Mental Illness

johnny on the spot said:
gbillyblue said:
Gaylord du Bois said:
Serious question. Is Bi-polar disorder being diagnosed in number form now.
the whole thing is quite confusing really

I personally feel that BPD is used as a catch-all to describe a range of psychiatric, personality and emotional problems in people. On paper I'm designated Bipolar Type 1, due to the presence of identifiable manic (as opposed to Hypomanic) and depressive episodes. That said, I'm probably being treated using a different strategy to the next 4, 5 or 10 patients.

As gbilly says, it's extremely confusing for patients and families and much of my ability to understand my condition is enabled by talking to people with a similar diagnosis. But not everyone knows someone else with Bipolar Disorder. It's a very personal condition which erodes your trust in yourself, not to mention how much trust you can expect from those around you. Thus you become isolated and are easy prey for depression.

The best moment of my Bipolar 'career' was when my father-in-law took me to one side and said 'Look, I trust you and I know you're not batshit. Just always be honest with us'.
Faith and trust will carry the day for you mate. Your father-in-law sounds like he's willing to be there for you.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.