Media coverage 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you haven't seen Jamie Jackson's comments yet, read this. Genuinely makes you laugh. https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ter-united-city-premier-league-player-ratings

They are turning on De Gea. Man Utd are in self-destruct mode. Imagine them without De Gea, and I find it highly unlikely he will extend his contract now.

Back to the topic in question. I have no problem at all in journalists being football fans and wearing their colours on their sleeves but you can not let it affect your judgement. Most people on here would do a better job. Simply embarrassing.
Danilo got a six. Was he our best defender? I think you get a five for turning up and then points added or taken away depending on what you do.

I see narrative changed in the media that Burnley are the ones to halt our title race. This follows Spurs and then Man U being billed as the ones to stop us... Gonna be unbearable until the end of the season then if we win our achievement will be brushed over before people start talking up Liverpool 2020 title challenge..
To be fair - many of our own are doing just this in the pre-Burnley thread !

English punditry has done my head in for a long time, the myopia is insufferable. Goals from aesthetically attractive footballing sides are routinely dissected from a defensive perspective on the errors that didn't directly result in the goal but somehow becomes the focus rather than the beauty of the goal or play. It's a bit glass is half empty sort of logic really. In their world, apparently, every goal is an error or they only give merit to goals from a physical or counterattacking side. Much of last night's post match analyses was focused on the gulf in class but particularly on the 'errors' that led to goal rather than the team & play that manufactured passages of play that facilitated scoring chances.

Decidedly very little credit for the football from City much less the sheer dominance to be in a shout for every title at the business end of each season. The narrative tells you a lot about how out of touch English football remains in spite of the Pep revolution.

Last edited:
To be fair - many of our own are doing just this in the pre-Burnley thread !

Its amazes me, I would rather be in City's position than Liverpools position. People forgetting that Liverpool have Barca away then Newc away as well as Wolves who are great against attacking teams...

English punditry has done my head in for a long time, the myopia is insufferable. Goals from aesthetically attractive footballing sides are routinely dissected from a defensive perspective on the errors that didn't directly result in the goal but somehow becomes the focus rather than the beauty of the goal or play. It's a bit glass is half empty sort of logic really. In their world, apparently, every goal is an error or they only give merit to goals from a physical or counterattacking side. Much of last night's post match analysis was focused on the gulf in class but particularly on the 'errors' that led to goal rather than the team & play that manufactured passages of play that facilitated scoring chances.

Decidedly very little credit for the football from City much less the sheer dominance to be in a shout for every title at the business end of each season. The narrative tells you a lot about how out of touch English football remains in spite of the Pep revolution.

I don’t think it does. The pundits who comment on the games - Shearer, Giggs, Keane, Souness, all had their heyday in the 90s or before. Even Neville has been out of the game for getting on for 10 years. I agree they are out of touch, but they are history themselves.

When you look at how a lot of teams have started to play, the Pep effect is clear to see. I was interested to see how closely Spurs mirrored our tactics over three games - short goal kicks, playing out from the back, pressing etc. English football has moved on, and it is no surprise there were four English teams in the last 8 of the champions league. The pundits may be stuck in the past, but the game on the pitch has overtaken Germany and Spain.

The rent boy looked close to tears both during the game and in his interview afterwards.

The magnitude of the task he faces is starting to sink in. It is one thing breezing in and lifting a depressed dressing room after moan a lot, but another then sorting out all the toxic ego's and getting them playing once that wears off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.