Mehdi Benatia

Whoscored ranks Benatia very highly - highest of any player on Roma and a good bit higher as a defender than Mangala.

All ratings like that are subjective, but I've always thought whoscored did a pretty good job evaluating defenders.

The more I read about this guy the more I hope this is real!

I have actually seen Mangala play a lot and think he is a great raw talent but prone to errors. If he's who we get I'll be happy too. He and Komps are effectively countrymen and I bet he would develop under Vinnie's tutelage (Managala is technically French, of course, but lived in Belgium most all of his life.)

Buying young players for big money is worth only if they are almost no risk of becoming world class players (Hazard for ex.).

Otherwise there's no point in it. Better buy young cheap players that are not over hyped yet and work on them while buying finished products for big money.

Saying that, I don't have idea how good Mangala is but I'm not big fan of paying that sort of money for 20 odd years old players. That's very risky strategy. Sometimes you buy established world class players for huge money and they don't work in new team (Torres for ex., or many down the years at Chelsea or Real Madrid and many other clubs..), so with 20-22 years old chance to drop a bollocks is even bigger.

MSP said:
Buying young players for big money is worth only if they are almost no risk of becoming world class players (Hazard for ex.).

Otherwise there's no point in it. Better buy young cheap players that are not over hyped yet and work on them while buying finished products for big money.

Saying that, I don't have idea how good Mangala is but I'm not big fan of paying that sort of money for 20 odd years old players. That's very risky strategy. Sometimes you buy established world class players for huge money and they don't work in new team (Torres for ex., or many down the years at Chelsea or Real Madrid and many other clubs..), so with 20-22 years old chance to drop a bollocks is even bigger.

That's what we've been doing & have ended up with Boateng, Savic & Nastasic, none of whom have been good enough & have been completely outplayed by veterans.

Perhaps it's time we tried to sign a young defender who is sought after & rated as a potential top player, & hopefully end up getting exactly what we paid for, rather than always trying to sneak one under the radar, signing a less rated player, paying less, & getting exactly what we paid for ?

Top defender who would fit in straight away with Vinny. Maybe offer to send them Nastasic for a season on loan so he can get playing regular again.

Would be comfortable going into next season with Vinny, Benatia, Demichelis and Rekik. With Fernando & Sagna also we will look a lot more solid next season.

Fancy we pull out a glamour signing too though, one of Fabregas, Di Maria or (dare I say) Isco.

MillionDollarDream said:
L'Equipe now reporting this news.
Doubtless someone will print a story he's going to psg soon then.;)
This would be a better signing than Mangala for me.

aguero93:20 said:
MillionDollarDream said:
L'Equipe now reporting this news.
Doubtless someone will print a story he's going to psg soon then.;)
This would be a better signing than Mangala for me.

More likely announced he has signed a new deal with Roma by the end of the week. If we are not actually in for him then we are just being used by his agent for hsi client to get a better deal at Roma. Tends to be the trend nowadays!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.