Matheus Nunes

Status
Not open for further replies.
My posting has fallen through and still has no start date. Waiting for another school, so just hitting the remainder of this window hard and seeing what comes back.

Not sure why I have to explain anything, certainly pretty disappointing to read a cheap shot suggesting to any lack of integrity.

I've got bills to pay like everyone else, barring Ric!
Sorry to hear your school posting has fallen through, hope you get another one soon. Good luck with the other stuff. If you aren't going to be working us all up into a frenzy of summer anymore at least I might get some jobs done in the garden. I still remember the Messi thread in that lovely summer, nothing got done thanks to you!

Yes. He was great that game. Thats the Nunes I saw at Sporting.

That was Cunha. Nunes had a good game (by his usual standards) but it was Cunha who was turning and running at the Reds defence.

He will do well with you guys (when he plays) but for Wolves he is probably a luxury we can't afford. Last season he played 31 games and got one goal and one assist.

He is a good dribbler and gets the team up the pitch, but he does loose the ball and put the defence under pressure. When we only scored 30 odd goals his mistakes are orders of magnitude more important for us than they will be for you.

Don't forget in 126 games for Sporting, Wolves and Portugal he has only scored 9 goals, so he is not going to get many (unless Pep transforms him, which he might)

Good luck to him, putting aside football rivalries you don't get many opportunities in life to play for the European champions or probably the best manager in the world.

We will take the deal and re-invest it into some unknowns in the hope we find another gem.

Our Chinese owners are minted (Billionaires) but not in your league, but they have the added issue of international geopolitics to navigate. The chairman of Fosun disappeared for a few week a couple years ago as the CCP wanted to have a friendly word on corruption charges - he talked his way out of that, but if the CCP tell Fosun to repatriate some of their overseas cash back to China - they do it or they will be re-pointing the Great Wall with a tooth brush!

Been taking a look at the Wolves fan site, these are a typical selection of fans comments on Nunes up to the new year.

