. See Dias as not ready for Cap. I see Palmer needing to simplify his game in order to kick on or end up going out on loan.

You're not the only one who has thoughts about the players that fit into a niche team. I say 'niche' because a standard player would get into a standard team and therefore most City products would walk into 95% of sides on ability.

Guardiola doesn't do standard and Lewis is in danger of going out on loan based on what players we're after and Guardiola's habit of new tactics and formation play every year.

Guardiola doesn't do standard and Lewis is in danger of going out on loan based on what players we're after and Guardiola's habit of new tactics and formation play every year.

Again, our perceptions of the situation couldn't be further apart. To avoid risk of drawing this out and further derailing the thread, we'll just have to agree to disagree for now.

Besides the Rice nonsense, you manage to write off our likely new signing and dismiss our promising young academy graduate… kudos to you. (If I was a 20 yo player coming thru, I’d probably be browsing sites such as this, so I hope James doesn’t see such an asinine comment!).

All McAtee is though is a potentially promising youngster. Certainly not a player yet ready to improve the first team. We need to be improving the squad with quality signings, particularly given how good Gundo was for us. Kovacic is not that level either, it’s a signing like the notorious window of Sinclair and Garcia. As Treble winners, with a huge number of games next season, if we’re aiming for another Treble or even better then we need to be signing higher quality players. Kovacic is ok as a squad filler for some CL games and league cup, a bit like Phillips seems to be. But what we should be doing is trying to sign other clubs best players, not average squad fillers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.