Media discussion - 2024/25

If it's true I agree.
I'm not sure if it's true as I'm approaching FOC status and it was nearly 20 years ago but IIRC his contract said he would be due 6 months salary as severance as a non EPL club but 12 months severance if dismissed if we were a top flight club.
In the big scheme of things it was around £200 or £300k.
He was dismissed in 2001 just after relegation and the club paid him 6 months salary, Joe went to court and won and the club were ordered to cough up an extra 6 months salary before the club won an appeal and Joe had to pay the 6 months salary back.
It dragged on for a while, and I'm pretty sure the club sent in the bailiffs who turned up at the Ipswich training ground.
Maybe the last part is bollock as it was a long time ago but the part about the severance and both parties going to court is true.
Yes I remember it well, as well as the fact it was about the interpretation of his notice period based on the construction of the relevant clause. Club should have just paid him the twelve months.

They had something ‘better’ lined up and that’s fair enough, but show a bit of respect. He left us in a far better state than he found us

Like I said, really small time from City.

Imagine how little self respect you need to have to do that for a living. Make shit up for publication. Literally sitting down and making something up for people to read. What a way to earn a living. Sub human scum.
Could be worse. You could be a lawyer.

Yes I remember it well, as well as the fact it was about the interpretation of his notice period based on the construction of the relevant clause. Club should have just paid him the twelve months.

They had something ‘better’ lined up and that’s fair enough, but show a bit of respect. He left us in a far better state than he found us

Like I said, really small time from City.
You could argue that but I'm not sure we were in a position to give £400k away that easily. By the end of that relegation season we reported a bank balance of £12,000 and a loss of nearly £14m.

And as you cogently pointed out a short while ago, when demolishing the argument that time-barring was a 'loophole', it was in UEFA's rules. The contract said that he would only get 6 months if we were a EFL side when he left. We'd handed back our PL share so we weren't a PL side at that point. That was the legal agreement and we enforced.

Joe probably wouldn’t have waived the costs had the roles been reversed.
I’m sure he wouldn’t have done, but he was the aggrieved party. He’d done nothing wrong other than falling short in our first season back in the PL.

Like I said, the club should have risen above it, rather than take cheap, technical points.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.