Maximum Wage Law - Corbyn

Outlandish is being kind. This idea of maximum pay is idiotic. He should be focusing on making things affordable rather than going after those who are talented and have worked hard to earn fantastic money.
I'd say out of touch rather than idiotic. At least he actually has a political ideal he sticks to though, rather than most of the cunts that are about in that game.

Wants to limit exc pay to no more than 20x minimum wage for government contacts.
This limits to nearly zero the number of companies that can carry out infrastructure projects, facilities, design etc. The UK will collapse - and no, nationalisation of them will not be the answer.

Surely not? Relates to pay only so any company that wants to carry out such projects just has to restrain pay - thus releasing funds for those projects - or increase the reward to their lower paid staff ? The country appears no happier and no more equal than the times were that CEO's were paid more than 20x the lowest paid workers furthermore recent reports show that if based on the performance in terms of share price increases or dividend payments to share holders there is little if anything to support the rate of increase in FTSE 100 CEO pay against the latter. Even on occasion when at AGM's shareholders question the reward for a CEO the process is weighted in their favour and they get their way.

I am baffled by why people support the idea that millionaire CEO's deserve millionaire wage increases when their performance and their company performance doesn't reflect that reward is warranted.

I am baffled by why people support the idea that millionaire CEO's deserve millionaire wage increases when their performance and their company performance doesn't reflect that reward is warranted.
Do you think that we should bring in regulation to deal with this instead of letting the shareholders control their own companies?

Do you think that we should bring in regulation to deal with this instead of letting the shareholders control their own companies?

well thus far the system which supposedly allows shareholders to control boardroom pay and reward has failed abysmally ( google Hellawell and Sports Direct as a recent classic example ) so why not try something different? Do you think the current system where shareholders control the pay and reward of executives ( as was the point I made - not control their own companies - different question ) is working well?

well thus far the system which supposedly allows shareholders to control boardroom pay and reward has failed abysmally ( google Hellawell and Sports Direct as a recent classic example ) so why not try something different? Do you think the current system where shareholders control the pay and reward of executives ( as was the point I made - not control their own companies - different question ) is working well?
Since the law allows shareholders to control it, they have the right to control it and they're the damaged parties if this system isn't used properly I really don't see any need for regulation to be honest. Since I've moved back into audit and compliance there just before Christmas I should probably be saying yes though, it would increase my monthly paycheck by 20% or so I reckon.

Since the law allows shareholders to control it, they have the right to control it and they're the damaged parties if this system isn't used properly I really don't see any need for regulation to be honest. Since I've moved back into audit and compliance there just before Christmas I should probably be saying yes though, it would increase my monthly paycheck by 20% or so I reckon.

Sorry but I have to disagree - remuneration committee's filled with people who recommend reward for people who sit on their own committee's and bloc voting of large shareholders which outweighs the views of smaller shareholders is neither fair or democratic - laughably the same victims sling the same accusations against unions - its a closed shop that without proper representation in the vote with realistic weighting brings about the "fat cat " culture.

Sorry but I have to disagree - remuneration committee's filled with people who recommend reward for people who sit on their own committee's and bloc voting of large shareholders which outweighs the views of smaller shareholders is neither fair or democratic - laughably the same victims sling the same accusations against unions - its a closed shop that without proper representation in the vote with realistic weighting brings about the "fat cat " culture.
Of course. Because the shareholders who own 70% of the company should be forced to listen to the 30%. By legislation if necessary.

The shareholders are a disparate group, with no single voice, it's like herding cats. in truth the pressure to reign in executive pay mostly comes from hedge fund managers (as you know). Shareholder power is often talked about but is rarely decisive. Boards do everything they can to avoid executive pay even being discussed at AGMs, even getting it on the agenda is a near impossibility task.

Shareholder revolts are rare not because shareholders are content but because of the obstacles they face in pulling them off
It's comes from mutual fund managers (mainly pension schemes, of which a tiny minority are hedge funds fwiw).

A head fund is just an investment fund that looks to grow in all market conditions and thus has a wider remit in terms of the assets it can hold.

Last edited:
Lol at the way some people seem to think shareholders are like some sort of regulatory body. Its just numbers on a screen.
Also, this proposal would pretty much only affect people earning over £300k, but the world seems to be full of people on probably a tenth of that who are horrified by the proposal. Media brainwashing at its best.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.