Memories of the Pink Final

Re: Re: Memories of the Pink Final

Prestwich_Blue said:
Clevers said:
I remember one report where it said

Colin Bell fired a long hard shit into the top corner of the net.
I remember it being something like "Colin Bell hit the bar with a rocket of a shit from 30 yards"
I've chuckled the whole day long, thinking about that first quote, and Prestwich reckons it's a misquote. Boo, hiss.

Folk used to queue up in the local newsagents for the Pink Final in the days when the shops shut at half six and supermarkets and petrol stations didn't sell papers at all.

If you didn't get one from the newsagents the pubs used to open at seven and you could buy one from the bloke that went round the pubs with them - happy days.

[/quote]When was the last Pink published Stuart, was it late nineties I hazard a guess?[/quote]

Sorry fella, wasn't ignoring you, I've just not been online for 24 hours or so.

The old Pink ceased publication in 2000. They started up the Sunday Pink for a while, hoping that would stem the loss of circulation, and that lasted until 2005.
Then everyone went mad, appalled that we had closed it down, although everyone who went mad about it also admitted they had stopped buying it!!
Killed by the internet, teletext and greater radio coverage

Used to love getting the pink on a saturday night as a kid, used to pick it up on the way home from Maine Road after home games and wait at the newsagent at 6ish after away games before I was allowed to away games.
Went downhill when they switched it to a Sunday and that was pretty much the death knell for the paper after that.

they must have had a delivery strategy that couldnt be rivalled today. Imagine all the newsagents across Manchester and we all got them at 6pm. A few minutes late just meant chatting more about the game. It also got you to know all the local teams, even to the point of seeing how Broughton Park had got on in the Rugby cos we walked past the ground to get to Maine Road.

The newsagents didn't mind it being a bit late as people used to buy sweets while they waited.

As I was on a straight 1d for going I was OK. Once I'd had my Penny Arrow or Quiz Bar I had nothing more to spend.

I remember the yellow and black striped van at the corner of the souvenir shop on matchdays. They'd proudly proclaim HALF TIME scores as people were leaving the game.

I remember "The late, late, goals" section too.

And I'd see the vans driving around with the middle sliding door open and a guy inside. Wouldn't get away with that now.

From where I lived in Blackley once I'd got the match bus to Aytoun Street then the 26 (later 166) bus home they'd be at the newsagents.

I think I had a letter published once or twice too. Can't remember what it was about though.

There was two sections about City and United "Maine Road Scene" and "Old Trafford View" I think they were called and they related the news of the week from the clubs.

Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
I won £15 on spot the ball for a 'near miss'.

Anybody remember the Football Green? Think it was the Evening Chron's version.

Thanks for that, I had a vague memory of the Green, but couldn't work out where it was from, I had forgotten the Evening Chronicle - how sad. Of course it disappeared when the News took over the Chron.

The main Pink memory I have is from 1968.

My dad went off to Newcastle and we all waited at home to see how City did and how United went on at home v Sunderland.

When City had won the league I went to the paper shop to buy 2 copies of the Pink, which had the simple headline 'City Champs'.

It was unlimited sweets, crisps and pop until my dad got home and a bit afterwards too.

My dad still has his copy of the Pink from that day.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.