Media Thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
In addition to the issue you raise, I have a couple that I would have liked Conn to raise and analyse in this ‘article’:

1 Clubs which have gone into administration

The role played by such as Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal in making sweeping financial changes to the English game (including the attendance levy and the share of attendance receipts) all of which had direct, negative impacts on the fortunes of lower league clubs over the last three decades (and well before 2008 when Mansour’s takeover occurred)

2 The CAS findings in favour of City vs UEFA

The actions of the ‘properly constituted internal bodies’ in recharging City of misleading UEFA over its FFP performance, which were based upon stolen e-mails obtained from ‘Der Spiegel’/Rui Pinto; actions which, it appears, include reconstructing two of the offending e-mails (which CAS found in total to be not ‘offending’, in any way, shape or form..) to appear to be one e-mail that seemed to offer evidence against City. I don’t think the word ‘proper’ can be applied to any organisation that gets up to such behaviour.

I’m not going to hold my breath for Conn or his ilk to raise/analyse such issues though. Media planks like him are self-absorbed egotists, ten-a-penny scribblers..

Conn at it in The Guardian and he's got a full house and then some in the City Bingo card.

My biggest issue is that he says our owners have pumped £2.5B into the club which is not true. They have spent that amount on The City Football Group by acquiring other teams and building the infrastructure of said teams.

City have obviously been the main benefactor of the money but no one truly know

Working class football culture is hanging on by its finger nails, attacked in all directions by corporate greed and gentrification, it is misunderstood, patronised, stereotyped, ignored, seen as a problem, an unfortunate legacy of the past.

This isn't about an appreciation of classical music, this is about grafting whatever you like on football culture, because football culture is utterly debased, it's not worthy of celebration in its own right.

You know! It makes me want to stomp my feet.

I'm stomping (the song and video made me cringe though) !!!!

Me. An ordinary working class bloke who paddled through many a piss-puddled urinal.
I enjoyed it.
You might too if you give it a chance. Or something similar.
Or not. You'll get no judgement if you don't.
All I'm saying is the arts really aren't just for people who were born with a silver spoon in their mouth.

On a side note (and veering off topic) it's good to see the club supporting the arts, particularly during these times when artists are unable to perform and struggling to make ends meet.

We should all try to do the same in our own way. Take a chance on a book or a CD, go to a play when we can. Preferably something that we might not have necessarily done otherwise.

It'd be a very boring world, after all this pandemic shit settles down, if the only people whose mummies and daddies can afford to subsidies them were able to create art.
Well said, mate. I couldn't agree more.

Conn at it in The Guardian and he's got a full house and then some in the City Bingo card.

My biggest issue is that he says our owners have pumped £2.5B into the club which is not true. They have spent that amount on The City Football Group by acquiring other teams and building the infrastructure of said teams.

City have obviously been the main benefactor of the money but no one truly knows how much they have spent solely on us.

But tell a lie long enough and people will accept it as truth
The biggest myth is what has been ‘pumped’ in. They count every contract since the takeover as if we don‘t actually have an income stream that pays for these players, as if Sheikh Mansour pays for every player out of his own pocket, omitting that said income streams are ’pumped’ back into the club to cover costs.

This is the biggest lie and perpetuates the myth.

Marvin, off course it is a soft power project irrespective of the legal structure. It is even documented as such by the likes of Gary Cook who referred to it as a proxy for Abu Dhabi. Then there is the involvement of Simon Pearce. At the time of takeover he was the head of Strategic Communications for Abu Dabhi and his job was to protect and enhance the reputation of Abu Dhabi. Khaldoon, just a mate helping out? Come off it man.

BUT there is nothing wrong with soft power. The UK do exactly the same thing. Or attempt to anyway...
I agree with your comment about the failed PR campaign.

The problem comes with the derogatory term "sportswashing" and the inference that everything we do is to hide human rights abuses. That frankly is bollocks.
City were purchased to make the buyers a lot of money. Much is made of the investment made but a massive slug of that has already been recouped in the CFG shareholding’s sold to China and Silverlake, never mind the actual valuation of city now v pre takeover.

we have been very lucky that we were taken over by people who knew what they were doing - how to make money from football (which is a very difficult thing to do)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.