Media Discussion - 2023/24

Yep, I've been trying to get Transfermarkt to make that correction(to stop people quoting incorrect capacity percentages), telling them about the front rows being removed for the LED hoardings, pointing them to the official PL website which has the updated capacity for PL games but it's been ignored.

In fairness, maybe there's a similar reason for Liverpool's average being lower than normal this season, with the final touches being put on the Anfield road stand expansion. It was partially open for the United game allowing for 7k extra seats for the first time. Edit: Yep it was reduced to 50k at the start of the season, 57k+ for the partial opening of the third tier. The full capacity will be 61k and they plan on getting that fully operational by the end of Jan. That will make Anfield the 3rd highest capacity in the PL, behind United and Spurs. Seems like being able to say that is important to the owners/board/marketing people as petty as it sounds, expect to see more of this with other clubs.

What you can remind Liverpool fans of is that they have no room to talk about our manager asking for more support/a better atmosphere. He's complained about that multiple times in past, since arriving at Anfield, he even complained about the early leavers. The difference is there isn't a running narrative about Liverpool's support not being up to scratch, like there is with City(unfairly so), in fact it's widely accepted that they are pandered to as a fanbase in our press.

He also did it again very recently after the 0-0 with United and again after the West Ham game. Both of those were 57k+ attendances. I haven't looked but I have to wonder did Talksport make this a topic of discussion? Was Danny Murphy asked what he thought about it? I doubt it and even if they did, they wouldn't have brought the same energy they did when Pep said similar.
West Ham now have a 65,000 capacity. They had 64k+ v Utd. Theirs is 2nd largest now. When ours is completed, we’ll have 61,968

Last edited:
West Ham now have a 65,000 capacity. They had 64k+ v Utd. Theirs is 2nd largest now. When ours is completed, we’ll have 61,986.
Not sure that's quite correct, they started with a 60k capacity for football matches, and increased that in 2021 to 62.5k. Well, that's what it says everywhere I've looked(including the PL site). That still places them 3rd but not by much since Tottenham's capacity is only 350 higher, with 62.835k. Having looked into it, the capacity of the London Stadium is 68k outside of football events, it's reduced for football due to safety regulations. They announced earlier this month though, that they plan to make the 68k available for football games. Which would place them comfortably in 2nd place. They will pay slightly more on the annual lease as part of the agreement but it's still probably going to irk a few people if it's true that it's already costing the City of London more in upkeep than they receive in lease payments from West Ham(the cost will technically go up, never mind break even).

However, what I read here(for the stadium expansion plans) was probably never correct since that was written in July 2021(not sure when West Ham added the 2.5k in 2021 but they surely weren't aware). So Anfield will never reach 3rd place and never was going to, not even a brief moment for the headlines. Serves me right for trusting a Liverpool source to have their facts right.

Last edited:
IMG_0873.jpegNot sure that's quite correct, they started with a 60k capacity for football matches, and increased that in 2021 to 62.5k. Well that's what it says everywhere I've looked(including the PL site). That still places them 3rd but not by much since Tottenham's capacity is only 350 higher, with 62.835k.

However, what I read here(for the stadium expansion plans) was probably never correct since that was written in July 2021(not sure when West Ham added the 2.5k in 2021 but they surely weren't aware). So Anfield will never reach 3rd place and never was going to, not even a brief moment for the headlines. Serves me right for trusting a Liverpool source to have their facts right.
Just recently increased. 64,472 v rags on Saturday.
IMG_0872.jpeg

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.