Media Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of our collective combining yesterday regarding the difficulty in finding news of City's game and result has paid off, thank goodness!

The cheeky-chappies on the Sports desk have responded by ensuring that today's 'Daily Fail' has restored football to its rightful place by having the first four stories on its interweb-thingy page all to do with Liverpool’s magnificent , 'hold the front page' performance in Milan last night. And as a bonus, story no.6 brings news of the impending arrival of none other than Kylian Mbappe to bolster the project at Liverpool, him having been in touch with local estate agents regarding bijou townhouses around Toxteth etc!

Now, perhaps everyone on 'the good ship Football' will calm down and finally be happy about the media's coverage of our national game..
Good to see. I counted 11 Liverpool stories in the first 30 in this morning's Mail Online. Clearly yesterday was an aberration, maybe due to technical problems or internet connection issues in Lisbon.

On the MEN page about city’s plane having to land at Liverpool.

“Liverpool airport welcomed the team to the football capital of England on Wednesday afternoon”

wow

I can't be the only one who saw Martin Samuel on Cheesey's Vlog from the game on Tuesday. Did he not do a write up?

On the MEN page about city’s plane having to land at Liverpool.

“Liverpool airport welcomed the team to the football capital of England on Wednesday afternoon”

wow

That porta cabin of an airport where you can only fly to stag do destinations, chalk and cheese compared to our beautiful international airport.

Despite it being a serious matter not just in UK but probably world wide, why is it like I am reading another article about City?

Because our academy takes all the talented players away from the rags. They unfortunately have to end up buying them for 70 odd million quid from Dortmund in the end.

Interesting week so far for me , sort of media related.

My Chelsea mate who works in the media for forty odd years now pop round. We got talking football and he was raving about how good City's football is. Than we mentioned the club world cup lol. I said I didnt know it was being played. He said that the way the press/media covered liverpool and Chelsea was chalk and cheese. He even had abit of a row with someone in his sports department about the lack of courage for Chelsea compared to the dippers.

Yesterday a spurs fan phoned me up first time in about 3 years again raving about Citys football. How much he liked watching City.

Both these two dislike the dippers and rags as much as the next man. So it seems that soon the only people buy the press/media products will be the dippers and rags. That's a very small percentage of football fans to pin your national product on.

Really football people can see how good City are on and off the field. The press/media can carry on with their bull shit but fans other than the dippers and rags are beginning to see thought it.

I am not that bothered as to the extent of media coverage. It matters more to me as to what the media say.

However I am curious as to why this is. Are the media right in assuming that good City news does not sell?

The easiest way of checking was I thought look at the number of twitter followers...

Barcelona 39.9m
Man Utd 29.7m
Chelsea 19.5m
Liverpool 19.3m
Arsenal 18.6m
Real Madrid 13.4m
City 11.5m
Spurs 6.9m

Does that surprise you? It seems to me that there is good logic as to why City do not feature much in media content. We just don't have the numbers. It must change with success but how long will it take?

Of course there are other metrics but this was the easiest one to check.

I think if you were to include China, City would be much higher but the British media is not interested in the Chinese. Perhaps they should be.

I am not that bothered as to the extent of media coverage. It matters more to me as to what the media say.

However I am curious as to why this is. Are the media right in assuming that good City news does not sell?

The easiest way of checking was I thought look at the number of twitter followers...

Barcelona 39.9m
Man Utd 29.7m
Chelsea 19.5m
Liverpool 19.3m
Arsenal 18.6m
Real Madrid 13.4m
City 11.5m
Spurs 6.9m

Does that surprise you? It seems to me that there is good logic as to why City do not feature much in media content. We just don't have the numbers. It must change with success but how long will it take?

Of course there are other metrics but this was the easiest one to check.

I think if you were to include China, City would be much higher but the British media is not interested in the Chinese. Perhaps they should be.
Back many years ago, City had the ‘lead’ in numbers in a couple of social media platforms iirc. (From socialbakers website back in the day)
United didn’t even have a presence on one of the major ones.
City’s YouTube channel smashed everyone else’s.

…. but the media coverage was the same as it is now - despite City with even more success on the pitch now.

So the argument that social media numbers drives media coverage is yet another ‘but only if your team plays in red’ fact.

I think he did.....For Sure.
Yes. He did. For sure ;)
That irritating saying seems very popular with the Dutch. I noticed it about 50 years ago. Whether they originated it with a similar phrase in their own language l am not sure. For sure.

Last edited:
BT spending 10 minutes on "Best in the world" Fabinho only for half time highlights to constantly feature him losing the ball cheaply was delightful last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.