MCFC v Rags money spent on transfers - last 20 years

In 1986 AC Milan were bankrupt and fighting every year over relegation. Then Berlusconi came to the rescue by spending hismillions, he went on to win leagues and trophies, no one dared say anything. Actually, they thought he was a "winner".

Something similar happened to Inter Milan with a new rich owner, Moratti, in the mid 90s (spent millions, with very few results, showing everybody not only do you need money but you have to know how to spend it).

Then we could talk about Chelsea before we talk about City. And then PSG or Monaco...

The truth is that everyone who slags us off is purely, simply envious.

Mancunium said:
In 1986 AC Milan were bankrupt and fighting every year over relegation. Then Berlusconi came to the rescue by spending hismillions, he went on to win leagues and trophies, no one dared say anything. Actually, they thought he was a "winner".

Something similar happened to Inter Milan with a new rich owner, Moratti, in the mid 90s (spent millions, with very few results, showing everybody not only do you need money but you have to know how to spend it).

Then we could talk about Chelsea before we talk about City. And then PSG or Monaco...

The truth is that everyone who slags us off is purely, simply envious.

Most clubs want excitement, entertainment and competition. United and their needy "supporters" despise all of those things. They just want to win, by any means. If there was a premier league of just the one club it would suit them. Such is their delusion to what the word sport actually means.

Sad to the extreme.

mcfc2607 said:
sorry mate but united have spent zero.
Everyone knows they come through the youth system.

They even get money of sky for not spending any money.

riggymcfc123 said:
knuckles said:
Keep going Blues, I need as much ammunition as I can get against this guy!!!! He is a real rag, you know the type, never goes, always wears his rag shirt when they win or when City lose, I want to put him away with cold hard facts so keep them coming

CTID

Mate, if he doesn't go, wears the shirt when they win or City lose etc, then he aint worth argueing with!
My dad once told me "Never argue with an idiot...he'll drag you down to he's level then, beat you on experiance!!" ;-)

Post of the day!

1992-93
Schmeichel
Blackmore
Irwin
Pallister
Parker
Ince
Kanchelskis
Phelan
Robson
Sharpe
Webb
Cantona
Dublin
Hughes
McClair
Wallace
...all bought; only Walsh Ferguson and Giggs weren't bought from that squad.
In the years leading up to this Donaghy Robins Sealey Leighton Bosnic Anderson and Gibson were all bought; with only Duxbury and Beardsmore coming through at United.

Present Day
de Gea
Rafael
Evra
Jones
Ferdinand
Valencia
Anderson
Rooney
Smalling
Lindegaard
Hernandez
Vidic
Carrick
Nani
Young
van Persie
Henriquez
Cleverly
Powell
Kagawa
Macheda
Buttner
Bebe
Fabio
Valera
Zaha
...all bought; with just Evans Giggs Fletcher Wellbeck and a bunch of players who rarely, if ever, play in Wooton Keane Amos and Johnstone being home grown.
But don't let any of this dispel the myth that all of United's players grew up kicking a ball around Trafford Park in the shadow of their ground.

I included the 1992-93 squad and players who played in the years leading up to that because Rags often use the "but we've bought them with money we won from winning trophies", line. But they hadn't won a league title for over a quarter of a century and had built the most expensive team ever assembled, at the time, to win that first Premiership(as it was called then) title.

Their point is that they "earned" their money through success while we just landed a sugar daddy.

But it never occurs to them that in his first years in the late 80s (when United were earning zero money from zero success) Ferguson did have loads of money to spend. What would he have done without it?

I've just done a quick calculation with the link below on the Veron and Ferdinand transfers, for approximately £30m each around the same time.

Taking into consideration inflation, that amounts to about £84m - allow me to emphasis :two players for £84. And we're getting grief for having spent approx. £80m for 4 class players.

There are so many ways you can analyse the rag's spending, and it'll only equate to what we've done or worse.

I think also we should consider the £80m crazy bid for Ronaldo, which would skew some of the stats somewhat. Ronaldo is undoubtedly a quality player, but with Madrid ready to spunk money through every orifice, United were able to inflate the price somewhat - that rise from the previous highest world transfer is not proportional. So in that respects, Madrid basically just fed money into United.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/education/Pages/inflation/calculator/flash/default.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/educatio ... fault.aspx</a>

mikraphone said:
I've just done a quick calculation with the link below on the Veron and Ferdinand transfers, for approximately £30m each around the same time.

Taking into consideration inflation, that amounts to about £84m - allow me to emphasis :two players for £84. And we're getting grief for having spent approx. £80m for 4 class players.

There are so many ways you can analyse the rag's spending, and it'll only equate to what we've done or worse.

I think also we should consider the £80m crazy bid for Ronaldo, which would skew some of the stats somewhat. Ronaldo is undoubtedly a quality player, but with Madrid ready to spunk money through every orifice, United were able to inflate the price somewhat - that rise from the previous highest world transfer is not proportional. So in that respects, Madrid basically just fed money into United.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/education/Pages/inflation/calculator/flash/default.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/educatio ... fault.aspx</a>

According to Wiki Ferdinand cost £34m including agents fees (Leeds received about £30m) in 2002, with the help of your link (thanks for that) equivalent to £46.8m in 2012 for Ferdinand.

Say no more.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.