Media Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chapman, a dyed in the wool rag but a decent sort, at least redressed the balance slightly at the end by questioning why City’s brilliant win at Chelsea had flown under the radar. Micah just replied with some nonsense about how brilliant Foden was at the weekend.

In a very shallow way I like Micah because he’s a blue, if he wasn’t a blue I’d think he was a bit of a tit to be honest.

They’ll keep repeating the narrative that we are owned by a nation state until the likes of talksport or five live are pulled up on it by fans phoning in and putting them right on it,no need to be ranting or shouting just put the facts across simple as that,for all that I despise the red scousers they would be on like a shot telling them how it is if it was them in our position..

One of the reasons that women's boxing got the go-ahead in the Olympics was because the standard achieved by women boxers (and Katie Taylor in particular - she was actually specifically mentioned in the report to the OCI) was deemed too high to ignore.
Her skill level is therefore undoubted. She has earned the right to be compared with anyone.

She actually changed the sport of boxing and the way people, expert and non-expert alike, view it.
Very few athletes can say that.
Now, if you didn't like the Sugar Ray comparison you won't like this one but there you go, sport is all about opinions:

In fact, by opening it up to half of the world's population, she has probably had the greatest impact on the sport of boxing since Ali... if not greater.
“Changed the sport of boxing” is some statement. Couldn’t disagree more pal. I’ve been boxing training most of my life and since the late 90s my gym has been chocca with girls training there. I don’t think one report to the utterly corrupt IOC mentioning Katie is significant, it’s only my experience but more girl boxers I know were into Nicola Adams than Katie at the time they broke through.

Certainly one report to whomever sheds no real light on the individual talent of one fighter. Good luck to her, she seems like a lovely girl and is as dedicated as many male pros but let’s have it right I’d rate Katie’s skill set as equivalent to area title / fringe British level in the men’s game. And even if she had the incredible out of this world skills of an elite male boxer, true greatness is only measured by the standard of your opponents and the depth in women’s boxing, the pro game more so than the ams, is laughably poor.

Anyone half decent can look amazing on the pads or fighting overmatched opponents. Greatness at any sport is achieved by fighting people better than you or of a similar standard and finding those little extra improvements that turn promising into good into very good into great. Beating smaller, completely out of their depth opponents doesn’t fool anyone nor does Sky’s pundits hysterical reaction to her and in fact any of their house boxers.

By all means celebrate her for what she is - one of the finest female boxers in the world but let’s keep it realistic.

Quite. Though believe me, that was nothing compared to Smith talking about our club (which went unchallenged by all).
Micah is a painful listen alright I cringed when he said to Chapman that he'd changed in the last 18 months given what he'd been through in that time.
Smith on the other hand is on another level as he knows exactly what he is saying. Not the first time he has dropped in the nation state line unchallenged.

Micah is a painful listen alright I cringed when he said to Chapman that he'd changed in the last 18 months given what he'd been through in that time.
Smith on the other hand is on another level as he knows exactly what he is saying. Not the first time he has dropped in the nation state line unchallenged.
100% mate with every word of that post.
And yep, I also had an uneasy feeling too when MR made that 18 mont comment.
The sooner Smith is off air the better. I’d love to know how it works, as it seems a bit shrouded in mystery, but why out of all the print journalists out there is this particular one chosen be a regular on bbc national radio every week? Did an advert go out for all journalists in the UK to apply for, or did he get it cos he’s a mate of someone at bbc, or one of the presenters thought he’d be good… I’ve no idea, but he seems to have just ‘appeared’ in recent years.

100% mate with every word of that post.
And yep, I also had an uneasy feeling too when MR made that 18 mont comment.
The sooner Smith is off air the better. I’d love to know how it works, as it seems a bit shrouded in mystery, but why out of all the print journalists out there is this particular one chosen be a regular on bbc national radio every week? Did an advert go out for all journalists in the UK to apply for, or did he get it cos he’s a mate of someone at bbc, or one of the presenters thought he’d be good… I’ve no idea, but he seems to have just ‘appeared’ in recent years.
A lot of these 'journalists ' did the rounds on the various outlets and their names became vaguely familiar where he, as you allude to, just appeared with a regular slot. My guess is that he got the gig through connections. Maybe he was on the same 'media' course as someone on the editorial staff at the Beeb.
Been on there a good few years now doubt he's disappearing any time soon.
Best slot on 5 live nowadays is 12-2 on a Sunday with Crossman and Nedum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.