Memories of the Pink Final

kippaxwarrior said:
bono said:
Ted knot ,one small mercy for no more pink

he still posts on the muen the grumpy bastard!!
what a waste he should be in charge ofReal madrid
only joking Ted ,if your lurking

Pictures of the crowd on the back page with circles around a few heads.

If you were circled you could claim a prize from the MEN.

Then in the early 70s they had a topless girl feature called Miss Pink. That was a bonus for a someone whose dad only ever bought the Daily Telegraph apart from the Pink.

The truck / bus thing at Maine Road situated near the souvenir shop... it contained a sort of a mobile printing press that produced the Pink (early edition) if I remember rightly. I never bought the paper as I was about 10 but my Dad explained it to me saying you could get the results and a half arsed match report almost straight after the game.

Sky TV and football no longer being an immovable 3pm Saturday fixture killed the football finals. A real shame.
They would have been some job to put together in such a short time, and they were essential reading in the pre-internet days.
Still remember gleefully running into the local newsagent as a teenager, straight from the 5-1 at Maine Road, and buying six copies of The Pink. The Irish fella who owned the shop was a United fan and he was speechless and near suicidal.
We cut the headlines and pictures out and plastered them all over the walls of The Springbank pub that evening.

Did'nt they have like a yellow trailer box with "manchester evening news" written on it outside the north stand after the game ? Glass windows with two guys selling the "Pink Final" through icecream van type windows or am i dreaming??

Uber Blues said:
Did'nt they have like a yellow trailer box with "manchester evening news" written on it outside the north stand after the game ? Glass windows with two guys selling the "Pink Final" through icecream van type windows or am i dreaming??

Yes I mentioned it 2 posts above. Like a massive horse box truck thing, I'm sure it contained a printing press.

Getting back to Piccadilly after a match at Maine Road and hoping like mad that The Pink had been delivered to the news stands. Am sure I can still remember the odd time waiting for the delivery van to arrive with it, but it was nearly always there within minutes.
Then reading the results and match reports on the train (wasn't a tram then) on the way back to Bury.
No mobile phones, iPhones or suchlike then but happy days all the same.
I was only 14 or so and used to travel on my own but loved every second.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.