MCFC film night @ Cornerhouse - NEW DATE TICKETS AVAILABLE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary James

*** THE FILM SHOW RETURNS : "The Boys in Blue" film show will have one final showing this year (2016). This time it will be shown at the Dancehouse not the Cornerhouse. Details here: http://www.ticketline.co.uk/the-boys-in-blue-manchester-city-fc-on-film#bio The comments throughout this thread should give a feel for whether it's worth it or not. Obviously, if you attended a previous showing then please spread the word as it's difficult to get across exactly what this rare footage is and what it means. I think people may assume it's stuff that's readily available elsewhere and it's not. If anyone needs more info about what's included then please let me know. Happy to explain. Cheers
I'll be hosting 90 minutes of MCFC footage. This material has come from the collection of the North West Film Archive and contains many rare and unseen items.

Headline details are:

The Boys in Blue: Manchester City FC on Film

Gary James, author and Manchester football historian, curates an evening of films about the history of Manchester City FC selected from footage preserved at the North West Film Archive, Manchester Metropolitan University. From the legendary Billy Meredith through to Maine Road’s final match, amazing archive material will be brought to life by Gary’s unrivalled knowledge of City’s history. Rare interviews with chairmen, managers and players combine with the sounds of the Kippax for what promises to be a great show.

The evening will include an interview with Joe Mercer on the day he resigned as boss (not shown since that day!); the sight and sounds from the Kippax Stand on its last day in 1994; Maine Road in the 1920s; colour film of the ground in the 1930s; interviews with Book, Allison, Bond and Swales; fans at the 76 homecoming; fans queueing for tickets in 1981; film of the recording of "The Boys In Blue" and much more.

The footage shown comes from a great archive and is not footage widely available on DVD, the internet or even at MCFC on match day. Rather than focus on cup final goals and memorable highlights, we're showing material that is not known or hasn't been seen for years.

Anyway, more will follow but I hope this gives you all a taste of what's to come and I hope there's great interest when tickets are released.

Last edited:
Re: Fri 26th April MCFC film night @ Cornerhouse

acton28 said:
sadly,cannot make, I hope there is another opportunity

Planned as a one-off I'm afraid. If it is a sellout then we may plan on something late in the year or next year, but otherwise it's a one-off. Sorry!

Not this looks really interesting. I'm a nostalgia buff and I can immediately recognise unseen and interesting footage. The 76 homecoming is one, and the MErcer interview another.

I will certainly be there for this. Looking forward to it.

Is there a DVD release in the offing or are there too many copywrite issues? I would imagine the latter. I'd imagine a growing market for a DVD version of your latest book, Gary. A visual history of the club. I remember one being made about 10-15 years ago and released by the club, might have been a freebie, I can't quite remember. I even think you were on it as a talking head. Am I imagining this or did it happen?

Didsbury Dave said:
Not this looks really interesting. I'm a nostalgia buff and I can immediately recognise unseen and interesting footage. The 76 homecoming is one, and the MErcer interview another.

I will certainly be there for this. Looking forward to it.

Is there a DVD release in the offing or are there too many copywrite issues? I would imagine the latter. I'd imagine a growing market for a DVD version of your latest book, Gary. A visual history of the club. I remember one being made about 10-15 years ago and released by the club, might have been a freebie, I can't quite remember. I even think you were on it as a talking head. Am I imagining this or did it happen?

There won't be a DVD unfortunately. The footage is all available via the NWFA but there are some restrictions on them, so a DVD can't happen unfortunately.

As for the DVD book idea... I've always wanted to do a combined History book/DVD but never managed to find a company with the right resources to do it. The one you are thinking of was by David Clayton I believe. I shouldn't be on that because I've never been interviewed for it.

I was script editor for the history DVD produced in 2001/2 and was a talking head on that - we decided to use me whenever we had a gap that couldn't be filled by a film clip or by another talking head (former player, manager etc.).

I enjoyed script editing that and it led to me writing and producing the 6 part "History of Football" for Channel M - I wish that had been made into a DVD.

The film show at Cornerhouse has taken a lot to put together and we're currently reviewing and editing content. It won't include much match action but some of the stuff that surrounds the club. Got some very interesting material on managerial merry go round in the late 70s (Allison/Book/Bond - none of it from that Granada CITY documentary). Also, colour film of Maine Rd in 1930s; colour film of Bert Trautmann taking a goal kick at Maine Rd; and much more.

Hi Gary.
This sounds really good i will try to attend-Ticket providing,Have u got any of the Nationwide Documentary from 1977 on this?

I'll be in attendance for that one. Might even treat my old man to a ticket too as he would love to see some of this stuff too I imagine. Sounds great - good luck with it.

pete1970 said:
Hi Gary.
This sounds really good i will try to attend-Ticket providing,Have u got any of the Nationwide Documentary from 1977 on this?

Sadly, no. We've not been able to track it down via the BBC (and there would probably be rights issues then as well). The material we've got comes from a variety of sources and dates from the 1920s through to end of Maine Road. Lots of 1970s interviews as well as unusual items.

Hi Gary,
Ok mate not to worry-think i still have the Brochure from Nationwide re the prog-Seem to remember the last episode showed our Heroic Bunch in Poland v Widzew Lodz and went out on the away goals rule after blowing @ 2-0 lead @ MR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.