Matthijs de Ligt

We can't pay him 250k+ when Laporte is on 60k. Ruining the whole wage structure to get a CB just isn't worth it, he no Mbappe.

Meanwhile #mufc have launched a £70m bid for Matthijs de Ligt and have agreed to pay him £350,000 a week plus agent fees [mirror]
If true, they haven't learned from Sanchez disaster at all.

If he goes there you’d have to seriously question his intellect and ambition.

For his exceptional talent and potential, that's what club's talent scouts are for.
If we don't recognise his talents plenty of other clubs will.
That's why so many clubs are after him.
Bernardo was an exceptional talent, we made him a sensible offer and told him exactly how he would fit into our plans. He signed, he proved he was worth more than our original offer and we rewarded him with an extension and pay rise within 18 month. Sterling, De Bruyne, Laporte and Ederson all did the same and were rightfully rewarded.

If De Ligt is as good as everyone says, if he’s got the confidence in his own ability to become our first choice centre back and potential leader he knows he will get rewarded in the same way. If he’s not got the balls for the fight or to prove his worth, then he’s not worth what you’re suggesting we pay him from the get go.

I don't know what wages the players are on, I would hope it should be strictly confidential.

I understand we have a wage structure but exceptional talent should be rewarded. I would imagine we will be saving a high wage bill with Kompany leaving, and maybe Ota?
Defenders are almost never exceptional talent.

Mbappe just came out and said he wants more responsibility (= more money and he's contributing more than Neymar).
I already answered that.

First of all Mbappé is not contributing more than Neymar. Neymar was injured at the wrong time again but there is no doubt who is the best and main player when both are fit.
On the pitch, they are almost always playing for one another. It is sometimes absurd because there is someone not covered by any opponent and they'll prefer to keep passing to each other.
http://www.sportbible.com/football/...mar-and-mbappe-barely-pass-to-cavani-20181009

Mbappé added he discovered a new role : number 9 position. He is asking for this role in the future because he wants to keep his stats high for Ballon d'Or. Which means again that Cavani is in danger. He wants to shoot more penalty. He is in the third rank after Neymar and Cavani. Since Neymar has been flawless (10/10) in that exercise, he can still dream about taking them from the brazilian.

He wants more money, a more competitive team because he has as much ego as his idol CR7. And as CR7 did, he would like to go to Real at some point too.

So realistically, there is no problem between the two players, just Mbappé asking to be seen as a major player in PSG, almost on parity with Neymar, and with all that entails.

Last edited:
If you’re a 19 year old lad with as much talent as De Ligt has you want one of two things.
1. To be the best player you can possibly be and to win trophies - if so we’re one of very few clubs who can virtually guarantee to provide those things.
2. Money and fame - if so you choose the rag scum.

As a fan, I want to see players who want to improve, want to be the best player they can be and want to win trophies.
The notion that those 2 things are mutually exclusive is silly. Many made the same arguments about Van Dyke last year.

Frankly, challenging an already established Superteam is actually a greater challenge and greater accomplishment if achieved.

If I were a young talented player, I'd rather join the challenging team to try to topple the Superteam, than join the Superteam. I know most kids don't think like this, but they should.

Reactions: cjn
Solskjær basically shares the philosophy of Pep and Klopp.
I think the next season of Manchester United is expected to be very different.
In that respect, De Ligt's destination could be MU.
If we want him, we have to consider this possibility.

The notion that those 2 things are mutually exclusive is silly. Many made the same arguments about Van Dyke last year.

Frankly, challenging an already established Superteam is actually a greater challenge and greater accomplishment if achieved.

If I were a young talented player, I'd rather join the challenging team to try to topple the Superteam, than join the Superteam. I know most kids don't think like this, but they should.
And if Van Dijk had joined us he would be sat at home with 3/5 winners medals around his neck, he made the wrong decision. Instead he got a “Player of the Year” award, just because he choose the media favourites and (so called) fame of Liverpool.

Fighting your way into and keeping your place in a “superteam” is a far greater challenge and accomplishment.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.