Media bias against City

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny isn't it that the "Empty seats" tag only came into existence in the media and fans after we became a threat of winning leagues! The last stick of the bitter..

Alive and well I see, no doubt the Sunday Supplement boys will have a right fucking go at us this morning over ruining football again., I don't buy newspapers anymore except in exceptional circumstances.

I have actually given up on listening to football podcasts this season bar specific City ones. what is it with football that a sizeable proportion of it's pundits and journalists are basically inept, lazy and agenda driven?. You listen and watch programmes on cricket, athletics and Rugby and it is a completely different ball park, compare and contrast the likes of MIchael Johnson and John McEnroe with the motley crew on Match of the Day.

Strange response. I asked a very specific question. Why do you find a few empty seats to be embarrassing?

No it's not a strange response, what is strange is assuming I have some socially awkward disposition just because I find a club of our stature selling out one week then the following week people can't be arsed, then to have fans think when the media pull this up its all lies and just an agenda.

The more we sell out the higher our gate receipts will be thus meaning the more income the club will make, fans bury their heads in the sand and act like not getting a full house week in week out isn't an issue when it clearly is as we'll never compete with the elite clubs around Europe especially with FFP unless some fans are happy to only improve the squad every other season?

No it's not a strange response, what is strange is assuming I have some socially awkward disposition just because I find a club of our stature selling out one week then the following week people can't be arsed, then to have fans think when the media pull this up its all lies and just an agenda.

The more we sell out the higher our gate receipts will be thus meaning the more income the club will make, fans bury their heads in the sand and act like not getting a full house week in week out isn't an issue when it clearly is as we'll never compete with the elite clubs around Europe especially with FFP unless some fans are happy to only improve the squad every other season?

The thing is any vacant seats bar a small amount of corporate tickets have already been sold so the club have the money.

53k is a good attendance personally I dont bother about pointing out empty seats at other clubs anymore because for one the price of tickets in todays game is ridiculous.
God some fans and the media would of had a field day in the 70's 80's and 90's with the amount of empty seats there were!

It's funny how you've tried to shift the narrative. Based on what you've posted you sound like you're 'disappointed' rather than 'embarrassed'.

The game was sold out, give or take, Watford end excepted. It was 2,000 short of capacity and I'd say around two thirds of that shortfall was in the Watford end where, by definition, there are no season tickets so we can include at least 1,200 at away fans not taking their club's allocation, as part of the shortfall.

So, give or take, all tickets in the City end were sold. That doesn't mean that it was full. There were gaps around me in CB3 and I noticed quite a few in the North Stand, but those seats have been sold, to season ticket holders who couldn't make the game presumably. Or couldn't be arsed. So your argument about revenue holds no water. Any shortfall in turnover is minuscule and inconsequential based on the above.

My advice is try and not to worry about what others think about how full our stadium is or isn't. Being embarrassed at a few empty seats is a bit, well, embarrassing.

Last edited:
God some fans and the media would of had a field day in the 70's 80's and 90's with the amount of empty seats there were!
Was just about to post the same earlier mate, but got distracted. Look at pretty much any game at Maine Road and there's gaps in the seats, especially in the North Stand. Were people embarrassed then? Have they always been embarrassed? What a strange way to support a football club; always being embarrassed at your club's attendances.

Also another point on empty seats is that the big clubs around Europe with quite sizeable stadiums don't always sell out.
Sure you'll see a Barcelona game in the champs league and the Nou Camp is packed full but in a domestic fixture playing some lower league Spanish club in mid week and there's thousands of empty seats.

Football isn't like attending a church where we have to pray.... It's like attending a Cinema where we have to pay.

Funny isn't it that the "Empty seats" tag only came into existence in the media and fans after we became a threat of winning leagues! The last stick of the bitter..
I noticed how Sky set their cameras up to pan nicely to the empty seats top left of the new stand.
The good thing was Raheem scoring early second half, most of the bar flies missed it, really pisses me off late comers dawdling back obstructing my view as I sit on aisle seat, ignorant cnuts !

Barcelona have on average 25,000 empty seats at home games and don't get me started on the Milan clubs in the San Siro.

The gate yesterday was excellent, support is the only thing both the 'ugly sisters' in red have on us now. We do not have thousands pilling in from Ireland or supporters buses from Wrexham, Barrow, Barnsley, Worcester, Peterborough etc like those two, the vast majority of our support comes from the Manchester area and the north west in general, in the main numbers wise it is excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.