19/10/22, #2,063: p52:
"I have no idea where his best position is, I think I’ve only seen him play one game before he signed for Wolves and that was against City in the CL. However, his performances have just been never near the level that people believe he’s capable of. He’s bottling challenges, he’s misplacing 10 yard passes. It’s not good enough, he needs to sort himself out."
19/10/22, #2,067: p52
"Obviously talented. No doubt about his ability. I'm just worried about his spirit and fight.doesnt seem that interested to me and is waiting for things to happen when he has the quality to make it happen"
19/10/22, #2,076: p52
"He's shown enough in his first few appearances that there's clearly a player in there - but also his last few games he's been poor, whether he's being played slightly out of position or not (it's not like he's been stuck out on the wing).
On Saturday he had 2 chances to play what looked fairly straight forward through balls and fluffed his lines and also a blind ball that hit a Forest defender when he had lots of time and space.
Last night I though he was very casual in possession, one instance leading to their effort in the first half that hit the post and isn't showing signs that he wants to do the dirty stuff like recovering the ball (especially when it's him that's lost the ball)."
19/10/22, #2,078: p52
"I am sure he has quality but he disappears for long spells of games and doesn't influence them at all. Still to score or get many assists, same with Guedes and we spent a huge amount of money on both. Both young Bueno and Hodge looked more influential last night and that sort of says it all."
19/10/22, #2,084: p53
"He looks very weak, always comes out worse in a 50/50. Luckily this can be worked on. But for the price we paid i expected more of a complete player."
23/10/22, #2,135: p54
"Lost today. His confidence has gone it seems"
23/10/22, #2,144: p54
I have said for weeks I don't see a player in him . Just to lightweight and doesn't have any energy . The odd run that's it .
23/10/22, #2,161: p55
"He can’t even pass the ball. Can’t tackle. He literally does nothing. I don’t care where he’s playing, he could be playing in goal and I’d still expect him to be able to pass the ball. He is ****."
29/10/22, #2,201: p56
"This guy is just here until he gets the move he wants, he knows it and wants his stay to be as short as possible, and it shows. A player can have all the talent in the world, but if they can't be bothered to put effort in, or at the very least show a slight bit of interest, then they are a detriment to the team."
30/10/22, #2,248: p57
"I honestly wouldn't care if we sold him in January"
30/10/22, #2,257: p57
"Being played out of position doesn't mean you lose heart, that you don't appear to be trying and that you cannot adapt. Being played out of position doesn't give the player license to sulk, to stroll around not looking like they care and would like to be anywhere else but at the club that broke it's transfer record, brought them to the best league in the world and no doubt is paying them a king's ransom to be doing what a lot would do for nothing. Being played out of position is an opportunity to show that the player can adapt, can dig deep for a team in a relegation scrap and is committed.
Unfortunately, neither Nunes or Guedes is showing any of the fight required to get Wolves out of the mire; 'wrong position' or not!"
30/10/22, #2,270: p57
"I am hugely disappointed in Nunes.He hasn´t performed anything like up to par..and the signing looks a disastrous one at this point in time."
30/10/22, #2,328: p59
"I guess it depends on how you rate a 'good' player. Nunes is undoubtedly skillful, however his attitude, versatility and work-rate is questionable. These are traits which I would want in a good player, therefore at present, Nunes is not a good player in my eyes."
30/12/22, #2,410: p62
"Hopefully he does play better as so far looks lightweight and not suited to the Prem imo. Just being honest . Compare his games to B Traore and you tell me the £42million player. Hope he comes good as benefits us but so far looks like the next Silva which ends up in a loan next season as not ready ."
Nunes typical comments improved on the Wolves fans site after the World Cup, but still a lot of inconsistency:
7/1/23, #2,463: p62
"Best game tonight by a bloody mile. Looks like what he was brought in for!"
7/1/23, #2,467: p62
"Glides past players like Grealish only without the dive at the other side."
8/1/23, #2,510: p63
"He was seriously good tonight. Needs to have more support around him so he can lay off the ball having glided past the opposition, and his long range passes are not quite up to Neves, but this will come as the team continues to get around him."
14/1/23, #2,528: p64
"Thought he was poor today and didn’t have that burst and energy he’d had. Maybe a hangover from previous games.
Quality still
But not his best today for me"
14/1/23, #2,535: p64
"I agree, I'm not doubting him, I think he will be brilliant. However he got caught quite a few times today shielding the ball and then losing it."
15/1/23, #2,541: p64
"He’s less effective when a team parks the bus like West Ham did. Not saying he was poor but he didn’t have the space to take the ball into. He was involved in our counters and when the game got more stretched he had more space he came to the fore."
22/1/23, #2,566: p65
"Thought he was dreadful today and lacked heart."
22/1/23, #2,568: p65
"He was sloppy today I agree, but games like this will be the making of him I feel. Learning to play when you are under pressure with the ball in a millisecond is essential in this league"
22/1/23, #2,571: p65
"He has improved under JL but still doesn't look anywhere near a £40m midfielder. He is very ponderous on the ball"
22/1/23, #2,588: p65
"Nunes is good at carrying the ball, everything else is questionable based on his performances in a Wolves shirt."
22/1/23, #2,611: p66
"...I am pretty sure on solid info that Liverpool have an option on him. If they take it up and we get our £50m back, is that a bad thing?"
22/1/23, #2,621: p66
"My personal opinion is that he was awful before Lopetegui and has been decent since Lopetegui came in. I hope he can keep improving..."
22/1/23, #2,630: p66
"Have tried to see the best in him and the occassional glimpses have encouraged me to support him in the past, but think he flatters to deceive and contributes far less than I hoped"
23/1/23, #2,635: p66
"The majority of our squad are quality players but Nunes like the rest of them hasn't produced that quality on a consistent basis.
Maybe some of us thought a £40m outlay would get you a game changer....... not on the evidence so far."
8/4/23, #2,649: p67
"He’s shown glimpses in other games but today was the first time it came together for a full 90 minutes. As good an all-round performance as anyone has put in this season. Quick, determined in the tackle, carries the ball superbly and genuinely two-footed. The goal was alright as well."
8/4/23, #2,655: p67
"How typical that he looks like he's found some good form then immediately gets a bad injury."
20/5/23, #2,670: p67
"Nunes looked more determined today when he came on, a few driving runs forward. Maybe hes got something to prove? I've been very critical of him, but hopefully he can be a key player for us next season."

Wolves fans
That ties in exactly what was said by a large number of their fans, I quoted earlier in the thread, (copied above). Hopefully he will be better and more consistent here with better players around him and the best manager in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.