Matthijs de Ligt

Shame but not worth upsetting the applecart for a 19 year old. He looks great and probably will the one of the best CBs for the next 10 years, but we've seen with United what bowing to agents/wage demands can do. There's players out there who will improve us massively without paying them 250k a week.

And without sounding cocky, we've got a pretty good defensive record over the past 2 years without a dedicated LB and not having a consistent CB pairing. We'll only get better. The system and the team (tracking back, keeping the ball, 5 second rule) is more important than the player.

Shame but not worth upsetting the applecart for a 19 year old. He looks great and probably will the one of the best CBs for the next 10 years, but we've seen with United what bowing to agents/wage demands can do. There's players out there who will improve us massively without paying them 250k a week.

And without sounding cocky, we've got a pretty good defensive record over the past 2 years without a dedicated LB and not having a consistent CB pairing. We'll only get better. The system and the team (tracking back, keeping the ball, 5 second rule) is more important than the player.

I'm probably going OT here, but this is something that I noticed your smoked neighbours don't seem to understand. I read their de Ligt thread these last few days and, apart from a growing case of sour grapes, there was the idea that throwing big money around for glittering players would solve all their problems. There were some reasonable posters too but the majority didn't quite grasp that football is a team sport. The better team wins, it's not a 1v1 repeated 11 times. Their problems lie in management, which also chooses coaching, which affects the whole team. Players may make mistakes and fail expectations but they are influenced by the way they're handled and coached. Those fans should be grateful none of them is actually running the club, because ignoring the situation they're in will do nothing to bring them back to the top.

As for de Ligt, I'd have liked to spend less for him but such is the market nowadays. Being on Raiola's good/indifferent side isn't the end of the world.

Hope this is put to bed soon... good player, tonnes of ability and potential but, the circus around him is utterly ridiculous. One of the most drawn out, tedious transfers of the summer. Pretty much all orchestrated by a greedy agent. Football needs to get a grip on how players are represented... it’s becoming very distasteful at a time when there’s huge fees and payments on offer - for some a kings ransom is still never enough. The problem is you keep fucking the chicken and sooner or later it stops laying golden eggs.

Think you can close the thread.
Bad cheap pun by the way ugh, and I most certainly don't want to turn de Ligt on.

Another long drawn out transfer comes to an end. Not many more now and we’ll have safely survived another summer transfer season. :-) Phew.

Opted for the easy life then in the end,will he improve over next few years with barely nothing to do every week ?,may as well have gone to Celtic,no ambition at all for me him going there.

Would have preferred to see him at another team in the oh so competitive PL?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.