Media Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great post. Here's what he said:

I didn't agree with the "vast majority" comment. I do agree there are some fans who will look for negatives in everything. We see that on here when someone complains about a piece someone has written, but most of us struggle to see what the problem is. But I'd say that at least 80% of coverage of City isn't fair or balanced. So 20% (at most) definitely isn't a "vast majority".

I certainly don't expect balance from the likes of United Stand or Anfield Wrap. I do expect it from the mainstream sports pages but you get the likes of Delaney, the smug middle-class racists in the Guardian, Herbert & Nick Harris in the Mail, Rob Harris at the Press Association and people like Syed at the times. It's not just that the coverage isn't fair and balanced, it's hateful.

Dave is one of the reasons I ended up doing 93.20. He inspires me. But that thread is a load of cobblers. I’ve heard him say similar things on Bluemoon and I always feel a bit disappointed. We are absolutely treated like shit as a club and punched down on as a supporter base. Worse than any other club (barring maybe Newcastle in future).

I'm guessing that the journalist involved was at the Guardian at that time, probably the same one I had a conversation with some years after that 2008 game. You'd probably be a bit shocked, like I was, at the real story behind those stories alleging City fans would disrupt the silence.
I suspected at the time that it came from within united and that they asked to play us that day specifically for that purpose.

Dave is one of the reasons I ended up doing 93.20. He inspires me. But that thread is a load of cobblers. I’ve heard him say similar things on Bluemoon and I always feel a bit disappointed. We are absolutely treated like shit as a club and punched down on as a supporter base. Worse than any other club (barring maybe Newcastle in future).
The vast majority of media coverage of us is fair?

Jesus wept!

Is he on the wind up? I can only imagine he's getting paid a top dollar and the anti city brigade have brainwashed him.

Why on earth has he tweeted that in the first place?

Very odd.

Bait and switch. Relentlessly troll and prod the club and the fanbase, then clutch their pearls and play the ‘touchy/weaponised’City fans card when they get some back.
Then followed by a round of backslapping from redshirt fans who are their ultimate target audience, along with their fellow shitposter hacks.
An embarrassment to the profession.
You couldn’t get a clearer example of gaslighting and anyone who still thinks this doesn’t go on is deluded

The vast majority of media coverage of us is fair?

Jesus wept!

Is he on the wind up? I can only imagine he's getting paid a top dollar and the anti city brigade have brainwashed him.

Why on earth has he tweeted that in the first place?

Very odd.
He has a long way to go before to gets anywhere near the poster Frank? Sinatra who used immediately jump to in to tell any blue who had the temerity to suggest City were not getting a fair crack of the whip that they were wrong.
I don't know whether he has changed his mind or just taken his custom elsewhere but he was amazing in the zeal of his mistaken views.

We know each other. You're a really nice guy and absolutely a City fan. The podcast is very professional and you obviously put a lot of work into it. It's what BBC Radio Manchester's Blue Tuesday should have been in fact.

But we've all said daft things at times, me included, and on Twitter I challenged your claim that the "vast majority" of coverage is fair and balanced. Of course not everything written about us is based on a negative agenda but I think quite a lot is.

I don't think it is fair and balanced in many areas and I've been one of the people trying to provide that balance over the last 10 years. None of the coverage of FFP/CAS was fair and balanced, as none of the journalists reporting on it took any trouble to understand the issues or the regulations. Whereas people like me, Stefan and others did have a detailed understanding of them. Did you ask either of us on the podcast to provide that balance?

I know Adam Crafton well, and as with you, would never get personal but that had material inaccuracies in it about our FFP case. It could also be read in a number of ways, depending on your starting position, but I thought that it showed the exceptional and genius strategy behind our commercial arrangements.

It's a regular feature of most televised games of ours, particularly against what we'll call the less well financed clubs, that the cost of the squad is highlighted against that of the opposition. Yet it's never done for clubs like united or Chelsea. These aren't isolated incidents are they?

