Mateo Kovacic

Status
Not open for further replies.
He does not score or assist, with 5 goals in 200 appearances. If he is to replace Gundogan then his numbers need to be better.

I'd prefer Frenkie in that equation, but it would still be decent.

I think Frenkie's stock has risen at Barcelona. If they can sort their wage bill without offloading him I'm sure they'll look to. He's an exceptional talent and perfect for us. He's got the pace to get up and down the pitch alongside that magical ability to keep the ball and control the tempo of the play. If Bernardo is off then we should see if there's a swap deal we can do, if he's up for it. Probably an unlikely move though.

Kovacic is an excellent footballer though and he would bring us the extra pace and dynamism we've been lacking in midfield this season at times. I would be supportive of bringing him in, if it was ultimately only for a few seasons. Turns 29 in May so entering his peak and has bucket loads of experience and knows our league so he's a perfect candidate in that regard considering the age of some of our other players and ensuring we don't have a drop in levels whilst younger players adapt.

He does not score or assist, with 5 goals in 200 appearances. If he is to replace Gundogan then his numbers need to be better.

Gundogan wasn’t a goalscoring midfielder when we signed him. Slightly better numbers than Kova at Chelsea but still low. 15 goals in 157 games. Pep can change him

I’d be happy with both. Is Frenkie capable of covering in Rodri’s position?

I think he could do that role if you needed him to for the final 20-30 minutes of a game, but he's much better being in a Bernardo/Gundogan box to box role dictating the pace of the game alongside a DM. He impressed me against the rags. He was the one trying to make things happen when they were chasing an equaliser. One minute back defending and the next bursting forwards with the ball and playing perfectly weighted passes. He's much quicker than many think as well. He's very similar to Bernardo but perhaps with a little less tenacity and more pace. We'd be getting the better deal if we could swap them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.