MCFC Ultras group

The problem at City is that the cohort has changed.

There are more tourists in, there are more bourgeois types, there are more ladies dressed up to the nines.

These groups are less passionate about City than your "typical city fan" and are therefore less inclined to sing.

I sit in east level 2 and while I certainly don't wanna sing myself hoarse every home game for 90 minutes I would love it if my section sang more than the occasional "come on City" or "blue moon".

What we need is groups of ten or so dedicated singers in every block who will kickstart the part time singers such as myself into life.

I realise that this is virtually a logistical non starter but the passion and commitment that some lads on here clearly feel about this issue allied to somebody of influence within the club pulling some strings could see this problem solved.

Good luck to those actively pursuing a solution

Santiago Street said:
The problem at City is that the cohort has changed.

There are more tourists in, there are more bourgeois types, there are more ladies dressed up to the nines.

These groups are less passionate about City than your "typical city fan" and are therefore less inclined to sing.

I sit in east level 2 and while I certainly don't wanna sing myself hoarse every home game for 90 minutes I would love it if my section sang more than the occasional "come on City" or "blue moon".

What we need is groups of ten or so dedicated singers in every block who will kickstart the part time singers such as myself into life.
I realise that this is virtually a logistical non starter but the passion and commitment that some lads on here clearly feel about this issue allied to somebody of influence within the club pulling some strings could see this problem solved.

Good luck to those actively pursuing a solution

i concur. I have become more pro-actively vocal in a mostly non vocal area of late being hacked off with silence and a few people will always join in if they don't have to start it themselves. Sometimes it swells through the whole stand from there.

A singing section per block is the answer to getting more singing going all round the ground imo as well.

Big games ok there is no need, but for more games than not I agree that this would help the overall atmosphere

Sorry, been away for the weekend and only just had the chance to catch up with this...

Top post from TMQ.

WNRH - like the idea. With all the "Operation One End" stuff being said in the past, I always said "we've already got three ends to ourselves!"

Main issues against it:

Some singers won't want to go to the other end, purely for the fact that the Grey Mare Lane establishments and Townley are at the South end of the ground, therefore going North would mean one less pint for some.

City. Have you been in the NL1 recently? I started in 111 on Wednesday but moved round to 132 for the second half as it stank of brie (no joke) and I couldn't be dealing with everyone staring to their left. When I walked through the North Stand it is like nowhere else in the stadium - completely designed for kids and parents. Not for the "don't give a fuck, cos we're all pissed up" crowd.

Standing. We've seen how the non-South and Singing Section areas have been pressured into sitting at games by the stewards, I'm not sure if they would be leniant on us.

liamctid said:
Sorry, been away for the weekend and only just had the chance to catch up with this...

Top post from TMQ.

WNRH - like the idea. With all the "Operation One End" stuff being said in the past, I always said "we've already got three ends to ourselves!"

Main issues against it:

Some singers won't want to go to the other end, purely for the fact that the Grey Mare Lane establishments and Townley are at the South end of the ground, therefore going North would mean one less pint for some.

City. Have you been in the NL1 recently? I started in 111 on Wednesday but moved round to 132 for the second half as it stank of brie (no joke) and I couldn't be dealing with everyone staring to their left. When I walked through the North Stand it is like nowhere else in the stadium - completely designed for kids and parents. Not for the "don't give a fuck, cos we're all pissed up" crowd.

Standing. We've seen how the non-South and Singing Section areas have been pressured into sitting at games by the stewards, I'm not sure if they would be leniant on us.

All 3 points are valid, the first one even though i understand it, it kind of sums up our fans at this moment in time, they aren't prepared to sacrifice a bit of anything, in this case one pint before a game for the greater good of travelling 500 yards extra to another block.

The second one, i have a season ticket in there, as well as the third tier and it is designed for kids, the blocks i mentioned though i could be wrong but they aren't considered part of the family stand so i don't know if the area in the concourse outside that block are of that design. I did think that by maybe having it next to the families might cause problems but then if this was to happen do the people in there need to be rowdy under the influence of alcohol to make a good atmosphere? The impression i got from watching the green brigade ect is that they aren't a rowdy alcohol consuming bunch of people but then again i could be wrong?

The 3rd one was another point in the back on my mind, i would only hope that seeing as it would not affect anyone else's views the club who give the impression they want to help produce a regular atmosphere would turn a blind eye to it similar to how they turn a blind eye to the south stand and blocks 110/111.

The atmosphere is what gripped me to be a city fan, my attention span as a young kid was very very short. When i went on the kippax with my uncle resting on a bar in the last 80's, i loved the sounds of the crowd and that is what gripped me, i don't see that in kids any more which is a shame.

WNRH said:
liamctid said:

Top post from TMQ.

Main issues against it:

All 3 points are valid, the first one even though i understand it, it kind of sums up our fans at this moment in time, they aren't prepared to sacrifice a bit of anything, in this case one pint before a game for the greater good of travelling 500 yards extra to another block.

The second one, i have a season ticket in there, as well as the third tier and it is designed for kids, the blocks i mentioned though i could be wrong but they aren't considered part of the family stand so i don't know if the area in the concourse outside that block are of that design. I did think that by maybe having it next to the families might cause problems but then if this was to happen do the people in there need to be rowdy under the influence of alcohol to make a good atmosphere? The impression i got from watching the green brigade ect is that they aren't a rowdy alcohol consuming bunch of people but then again i could be wrong?

The 3rd one was another point in the back on my mind, i would only hope that seeing as it would not affect anyone else's views the club who give the impression they want to help produce a regular atmosphere would turn a blind eye to it similar to how they turn a blind eye to the south stand and blocks 110/111.

