Media thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the more common variant, I'll grant you, but I've never seen a reputable style guide say anything other than that both -ise and -ize suffixes are acceptable in British English. I tend to write for an international readership in my work, so prefer the option that works in both British and American English. :)
I tend to use the z form, but the response of ‘patronise’ was a perfect example of Bluemoon style useless pedantry. Keep it up, guys.

I tend to agree with you, and wouldn't limit it only to the language. It irritates me greatly, for instance, that we now need to have Proms in Britain when our kids leave school or we have Black Friday sales, in both cases just because Americans have them. I generally write in British English in my job unless we'd specifically addressing an American client. but the -ize suffix dates back in British English to the 15th century and was used by Shakespeare so I have a fairly clear conscience with that particular point even though I mostly use -ise in personal writing.

Sometimes I forget myself, though, and can mix up my forms or occasionally even use an Americanism. I remember a few years back on here when posting about the Adam Johnson trial and mentioning that he'd be "on the stand" later in the day. The poster Coleridge, whom I haven't seen on here for ages but would like to see return, quite rightly tore a strip off me for not referring to the witness box.
Some expressions, habits, events etc are thought of as American, but they are actually British. We have moved on leaving such things behind, but the Americans being a bit slow, retain these old forms and re-export them to us.
—Halloween is Irish, not American.
—‘color’ and similar forms are English originally. Not sure when or why we started adding the u to everything.(French influence?)
—Not doubling the last consonant when declining a verb, e.g. ‘travelling‘ vs ‘traveling’ is American English, but came from here I think.
Similarly, the French habit of kissing both cheeks in greeting was copied from the English court where it died out and they’ve sent it back to us.
Sure there are plenty more examples but it’s too early in the morning for my brain.

New Premier League regulations to control who can buy football clubs – report

3 hrs ago
Everton fans set off flares outside the ground ahead of the Premier League match at Goodison Park, Liverpoo
Everton fans set off flares outside the ground ahead of the Premier League match at Goodison Park, Liverpoo
New legislation for the Premier League is reportedly set to trigger a major shakeup to how football clubs are run.

The yet-to-released Football White Paper, which The Sun claims to have seen in advance, will enforce tougher regulations on who can own clubs.

The measure will make sure only “fit and proper custodians” can take over outfits, in a bid to prevent multi-millionaires who cannot prove they amassed their fortune legitimately from owning English football clubs.

According to The Sun, the new regulations will also stop “greedy clubs” from joining breakaway competitions like the European Super League — which triggered huge protests by fans in 2021.

File photo dated 19-04-2021 of Leeds United players wearing ‘Football Is For The Fans’ shirts during the warm up at Elland Road, Leeds
The reforms will reportedly give fans more of a say in how clubs are run (Clive Brunskill/PA)
While all clubs in the top five flights of English football will need to gain a fresh licence to play under the proposals.

The reform will give fans more of a say in how clubs are run and stop bosses from radically changing kits and logos, the paper adds.

Culture Secretary Michelle Donelan reportedly wants the regulator in place for the 2024/25 season and will “formally unveil legislation imminently”.

Reports of the Football White Paper – which The Sun says Cabinet will soon be signing off on – comes after an independent Fan-Led Review of Football Governance by Tory MP Tracey Crouch in late 2022.

Fans watch on during the Barclays Women’s Super League match at Kingsmeadow, London
The White Paper will reportedly prevent multi-millionaires who cannot prove they amassed their fortune legitimately from owning English football clubs (Zac Goodwin/PA)
The latest review – an update on the Government-commissioned report into the game in November 2021 – included 10 key recommendations, each supported by more detailed strategy.

It proposed for a new independent regulator for English football to oversee financial regulation in the sport “to ensure financial sustainability of the professional game”.

Other parts of the strategy addressed corporate governance, diversity and new tests for club owners and directors.

The release of the White Paper has already seen several delays due to changing Conservative leadership – among other factors.

I'm abit late to the party lol.

But surely if the government is getting involved into the way football is run we are all fucked.

