MCFC Analytics

Damocles said:
Is anybody else getting the dataset?

We could actually pool our resources as a community and come up with something interesting if we tried. Anybody interested?

The Lite data comes in CSV format and I'll be writing a parser, perhaps as as a webpage, to view the data a bit cleaner and with more relevance.

The Advanced dataset is the thing that I'm really interested in and comes in XML format. The site says this:

"This data is a time coded feed that lists all player action events within the game with a player, team, event type, minute and second for each action, together with the x/y/z co-ordinates for each event"

We could do some really interesting things with that sort of granularity, in particularly the x/y/z co-ordinates of each event as an expression of the usage of space. You need to submit a project brief to Gavin Fleig and OptaPro though beforehand and get it all checked off so that's probably a bit more distant than the Lite dataset.

Either way, this is one of those times when having a really big community can help us as we can get enough interested people together to make something that a single individual couldn't.

Anybody thinking about it?

This might as well be in Greek. Good luck with whatever you decided to do... Smart bastard.

I did some performance analysis work last season for an SPL team so I'm really looking forward to creating some relevant projects out of the dataset.

I'm considering looking at the modern day use of full backs and how they are used in an attacking sense; something that Mancini and his staff implemented really well into our team last season.

I should find some time this coming week to sit down properly with it all and find some pertinent data.

If anyone is interested I'll post some of my investigations on this thread when I do some analysis.

Akai said:
I got the "Lite" one today, will check it later.

planning to compare few midfielders from the top teams, might share it here.

Can you email it to me please mate?

I won't get mine for at least a few days and I want to have a crack at it tomorrow morn whilst the missus is still asleep?

"Tomorrow morning" turned into "right now".

I've loaded the Excel file into a MySQL database then created views on player totals and team totals. Some things are unsurprising, others are downright shocking. I can dump the SQL file so people can drag it into phpMyAdmin or similar if anybody wants it. Everything is in a VARCHAR(30) column at present but it's not particularly a problem.

In unsurprising news, we had 10% more touches in the oppositions area than Man United and recieved about half of the penalties they did. More surprisingly, one of United's most efficient ways of creating chances is through throw-ins, even more than Stoke.

Damocles said:

I've loaded the Excel file into a MySQL database then created views on player totals and team totals. Some things are unsurprising, others are downright shocking. I can dump the SQL file so people can drag it into phpMyAdmin or similar if anybody wants it. Everything is in a VARCHAR(30) column at present but it's not particularly a problem.

I've bolded the bits I don't understand.

I'm quite excited about the release of this data but only because I know someone cleverer than me will analyse it and then hopefully dumb it down so I can understand it.<br /><br />-- Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:34 am --<br /><br />
stony said:
Damocles said:

I've bolded the bits I don't understand.

I'm quite excited about the release of this data but only because I know someone cleverer than me will analyse it and then hopefully dumb it down so I can understand it.

Damocles said:
In unsurprising news, we had 10% more touches in the oppositions area than Man United and recieved about half of the penalties they did. More surprisingly, one of United's most efficient ways of creating chances is through throw-ins, even more than Stoke.

Perfect example, cheers Damo.

Damocles said:
Akai said:
I got the "Lite" one today, will check it later.

planning to compare few midfielders from the top teams, might share it here.

Can you email it to me please mate?

I won't get mine for at least a few days and I want to have a crack at it tomorrow morn whilst the missus is still asleep?

I think she'll be asleep for a while.

I'm in. Can you share the SQL file?

The advanced data sounds...intense. Essentially everything that's in Lite but on a second by second basis.

not had chance to look at the data as yet but the xyz info would be the really interesting part - what i would be looking to do would be something along the lines of:

Impact of international/midweek matches on weekend performance - how do you mitigate?
What is the best time to substitute a player - how do you identify a performance degradation? - what is the impact on other players?
How do you identify the key opposition risks (or the root cause of an event/chance) and null these?
What is the plan a/b/c/d/e etc (this would ideally be based on the opposition and how to exploit any given situation - you would have decision nodes based on events - sending off/goals/injuries etc)
What are the players strengths and weaknesses and how best to utilise (and against which opposition)
What is the likely set-up for the opposition based on their player availibility and performance?

all very very interesting if a little geeky! - i'll probably just use humble excel for a brief look at the data and then SAS for anything more meaty (regression/scorecards and the like) - if i get any time from work that is!

Here's some data visualisation done by a Tweeter:

<a class="postlink" href="https://efex.bimeapp.com/players/dashboard/113A000D95C24E0185188E1B6E8E173B" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://efex.bimeapp.com/players/dashbo ... 1B6E8E173B</a>

Notice how absolutely terrible we are at long balls and how high Rodwell is in the tiki-taka ranking.

Checking through my own data collation, I thought I'd give Nasri's passing stats a look over for our good mate Didsbury Dave:

Total Successful Passes: 1539
Total Unsuccessful Passes: 266
Total Succ. Passes excl Crosses and Corners: 1498
Total Unsucc. Passes excl Crosses and Corners: 148

Succ Passes in defensive third: 87
Succ Passes in middle third: 762
Succ Passes in offensive third: 649

Succ Short Passes: 1454
Succ Crosses/Corners: 41

Corners Taken: 93
Of Which Are Short Corners: 25
Succ Corners into box: 21

Succ Long Balls: 0 (all season!)
Unsucc Long Balls: 9

Pass Forward:463
Pass Backwards: 207
Pass Left: 538
Pass Right: 497
(1035 side passes)

Key Passes: 69
Assists: 9

Total touches: 2152 - 5th behind Yaya, Barry, Silva and Clichy

Yep, very interesting re Rodwell - Platt (I think) commented about how Rodders had the best ball retention/pass completion stats at Everton so it is clear that they think he will fit in better at City than he did at hoofball Everton.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.