Media Discussion - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard it a couple of times in the last season, loud and obvious and directed at other fans, but unfortunately it was people behind me and neither time was I able to work out who it was. Many other fans will have clearly heard but nothing happened. Both those incidents were guys being aggressive to Asian fans, with the suggestion they were not proper fans, and made direct references to their race.

For players today, then clearly it's not constant bananas and monkey chants like in the 70s - it's probably something a bit more subtle that one person will see and others won't. Yaya, Sterling, and Mahrez got a lot more questions about their attitude, and were often referred to as lazy. Now there are probably times they did have a bad attitude, like all players, and no doubt many on this site will argue race has nothing to do with it, and for many fans it doesn't. But If City or England lose then the abuse is disproportionately directed at the black players, even if most people are self aware enough these days not to use racist terms.

I don't think Mahrez got as much abuse because he wasn't white as Sterling did, but I loved him as a player, and at times he dragged City to some big results. He may have had off games, but Kev plays a lot more FFS balls, than Mahrez did (because that's the nature of trying something special), and I didn't see a player that hid, any more than others when things weren't going well. Yet he is still given more grief for his attitude, and for being lazy, than most players.

It doesn't follow that all of the people that think that are racist, because every fan has their favourites, and players they don't think are up to much - but that's the kind of abuse the racists amplify and the kind of abuse they hide behind. We know there are millions of racist people in the UK, so of course there are plenty of racist City fans.

ps. that might have been a bit rambling - struggling to type at the moment, as I've just dislocated/fractured my shoulder, so just pecking it out with one finger painfully.
Re your injury , i have been there so i wish you the best

Deflection tactics! By flipping the accusations against the media of racism what better way to get it into the public psyche than to imply there is racism amongst our support.Getting into the psyche is a tactic that's been used successfully by them for example Emptyhad. What you have to question is the mindset of the author to even contemplate or insinuate that race & religion are the factor in this instance. On what evidence did he gauge the feelings of the supporters to formulate his opinion? If it was from this forum he would have noticed a thread thanking Riyad Mahred. I was led to believe that racism (amongst other things) was the use of prejudice or discrimination against others from any geographical area which includes regions within your own country. In the South stand one game against Liverpool, a vocal chap next to me joined in with a chant (can't remember who) against someone being racist the song ended so VC turned towards the Liverpool fans and began " You Scouse B******s, You Scouse B*******s etc...." which of course is racist.

No it isn't.

Scouse isn't an ethnicity.

What next? Calling someone a Cockney wanker is racist?

I see F365 have an article about City transfer of players from the academy or players who never featured for the first team, but have been sold. Banner headline is
The Manchester City cheat code: how Guardiola has made £200m+ by selling unused players.
So selling players now falls under fuckin cheating. What next how much City charge for a pie and a pint at the match

Generally speaking the phrase 'cheat code' used in that context isnt necessarily negative and doesn't necessarily imply actual cheating, just that someone has performed unbelievably well. They called Haaland a cheat code; not sure playing a centre forward up top is really cheating.

If a yoof phrase and isnt synonymous with 'cheating.'

Racism isn't just about the colour of your skin it can encompass age, race, gender, religion etc and as I wrote a geographical area which can be a countryor district. Racism includes using offensive terms towards minority indigenous people.

Word salad nonsense.

Cambridge Dictionary​

Racism:
harmful or unfair things that people say, do, or think based on the belief that their own race makes them more intelligent, good, moral, etc. than people of other races :

policies, behaviours, rules, etc. that result in a continued unfair advantage to some people and unfair or harmful treatment of others based on race :

Calling someone an old fart isn't racist it's ageist and calling a woman a slag isn't racist either it's misogynistic.

I could go on, but you seem a bit confused, maybe that's me being racist? Who knows when words mean whatever one wants them to mean.

Last edited:
Word salad nonsense.

Cambridge Dictionary​

Racism:
harmful or unfair things that people say, do, or think based on the belief that their own race makes them more intelligent, good, moral, etc. than people of other races :

policies, behaviours, rules, etc. that result in a continued unfair advantage to some people and unfair or harmful treatment of others based on race :

Calling someone a old fart is not racist it's ageist and calling a woman a slag isn't racist either it's misogynistic.

I could go on, but you seem a bit confused, maybe that's me being racist? Who knows when words mean whatever one wants them to mean.
Woke culture, don't ya' love it!

Maybe some of our fans need to realise that the players that play for our club are hired guns, some may love us, for others it's just a job. Their ethnicity or colour of their skin has nothing to do with their commitment to the club.
I recently chatted with the son of a former striker of ours from the 90s asking would his dad be made up with our Premier league win, he said no he's a Liverpool fan. I checked, he didn't play for them.
The fans are the heart and soul of every club, the players and management are our hired hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.