Matthijs de Ligt

Was keen on him , much more than maguire but constant circle has put me off

It’s not just dealing with Pizzaboy to get the player through the door unfortunately... it’s as United have found with Pogba it’s the ongoing bleeding about new contracts demanding a move etc .. no matter how good the player, the unsettling impact on the squad and the club just isn’t worth it.

It must be a bit of a head fuck for De Ligt having the whole footballing world aware of you at 19 and wanting to sign you. When I was the same age I started working for one of the biggest names in the industry because I didn’t have a clue what I was doing, was immature and they offered me the best part of £20k (a year) which was far more than my mates.

Looking back it was a stupid decision and I should have gone to a smaller company who paid less but where I’d get the chance to gain more experience and learn more like my parents told me. I wanted money, booze, cars and girls and didn’t give a shit about work. This lad at 19 has got the worlds media watching, clubs begging for him, agents wanting their cut and probably different players and managers in his ear constantly. I’m fucked if I would have known at that age.

I have to say that as a Juve fan I'm not as excited at the prospect of signing him as I would have been before this transfer window started.
These transfer theatrics have put me a bit off and I don't think there's one single football fan in the world that likes dealing with Raiola.
De Ligt's wages are also very high for someone so young and that imo creates not only an financial problem but also a personality one for him as a defender. Coming with such a price tag attached at 19 and having refused Barcelona, you're expected to perform as the best defender in the league. And a 19 year-old won't always be able to do that, because he lacks experience. Remember that as a defender, experience is key and your most important asset is your concentration. Strikers are allowed to have attention lapses during the match, defenders are not. Young centre backs always have to learn, because you can't base your defensive performance entirely on talent as an attacking player could do. The only ones that can act like divas are usually older defenders that have more experience and wins under their belt.
I have nothing against young centre backs, we're signing one from Sassuolo that I think could become a good player if he'll be allowed to play (unlikely). We have a tradition of signing young/not very experienced defenders and making them great, but they usually come with a fair price.
What I worry about with de Ligt is that (also because of this transfer window) he'll inevitably think he's the finished article and that he has very little to learn, and he'll end up not being worth his price.
I hope to be proven wrong if we do sign him, of course.

Last edited:
If he does come in whats your back 4 looking like then? I doubt Bonucci or Chiellini will be in long term plans, think Rugani and De Ligt could be a good partnership. Or maybe you sign someone else too.

I have to say that as a Juve fan I'm not as excited at the prospect of signing him as I would have been before this transfer window started.
These transfer theatrics have put me a bit off and I don't think there's one single football fan in the world that likes dealing with Raiola.
De Ligt's wages are also very high for someone so young and that imo creates not only an financial problem but also a personality one for him as a defender. Coming with such a price tag attached at 19 and having refused Barcelona, you're expected to perform as the best defender in the league. And a 19 year-old won't always be able to do that, because he lacks experience. Remember that as a defender, experience is key and your most important asset is your concentration. Strikers are allowed to have attention lapses during the match, defenders are not. Young centre backs always have to learn, because you can't base your defensive performance entirely on talent as an attacking player could do. The only ones that can act like divas are usually older defenders that have more experience and wins under their belt.
I have nothing against young centre backs, we just signed one from Sassuolo that I think could become a good player if he'll be allowed to play (unlikely). We have a tradition of signing young/not very experienced defenders and making them great, but they usually come with a fair price.
What I worry about with de Ligt is that (also because of this transfer window) he'll inevitably think he's the finished article and that he's very little to learn, and he'll end up not being worth his price.
I hope to be proven wrong if we do sign him, of course.
Good Post.

If he does come in whats your back 4 looking like then? I doubt Bonucci or Chiellini will be in long term plans, think Rugani and De Ligt could be a good partnership. Or maybe you sign someone else too.

I honestly have no idea haha.

Chiello is starting until further notice but he's had problems with his calf in recent years and, as much as I love him, he's also old.

Bonucci is only any good when he has capable defenders covering his back. And he's getting old as well. I was surprised by the amount of attention he got during Euro 2016 by the foreign public, who made the mistake of considering him a perfect standalone player instead of a well-functioning cog in our defensive machine.

Rugani has never been very reliable when he was started, even if he's had some good games. He was one of Sarri's pupils at Empoli though, and he improved under him there, so the coach might try and finally make him reach top club level.

We're also signing Demiral from Sassuolo as I said; he's a young defender who has a Chiello-like style of play and I have a good feeling about him, but he'll probably just make the bench. Oh and I hope his signing means we get rid of Caceres on the bench.
EDIT: I've just read that Demiral's signing might be called off if we sign de Ligt, lol.

There were also talks of Benatia coming back, but I think he's just the backup plan in case we don't sign de Ligt.

It's a tricky transitional situation in terms of age groups and on top of that we're also under a completely new manager, so I have no idea who we'll start. My bet is 1 youngster + 1 oldie on the pitch.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.