You made some false claims about things that had been discussed at City Matters, about away tickets, without knowing the background and, as the representative of seasoncard holders, I messaged Richard offering to come on and discuss our thinking and correct what you'd said, which he ignored. That's when I stopped listening to Blue Moon podcast and I'm questioning whether you yourself really know what 'fair and balanced' is.

I remembered something else last night. Your and I were at a Football Writers Festival event a few years ago. I think you were on the panel, along with Oli Kay and Paul Lake among others. The subject was young players, as Kay had just published his book on Adrian Dougherty. Afterwards, Kay, yourself, myself and the Lakes were chatting and we got onto the subject of how the media operates. Kay was at The Times then and talked about what motivates the media. I always remember he said that he could write the greatest piece he'd ever written but if it didn't get enough clicks, then he would get his arse kicked by his editor.

That was The Times, not the Mail or other populist paper. We've seen it at the Guardian where the starting point is an almost racist hatred of our owner and his country. It's all about clicks, not balance. The question is, how many individual 'specific articles or items' does it take to indicate a pattern?

brilliant

We know each other. You're a really nice guy and absolutely a City fan. The podcast is very professional and you obviously put a lot of work into it. It's what BBC Radio Manchester's Blue Tuesday should have been in fact.

But we've all said daft things at times, me included, and on Twitter I challenged your claim that the "vast majority" of coverage is fair and balanced. Of course not everything written about us is based on a negative agenda but I think quite a lot is.

I don't think it is fair and balanced in many areas and I've been one of the people trying to provide that balance over the last 10 years. None of the coverage of FFP/CAS was fair and balanced, as none of the journalists reporting on it took any trouble to understand the issues or the regulations. Whereas people like me, Stefan and others did have a detailed understanding of them. Did you ask either of us on the podcast to provide that balance?

I know Adam Crafton well, and as with you, would never get personal but that had material inaccuracies in it about our FFP case. It could also be read in a number of ways, depending on your starting position, but I thought that it showed the exceptional and genius strategy behind our commercial arrangements.

It's a regular feature of most televised games of ours, particularly against what we'll call the less well financed clubs, that the cost of the squad is highlighted against that of the opposition. Yet it's never done for clubs like united or Chelsea. These aren't isolated incidents are they?

You made some false claims about things that had been discussed at City Matters, about away tickets, without knowing the background and, as the representative of seasoncard holders, I messaged Richard offering to come on and discuss our thinking and correct what you'd said, which he ignored. That's when I stopped listening to Blue Moon podcast and I'm questioning whether you yourself really know what 'fair and balanced' is.

I remembered something else last night. Your and I were at a Football Writers Festival event a few years ago. I think you were on the panel, along with Oli Kay and Paul Lake among others. The subject was young players, as Kay had just published his book on Adrian Dougherty. Afterwards, Kay, yourself, myself and the Lakes were chatting and we got onto the subject of how the media operates. Kay was at The Times then and talked about what motivates the media. I always remember he said that he could write the greatest piece he'd ever written but if it didn't get enough clicks, then he would get his arse kicked by his editor.

That was The Times, not the Mail or other populist paper. We've seen it at the Guardian where the starting point is an almost racist hatred of our owner and his country. It's all about clicks, not balance. The question is, how many individual 'specific articles or items' does it take to indicate a pattern?
RrVzUOXldFe8M.gif

Bait and switch. Relentlessly troll and prod the club and the fanbase, then clutch their pearls and play the ‘touchy/weaponised’City fans card when they get some back.
Then followed by a round of backslapping from redshirt fans who are their ultimate target audience, along with their fellow shitposter hacks.
An embarrassment to the profession.
You couldn’t get a clearer example of gaslighting and anyone who still thinks this doesn’t go on is deluded

I feel sorry for them and I'm grateful that I don't need to earn my coin by behaving in such a low rent intellectually disingenuous fashion. Sportingintel, Crafton, Miggles, the fucking Guardian pseuds corner, they're all the same. Just upset little boys that the clubs they support aren't as good as City.

It will always come back to the fact that we changed the hierarchy of English football and they don't like it. Well, I'm arsed whether they like it or not. The more upset they get, the more I want City to continue to buy the very best to ensure our dominance continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.