Media thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fuck me is this another stick to beat us with?

You got to love the media, they are consistent in trying to smear our name and belittle us.

Wankers.
Doesn’t help when a so called City fan and a so called City reporter are happy to share this smear campaign
Of course the US-owned Athletic will be happy to continue pushing the narrative that white American ownership is good but brown Arab ownership is bad

DBF9CDCB-88BE-4FDB-93B2-A087D8D54769.jpegD5CE60F8-A74E-487D-B81F-D08DB2158D32.jpeg

Doesn’t help when a so called City fan and a so called City reporter are happy to share this smear campaign
Of course the US-owned Athletic will be happy to continue pushing the narrative that white American ownership is good but brown Arab ownership is bad

View attachment 50467View attachment 50468
And some question why a lot of us think Sam lee's a shameless, clueless, useless ****?

The story makes outlandish claims that the East Manchester development involved selling off council-owned land cheaply but swathes of the area were not even owned by the council. Most of the site was literally worthless because of chemical pollution.
It also claims there is no evidence of the council getting any income. But tens of thousands of jobs and hundreds of new businesses (perhaps thousands of new businesses) have opened in the area, especially Ancoats. They would not be there if it wasn't for the East Manchester regeneration which was sparked by the partnership. The new arena is creating 3,444 construction jobs and at least 850 long-term jobs and will attract up to one million visitors a year to the city, most of whom will stay in local hotels.
The article is a disgrace. You can't criticise the land deal itself and not mention the huge benefits to Manchester over the last 10 years. I saw one report which said the success of MCFC in just one season (2018/19) brought benefits to the local economy of at least £220m. If that's true then the Sheikh Mansour partnership has brought billions to Manchester most of it from external investment and not public money.
Have only looked at exec summary but authors don't help themselves by use of "assumed values" rather than researched, comparable and validated. The use of sports washing and City washing terms does not convey the impression that you are reading an academic paper

This is the report I think...link to download is at the bottom of the page.

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/crafic/research/manchester-centripetal-city
Now I have read the whole report. It is comprehensive but very biased because it does not include any of the benefits brought into Manchester because of the regeneration which has happened. Its entire focus is on the income from housing and the so-called human rights record of Abu Dhabi (which as others have pointed out is much better than most other Middle East countries and places like China and the USA.)
I am certain that the whole focus of the council's involment in this deal from day one was not to provide housing income but to help regenerate the City of Manchester. That regeneration has been a staggering success which has been lauded across the world.
The only section of this report which would alarm me is the way most of the finances are apparently handled offshore which means that only a tiny amount of corporation tax is being paid by the Manchester Life Venture. No mention is made of council tax and business rate income though and this would presumably benefit the City Council directly.
It is a hatchet job. Without the investment from Sheikh Mansour Ancoats and surrounding area would still be a waste land and Beswick would still be dominated by disused industry and chemical pollution. I notice that the research has been funded by two quangos which are heavily funded by public money. Are the researchers arguing that the huge investment in East Manchester should have been paid for purely by the taxpayers and ratepayers?

Last edited:
I did a bit of digging and the hit-piece report was funded by the Economic and Social Research Council. So that means the report was paid for by taxpayer money to the tune of £458K. Nice one - we could have paid for nine coppers or nurses for a year the price of this one report.

‘orrible lot, those London-based snide journalists. Our council has done a lot wrong but the partnerships they have fostered to help develop and improve our city are to be admired and defended, not subject to Tax-payer funded hit-pieces.

The story makes outlandish claims that the East Manchester development involved selling off council-owned land cheaply but swathes of the area were not even owned by the council. Most of the site was literally worthless because of chemical pollution.
It also claims there is no evidence of the council getting any income. But tens of thousands of jobs and hundreds of new businesses (perhaps thousands of new businesses) have opened in the area, especially Ancoats. They would not be there if it wasn't for the East Manchester regeneration which was sparked by the partnership. The new arena is creating 3,444 construction jobs and at least 850 long-term jobs and will attract up to one million visitors a year to the city, most of whom will stay in local hotels.
The article is a disgrace. You can't criticise the land deal itself and not mention the huge benefits to Manchester over the last 10 years. I saw one report which said the success of MCFC in just one season (2018/19) brought benefits to the local economy of at least £220m. If that's true then the Sheikh Mansour partnership has brought billions to Manchester most of it from external investment and not public money.
All that might be true. But remember these people are not white and are therefore inherently nasty. Utterly irrelevant what they did. I hear over at United the Glaziers put £10 towards a new deep fat fryer at Lou Macari’s chippy so they need credit as well

Pair of cunts.
A pair of moronic financially illiterate cunts. Why are they promoting this toxic hate campaign against our club and our home city? The coverage is incredibly unbalanced, biased, and grossly unfair. Where are the balancing comments from the City Council and ADUG? Why has there been no mention of the thousands of jobs created and new business start-ups in Manchester. This really is an organised and clear hate campaign. How do they think the UK can survive without overseas investment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.