Media Discussion - 2023/24

He started out as a journalist on the Liverpool Echo.

This is from Wikipedia:

"In July 2011, Roger Alton gave an interview with Channel 4 News in which he lambasted members of the website Mumsnet for campaigning against the News of the World.[12] Some members of the website had campaigned against the newspaper after it was revealed that the News of the World employees had hacked mobile phone voicemail messages, including those of murdered teenager Milly Dowler and, allegedly, victims of the 7 July 2005 London bombings. Alton turned his anger on members of the public who campaigned against these practices, labelling the Mumsnet members "fair trade tea"-drinking, "organic shortbread"-eating "yummy mummies." The interview quickly became a hit on YouTube.[13]"

Whatever you think of Mumsnet he is attacking their members because they raise concerns over a newspaper that hacked the mobile phone of murdered teeenager and victims of a terrorist bombing. News of the World was shut down by its owner, Rupert Murdoch, in 2011 for these very reasons.
So, 13 years later, he's still a dick.

That part of the country seems to breed an extraordinary number of fucking idiots. Its like stupidity is the base level and they build from there.

I did reply...

"So many basic facts wrong with this article. I see the author on a completely different light now and will probably never read his column again.

If City win the APT case, there will be no free for all with respect to spending in the EPL. English football will revert to the situation where clubs' spending is limited to earnings; broadcast, matchday, prize money and sponsorship. Fair Market Value of sponsorship money is regulated by UEFA and that won't change either. So the idea that City are pushing for a free for all is wrong.

City are the only Premier League club supporting the introduction of an Independent Regulator. Think about the phrase the 'Tyranny of the Majority' and ask yourself why?

It's not 115 charges it's 130. Most journalists didn't even count the charges. This might seem like a trivial point but it is indicative of the amount of misinformation being peddled by the main stream media on this subject.

The APT and 115 cases are completely separate, so trying to connect the two is wrong.

The PL's 115 case is unlikely to succeed against City. The charges are so serious and so many major companies would need to have been involved over the 9 seasons under invedtigation, that it would be one of the biggest corporate scandals ever.

And yes, I am a lifelong blue and biased as hell. I'm also reassured by the facts. If I'm wrong and we kick off in the National League in 2026/7, I'll still be there."

... for all the good it will do.

Also UEFA have fair play value on sponsors and why psg got knocked down from 200m a year about 9/10 years ago to 100m!

The ignorance from the media when if they actually take the hate for Man City out of it and do REAL research they would become a much better at there jobs!

So, 13 years later, he's still a dick.

That part of the country seems to breed an extraordinary number of fucking idiots. Its like stupidity is the base level and they build from there.
If Wikipedia is correct I think you are being polite. In current vernacular he is a ****'s ****.

He started out as a journalist on the Liverpool Echo.

This is from Wikipedia:

"In July 2011, Roger Alton gave an interview with Channel 4 News in which he lambasted members of the website Mumsnet for campaigning against the News of the World.[12] Some members of the website had campaigned against the newspaper after it was revealed that the News of the World employees had hacked mobile phone voicemail messages, including those of murdered teenager Milly Dowler and, allegedly, victims of the 7 July 2005 London bombings. Alton turned his anger on members of the public who campaigned against these practices, labelling the Mumsnet members "fair trade tea"-drinking, "organic shortbread"-eating "yummy mummies." The interview quickly became a hit on YouTube.[13]"

Whatever you think of Mumsnet he is attacking their members because they raise concerns over a newspaper that hacked the mobile phone of murdered teeenager and victims of a terrorist bombing. News of the World was shut down by its owner, Rupert Murdoch, in 2011 for these very reasons.
I wouldn't mind but they didn't even shut down the News of the World, they just renamed it the Sun on Sunday and carried on as if nothing had happened.

Roger Alton in the Spectator...

... staggering Jordanesque levels, of ignorance.

I'll respond as best I can but it really is depressing and dispiriting.
He's taken the bait and not put one little bit of original opinion in that piece, state owned, will be able to finance without limitations, citing the likes of Wolves as the losers, oh dear, what an absolute prick, how do these knob heads get away with making a living writing that kind of shite without any knowledge of their subject?

He's taken the bait and not put one little bit of original opinion in that piece, state owned, will be able to finance without limitations, citing the likes of Wolves as the losers, oh dear, what an absolute prick, how do these knob heads get away with making a living writing that kind of shite without any knowledge of their subject?

On Wolves their owners Fosun International have a net worth of £5.5 billion they are hardly paupers with just £10 in their bank accounts are they? They showed ambition when they were promoted a few years back bringing George Mendes on board and hiring a lot of his clients in Portugal to play for them. FFP has since stunted their progress leaving them with next to zero transfer budgets each year. Fosun International probably have a black book of sponsors in China associated to them that could be used to increase revenue coming into the club. The sponsors would get huge exposure with the football mad Chinese obsessed with the Premier League watching on tv but also making the trips to England to watch the games. Wolves won’t be able to explore that market and instead of pushing on to the top four they are low to mid table club that could be a run of bad results to being in the relegation scrap next year.

If the red tops really wanted football to be fair every team in the Premier League would all have;-
  • The same value shirt sponsorship
  • The same value stadium sponsorship
  • The same squad size
  • The same wage bill
If the greedy owners want to take money out then let's also cap the attendance receipts to the lowest in the league and let them take the difference at their ground.

This would create a more level playing field, but it wouldn't give the red tops want they want i.e. a historic advantage, so it's a no go from the start.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.