Memories of the Pink Final

sandinista said:
My Uncle used to take me to City when I was a kid , and he`d book the coach to Maine Road from a newsagent in Duky . When we got back we used to hang around outside waiting for the Pink . Read it cover to cover back at my nans waiting for my dad to pick me up . Loved it .
I used to get that coach as well friend,

being sent to the papershop for it, bring it home for my dad to read and then my brother, if I was lucky I got to look at it before my mam used it to iron dad and brothers trousers (creases), if you havn't heard of this before ask your mums or granny's (no steam irons then)

bono said:
Ted knot ,one small mercy for no more pink
Add Mick the Red Fireman to that list!!

Just about my earliest memory of feeling good about a City win was when my Dad brought in the Pink and I read about Alex Harley scoring the winner at the Swamp in 1962.

I remember after one match the bloke next to me got his face circled and I was pig sick about it, he was a right miserable twat!

I remember as a kid growing up in Droylsden in the 70s some bloke came round our way Saturday teatime shouting "Fooootbaallll Final !"

All the dads sent their lads out with 10 bob to buy a copy of the Pink!

Happy days!

Was it Peter Gardner who used to report on City? double page spread every week without fail.

Any images of the paper anywhere?

On the results/fixtures page in the 98 season, noticed that the MUEN had carelessly omitted that years Charity Shield score on the rags page. Not surprising, as they'd been dicked 3-0 by Arsenal.

Told my mate who was like a dog with a bone. He phoned the sports desk up and demand they put the score in. At first they refused until he pointed out that they'd had it in when Utd had won it in previous seasons. At one stage he was after going down to the offices on Deansgate to have it out with the Editor!

In the end they caved in. Sure enough, the next Saturday it was there in all it's glory:

Utd 0 Arsenal 3 (Overmars 33', Wreh 56', Anelka 71').

Saturday routine as a kid:

1. Play football at ten-acre lane.

2. Purchase a shitload of sugar-drenched strawberry strips bought from the clubhouse.

3. Endure the stitch that those sweets inevitably caused while having a bath

4. Out of the bath, and listen to City on the radio with my brother.

5. Then off to the newsagents, with special permission from my mam because it was beyond the main road which I'm not usually allowed to cross, before buying the Pink to study the league table. Always kept one eye on Yeovil's results as a kid for no reason other than I was intrigued by their name.

Blue Punter said:
On the results/fixtures page in the 98 season, noticed that the MUEN had carelessly omitted that years Charity Shield score on the rags page. Not surprising, as they'd been dicked 3-0 by Arsenal.

Told my mate who was like a dog with a bone. He phoned the sports desk up and demand they put the score in. At first they refused until he pointed out that they'd had it in when Utd had won it in previous seasons. At one stage he was after going down to the offices on Deansgate to have it out with the Editor!

In the end they caved in. Sure enough, the next Saturday it was there in all it's glory:

Utd 0 Arsenal 3 (Overmars 33', Wreh 56', Anelka 71').
Lol!! Lovely story ;-)

Does anyone know why it was coloured Pink? I was always amazed when you came out after the match and it was ready to buy at the van, technology I suppose!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.