Mental Health in Manchester

As I may have posted, I may not, cant remember, I am involved with an Organisation called Health Innovation Manchester as part of the PPE (patient public engagement) team and we have been working on a new strategy for dealing with Mental Health across Greater Manchester. Since devolution of part of the Health budget, Manchester has control over a part of the overall budget and can use it to tackle problems that are relevant to the area ( the Tories can do some very good things when they want)

Here is some data taken from the Greater Manchester Mental Health and Wellbeing strategy (2016)

In Greater Manchester there are 3,981 people in contact with Mental services per 100,000 people compared to the national average of 2,176 and there is currently £615m per year spent in Greater Manchester on mental services.

It is a fact that poor mental health makes physical health worse, for each person with a long term condition it raises costs by 45% , 12%-18% of all NHS expenditure on long term conditions is linked to poor mental health. In Greater Manchester this amounts from around £420m to £1.08 billion each year and the wider economic cost to Greater Manchester of mental health is approx. £3.5 billion.

Research into mental health has not always focused on the issues that are relevant and we are aiming to change that so it reflects the problems that Greater Manchester and the people who live here face. We are working with the Greater Manchester Health and Social Care Partnership to try and ensure that the focus is on the people of Greater Manchester.

As part of this strategy review myself and others will be visiting various groups across the region to assess their views and we are holding a Mental Health Workshop in order to prioritise which areas the public feel need to be addressed. This covers a wide area and everything from psychosis to dementia, suicide and self harm to depression.

Anyway the reason for this post is that we have a short survey going live today, link below and it will be on twitter, linkedin and available in paper form and there is the availability of telephone interviews. I will post a link on here when it goes live. I urge anyone reading this and anyone who follows me on twitter @rascalmcfc to retweet it so we can get as large a response as possible so it more reflects the needs and desires of our own people. If anybody would like to take part in the workshop or do the survey please PM me in strictest confidence. There are a couple of spaces left at the workshop at the moment and you would be involved in setting the priorities for the whole of Greater Manchester.

This is really important work and could have a huge impact on the people we see struggling with mental issues and we are hoping some of the money raised by Vinny the other night comes our way so we can get some focus on the issues that the homeless in our city face every single day. We are hoping to visit a soup kitchen and see if we can make a difference.

I know I can be a **** on here at times and I would argue with myself if I could so please don't ignore this because it is me posting it and if you can retweet or just point out what is happening to a friend or a family member it would be really appreciated.

Cheers

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/DBHVNFJ
Done mate, don’t agree with a lot of things you post in the political threads but all the help that can be given tackling mental health is a must imo.
Depression in young males especially is something I’d love to see tackled better.

Done mate, don’t agree with a lot of things you post in the political threads but all the help that can be given tackling mental health is a must imo.
Depression in young males especially is something I’d love to see tackled better.

Cheers mate.

I agree, depression amongst young males is rising and is an area I hope the survey indicates needs more study and a greater focus.

Done and if there is anything else that I can help with let me know as I think it is a very difficult area to tackle especially with funding issues and the wide range of mental health issues. All the best with it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.