The atmosphere is what gripped me to be a city fan, my attention span as a young kid was very very short. When i went on the kippax with my uncle resting on a bar in the last 80's, i loved the sounds of the crowd and that is what gripped me, i don't see that in kids any more which is a shame.

I'm only 15 and although I stand in a 'singing section' in 109, I envy my Dad and what he grew up with on the Kippax as there seems to be no enthusiasm about creating atmosphere anymore.

I stood on the Kippax as a teenager in the 70s and that place rocked i can tell you. Why is it different now ? I'm not all together sure, but maybe it's a few things rolled together that kills it off a bit, all seater stadiums, people with their mobile phones glued on the ends of noses etc etc. I think the biggest problem is very very late arrival into the stadium leaves little or no time to raise a decent pre kick off atmosphere. I was always in Maine Road for about 2.15 pm and it was always rocking at 2.40 building up to kick off, especially for the big games.
I really dont understand why in this day and age you can't have a beer in your seat, you could have beer mules with trays a bit like in the states and the old cinema tray carriers with loads of pre poored beer, correct money only sales etc etc. We live in the friggin dark ages with some of the rules and regs over here thats for sure. I think if a few groups branched out from the general singing areas of 109/110 etc it may help. Kind of "Go forth and create your own sections" type of guys, a group of 20 to 50 could certainly start something off in other areas that occasionally raise a song. Bit like our mate up in 309/310 from north yorkshire, he's created his own group up in tier 3. Keep up the good work though, and if the drum at Wigan was City, well why not on occasion use that at the right games.

Flags, scarves and singing. Thats all we need!

Hopefully I'm ordering this bad boy tomorrow (hold up flag):

POWERSERGE.jpg

So expect to see it at a few away games/big games at Eastlands.

I think we need a proper City end. Some might argue that we already have the South Stand and the Singing Section, well, for me that just wont do. I see all the different aspects of our club that are changing into being the best in the world, and then I look at the Cheadle End at Stockport's Edgeley Park that holds 5044 people and see that our two little efforts either side of the away fans total about 3000 and it just doesn't cut it for me.
I've decided (very recently as i've had a different stance in the past) that I want to make East Stand Level 1, from 101-111, the Singing Section. Fuck just having a little effort in the corner available for it, that's Lg2/Conference shit, let's have a number of thousand.

We can't have it in the North Stand because at that end we have the Family Stand; and we can't have it in the South Stand because deep down the Police and City are quite reluctant to move the away fans from where they are, they get the full end in cup games anyway, and loads of us vocal fans who have good seats don't want to be behind the goal (I want my good view).

So let's do something with the stand we can do something with. Let's make our "City end" the East Stand. [109]110/111 is a bit of a poor effort right now, not for the people stood there, but for the size of it (or lack of).

I've said many times that at Wembley there were 15k prepared to stand all game. We've been to Old Trafford and Blackburn and had 7-9000 prepared to stand up. Yet we have just 3000 places at our own ground. If we had ESL1 that might give us about 5000, plus what there is in the South Stand. Now this isn't giving us what other big supported clubs have for their vocal stands (United 18000, Villa 14500, Liverpool 12500, SheffUtd 12000, SheffWeds 11000, or even Blackburn who have 7000) it is really only lining us up with Stockport's Cheadle End of 5044... but at least it's more than we currently have and it's a start.

This might never happen, but it is my new stance on it all, whatever that counts for!

Uber Blues said:
I stood on the Kippax as a teenager in the 70s and that place rocked i can tell you. Why is it different now ? I'm not all together sure, but maybe it's a few things rolled together that kills it off a bit, all seater stadiums, people with their mobile phones glued on the ends of noses etc etc. I think the biggest problem is very very late arrival into the stadium leaves little or no time to raise a decent pre kick off atmosphere. I was always in Maine Road for about 2.15 pm and it was always rocking at 2.40 building up to kick off, especially for the big games.
I really dont understand why in this day and age you can't have a beer in your seat, you could have beer mules with trays a bit like in the states and the old cinema tray carriers with loads of pre poored beer, correct money only sales etc etc. We live in the friggin dark ages with some of the rules and regs over here thats for sure. I think if a few groups branched out from the general singing areas of 109/110 etc it may help. Kind of "Go forth and create your own sections" type of guys, a group of 20 to 50 could certainly start something off in other areas that occasionally raise a song. Bit like our mate up in 309/310 from north yorkshire, he's created his own group up in tier 3. Keep up the good work though, and if the drum at Wigan was City, well why not on occasion use that at the right games.
Some people actually think it's cool to miss kick off!
Football clubs would make a fortune if beer was allowed in the seats. Football has no more fans than big concerts/gigs yet the rules are so different. People throw full pints of piss over others at gigs and nobody bats an eyelid. Yet at the football you can't even take a bottle with a lid on or a bottle at all to your seat.
There are some people in different parts of the ground who sing more than many people who stand in the vocal areas. These people need to keep it going. I've noticed recently that more and more are actually coming out of their shell and joining in.
I think drums drown out spontaneous singing. The Wigan drum kept getting in the way of our singing. They also become overused and the drummer over reliant on it.

i totally agree mate, we need a true singing end, and how we gave away supporters the whole south stand for our 2 big cup games i will never know. Ridiculous planning by city ! Against liverpool it was flat . . .
City might get serious about the whole south stand for us, i can see that working so long as the supporters stick to it and sing with pride. Atmosphere is getting better needs to carry on upwords. Take rovers away for example, 6,500 and i was told by rovers fans they watched us rather than the game at times because we were more entertaining, loudest fans seen there.
If we can get this in the south stand we'v cracked it..
Like you say though, will the police let away supporters move in to third tier. At moment we give away fans to many tickets and prime spot, not many other grounds do this...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.