If fans are going to have a bigger say into how the club they support is run, it's that going to but investors/buyers of ?

I'll just spend 5 billion buying the rags but I must listen and run it as the scallys want it. Fuck that it's my money I make the decision or my management team do, not some no mark who buys fake club shirts.

Or have I totally miss understood all of this ?

As I have said many times the yanks are the biggest threat to our game

To be fair the amortisation isn't 'fiddled' - they spread the cost of transfer fees over a longer period of time because they've signed their players to longer contracts, eight and a half years in the case of Mudryk apparently. That's to their advantage in that they spread the 100 million or whatever over 8 years instead of 5, but the downside for them is that if the player is a flop they have to keep paying him 200 grand a week or whatever for 3 years longer than would be normal. So there are downsides as well as upsides to their approach, and they're probably quite fucked if they don't qualify for the Champions League as Swiss Ramble explained recently.
Phil Jones approves this post

New Premier League regulations to control who can buy football clubs – report

3 hrs ago
New legislation for the Premier League is reportedly set to trigger a major shakeup to how football clubs are run.

The yet-to-released Football White Paper, which The Sun claims to have seen in advance, will enforce tougher regulations on who can own clubs.

The measure will make sure only “fit and proper custodians” can take over outfits, in a bid to prevent multi-millionaires who cannot prove they amassed their fortune legitimately from owning English football clubs.

According to The Sun, the new regulations will also stop “greedy clubs” from joining breakaway competitions like the European Super League — which triggered huge protests by fans in 2021.

File photo dated 19-04-2021 of Leeds United players wearing ‘Football Is For The Fans’ shirts during the warm up at Elland Road, Leeds
The reforms will reportedly give fans more of a say in how clubs are run (Clive Brunskill/PA)
While all clubs in the top five flights of English football will need to gain a fresh licence to play under the proposals.

The reform will give fans more of a say in how clubs are run and stop bosses from radically changing kits and logos, the paper adds.

Culture Secretary Michelle Donelan reportedly wants the regulator in place for the 2024/25 season and will “formally unveil legislation imminently”.

Reports of the Football White Paper – which The Sun says Cabinet will soon be signing off on – comes after an independent Fan-Led Review of Football Governance by Tory MP Tracey Crouch in late 2022.

Fans watch on during the Barclays Women’s Super League match at Kingsmeadow, London
The White Paper will reportedly prevent multi-millionaires who cannot prove they amassed their fortune legitimately from owning English football clubs (Zac Goodwin/PA)
The latest review – an update on the Government-commissioned report into the game in November 2021 – included 10 key recommendations, each supported by more detailed strategy.

It proposed for a new independent regulator for English football to oversee financial regulation in the sport “to ensure financial sustainability of the professional game”.

Other parts of the strategy addressed corporate governance, diversity and new tests for club owners and directors.

The release of the White Paper has already seen several delays due to changing Conservative leadership – among other factors.
God help us.

I posted the other day wondering if the bombastic yank had done his sums correctly. Swiss Ramble’s comments make me think perhaps he hasn’t. They are taking a very big risk. If they had to sell players who could/would pay Chelsea level wages?
It’s as if they know something big is coming.

The white paper is for fans who are a happy flowers type. We don’t want this?

I welcome anything that gets us more input whilst protecting the heritage of clubs and its integral fanbase. Investment should be encouraged and debt flagged up. Fans need their pockets protecting during any overhaul.
Is protecting the heritage important? City do ok and we have no history at all.

The disparity in attitudes towards our spending (and Newcastle's) and Chelsea's is hilarious. Absolutely hilarious. Henry Winter literally saying it's their money and they can do what they want with it. The caucasity.
Stereotypically white (Caucasian) behaviour, especially arrogance or entitlement? Not sure what the colour of skin has to do with anything
Newcastle haven't spent anything yet as their turnover isn't big enough to allow big spending due to FFP.
Martin Samuel (Daily Mail) a bastion of anti FFP rules and how it was corruptly introduced, also stated "It's their money and they can do what they want with it" when referring to City's owners so not sure what your beef is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.