Mental Health in Manchester

Cheers my old mate :))

I am off to the Wellspring in Stockport today. Hopefully find out more about the issues affecting the homeless.
Good man ,
just thought I’d see what I’ve been missing for the last ten years , I shall disappear back to the world of twittoh forthwith

I am off to the Wellspring in Stockport today. Hopefully find out more about the issues affecting the homeless.

What an eye opening place to visit, they do fabulous work and have a committed team. I spoke with various people over the day and took part in a creative writing workshop that was being held there.

A common theme that kept cropping up time after time was the feeling of Isolation. A lot of the people who use the centre are not necessarily homeless, they are just lonely. I spoke with an old girl from Ancoats who gets the bus there every day just so she can find someone to talk to. As a place it is so welcoming and the camaraderie between them is very uplifting, its humanity at its best. These people have nothing, but they have each other and that shines through.

At first they were quite shy with us, they have real trust issues and I understand why, they get battered from pillar to post with little help and they are victims of the austerity cuts and the absolute mess of Universal Credit. They are not given a chance and they feel forgotten and stigmatised. A young girl, pregnant cant get any help to furnish a flat she has just got the keys to, she sleeps on the floor, she wants to work and be somebody but said to me, nobody cares anymore, they just want rid of us, all I want to do is be a good mum.

They all got a cooked dinner and a sweet, another lady said to me if it wasn't for here I would go hungry, I have had problems getting UC and I have no money. She was about 40. Others spoke of the difficulty in getting to interviews, they have to walk, one lad walked to the Airport for an interview as he had no bus fare.

The creative writing workshop was incredible, it was lead by an old guy, obviously well educated who had lost everything for a number of reasons. He gave his heart and soul to this little workshop and brought some joy to those who attended. A lad wrote the most amazing piece of poetry I have heard for years about life in prison and gangs. He had never done anything like it before but walked out 10 foot tall because we all acknowledged how good his writing was.

Speaking with my boss lady afterwards the general theme we got though was isolation, how hard it is for some to be lonely. How simple steps like giving a free bus pass could help so many get back on their feet. Another lady was 17 days free of drugs, off the streets and hopeful she has turned a corner, she needs help of course but is determined to do her best. A good looking lady too, maybe my age with a nice manner and she thanked us for doing what we are trying to do.

There was much more I could have posted but wont as it was personal and I believe those people deserve some anonymity. All I will say is it shocked me to my core.

I am angry though, I am angry at how our country can treat people like those I have spoken to today. I am angry that cunts like IDS create a system that doesn't help but hinders and punishes and I am angry that there is so much stigma aimed at those who are less fortunate than ourselves.

I am finding it mentally taxing, and it is, but my problems pale into insignificance compared to the problems these people face and I am now more determined than ever to try and get things right for those less fortunate than ourselves, They are not bad people, they have fallen on hard times and need a helping hand and a guiding light. Wellspring to there enormous credit do a fantastic job, but they are a small charity and much much more is needed

Please if you havent yet filled in the survey posted on the first page of the thread please do so and help make a difference. Our fellow Mancunians deserve better.

What an eye opening place to visit, they do fabulous work and have a committed team. I spoke with various people over the day and took part in a creative writing workshop that was being held there.

A common theme that kept cropping up time after time was the feeling of Isolation. A lot of the people who use the centre are not necessarily homeless, they are just lonely. I spoke with an old girl from Ancoats who gets the bus there every day just so she can find someone to talk to. As a place it is so welcoming and the camaraderie between them is very uplifting, its humanity at its best. These people have nothing, but they have each other and that shines through.

At first they were quite shy with us, they have real trust issues and I understand why, they get battered from pillar to post with little help and they are victims of the austerity cuts and the absolute mess of Universal Credit. They are not given a chance and they feel forgotten and stigmatised. A young girl, pregnant cant get any help to furnish a flat she has just got the keys to, she sleeps on the floor, she wants to work and be somebody but said to me, nobody cares anymore, they just want rid of us, all I want to do is be a good mum.

They all got a cooked dinner and a sweet, another lady said to me if it wasn't for here I would go hungry, I have had problems getting UC and I have no money. She was about 40. Others spoke of the difficulty in getting to interviews, they have to walk, one lad walked to the Airport for an interview as he had no bus fare.

The creative writing workshop was incredible, it was lead by an old guy, obviously well educated who had lost everything for a number of reasons. He gave his heart and soul to this little workshop and brought some joy to those who attended. A lad wrote the most amazing piece of poetry I have heard for years about life in prison and gangs. He had never done anything like it before but walked out 10 foot tall because we all acknowledged how good his writing was.

Speaking with my boss lady afterwards the general theme we got though was isolation, how hard it is for some to be lonely. How simple steps like giving a free bus pass could help so many get back on their feet. Another lady was 17 days free of drugs, off the streets and hopeful she has turned a corner, she needs help of course but is determined to do her best. A good looking lady too, maybe my age with a nice manner and she thanked us for doing what we are trying to do.

There was much more I could have posted but wont as it was personal and I believe those people deserve some anonymity. All I will say is it shocked me to my core.

I am angry though, I am angry at how our country can treat people like those I have spoken to today. I am angry that cunts like IDS create a system that doesn't help but hinders and punishes and I am angry that there is so much stigma aimed at those who are less fortunate than ourselves.

I am finding it mentally taxing, and it is, but my problems pale into insignificance compared to the problems these people face and I am now more determined than ever to try and get things right for those less fortunate than ourselves, They are not bad people, they have fallen on hard times and need a helping hand and a guiding light. Wellspring to there enormous credit do a fantastic job, but they are a small charity and much much more is needed

Please if you havent yet filled in the survey posted on the first page of the thread please do so and help make a difference. Our fellow Mancunians deserve better.
Sounds like a tough but uplifting experience today. I’m in the Midlands so not really qualified to fill in the survey but just wanted to say keep up the good work you are doing

Sounds like a tough but uplifting experience today. I’m in the Midlands so not really qualified to fill in the survey but just wanted to say keep up the good work you are doing

Fill it in by all means mate, if the model is successful in Manchester, it will get to the midlands in time. So your views are relevant.

Its National Mental health Day today.

Why don't you do your bit, answer the questionnaire and also take time out to ask somebody if they are feeling OK?

Done
Not sure if my input will have any help as i have no knowledge of mental health issues. this is the 3rd time i have clicked on the link to the survey the last 2 i backed out as i found the questions a bit hard to answer. Anyway best wishes in the good work you are doing.

Done
Not sure if my input will have any help as i have no knowledge of mental health issues. this is the 3rd time i have clicked on the link to the survey the last 2 i backed out as i found the questions a bit hard to answer. Anyway best wishes in the good work you are doing.

Thanks mate, no knowledge is needed, it gives us an idea where to focus and that generally is common sense and lived experiences

Of to Coffee for Craig again shortly to meet some long term homeless people who have suffered severe mental health issues. One of the Charity's case workers has arranged it for us. The case worker is an astounding human being, it was a pleasure to meet her last week and hear her own personal story. People like her should be treasured by society.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.