Media thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes I forget myself, though, and can mix up my forms or occasionally even use an Americanism. I remember a few years back on here when posting about the Adam Johnson trial and mentioning that he'd be "on the stand" later in the day. The poster Coleridge, whom I haven't seen on here for ages but would like to see return, quite rightly tore a strip off me for not referring to the witness box.
’Taking the stand’ Is a truly wank expression.

leicester owners write off debt around 200 million i guess wont effect FFP as not in european competitions

Shouldn't have an effect at all.
It will already be in the FFP calculations as owner investment.

All they've done is say "that 200m we loaned the club is now not a loan and thus non-repayable".

He's also not very bright, although amazingly I've seen numerous claims to the contrary. I've never thought him in any way smart, but I've been living outside the UK ever since he started on talkSPORT so wondered if I might be missing something. To make that assessment, I've been monitoring for quite a while those clips that the station put out on social media to showcase what are presumably considered his more pertinent comments.

I'm glad to say I've been conclusively vindicated in my original view. His ability to construct any kind of reasoned argument is manifestly pitiable. However, even though being marginally more eloquent than the station's other pundits is really no kind of qualification, some people seem to regard him as well spoken, with an impressive vocabulary.

This notion is bollocks, as well, not least because when he tries to deploy what are big words by talkSPORT standards, he frequently misuses them. For instance, the last time I looked at one of those short videos of him making a point, he used 'patronage' as a verb. That's not indicative of someone who's articulate in any way (the word you were groping for ineffectually, Simon, was 'patronize', in the sense of being a regular customer). All this shows him up as someone who's trying desperately to look clever but is really an impostor, lacking any genuine intellectual prowess.

That's to say nothing of the fact that he's risibly proclaimed an expert in the off-field side of football when his credentials involve inept blundering to lead Crystal Palace into an insolvency event. Only in the British sports media could a demonstrable clown and weapons-grade **** like this be held up as a paragon of informed intelligence.
Very well put dissection of Mr Jordan.

But I must say that last sentence was tremendous!

Hate the creeping Americanisation of our language - as one or two posters might have noticed!
I have a reputation in our office for going mad about the influx of Americanisations, even though the truth is it's been going on all my life.

It's like holding back the tide. The battle is already lost with "I'm good thanks", "awesome/amazing", starting sentences with so etc. But these days people are just blatantly betraying their own culture and language and saying that things "suck" or that they are "pissed" or ending statements with "period".

I tend to agree with you, and wouldn't limit it only to the language. It irritates me greatly, for instance, that we now need to have Proms in Britain when our kids leave school or we have Black Friday sales, in both cases just because Americans have them. I generally write in British English in my job unless we'd specifically addressing an American client. but the -ize suffix dates back in British English to the 15th century and was used by Shakespeare so I have a fairly clear conscience with that particular point even though I mostly use -ise in personal writing.

Sometimes I forget myself, though, and can mix up my forms or occasionally even use an Americanism. I remember a few years back on here when posting about the Adam Johnson trial and mentioning that he'd be "on the stand" later in the day. The poster Coleridge, whom I haven't seen on here for ages but would like to see return, quite rightly tore a strip off me for not referring to the witness box.
The worst one for me is the change I’ve seen from a kid when Halloween was literally nothing, just telling a few ghost stories. Bonfire Night or Guy Fawkes night was much the bigger of the two “celebrations“. Baked potatoes in the bonfire and black peas with plenty of vinegar, with a toffee apple. Now everyone dresses up their Kids and come round asking for “candy” on Halloween. Fireworks night as it’s now known is an opportunity for people who’ve never heard of Guy Fawkes to frighten a few elderly pets to death.

And another thing. Nostalgia was better back then too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.