Messi compared to Maradona

You always get the odd person who claims they don’t rate messi (impossible to be true) simply for the shock factor. Normally it’s rags though with their unhealthy Ronaldo obsession. One friend of mine declared Messi was boring and predictable, completely stitched himself up when I pointed out, “he must be even better than I thought, everyone knows what he’s going to do but even then can’t stop him”

Never get the one club/league argument. People change that to suit an argument, it either adds to their greatness or in this case weirdly used against them. Even funnier when Messi has took the piss out of every club from every league in the champions league too. I agree on the international stage, that seems to be an Argentinian problem for years to be fair.
To be fair on the Ronaldo argument, he has done it in 3 different leagues and has been an outstanding player for his country.
I hate his ego with a passion, but over time have realised the guy talks the talk and walks the walk.
A physical freak and incredible player, who has reinvented himself as age has caught up with him.
The only question mark over the brilliance of Messi is the fact that as yet he has not done it in another league/country and his international career is poor considering his incredible ability.

Last edited:
You always get the odd person who claims they don’t rate messi (impossible to be true) simply for the shock factor. Normally it’s rags though with their unhealthy Ronaldo obsession. One friend of mine declared Messi was boring and predictable, completely stitched himself up when I pointed out, “he must be even better than I thought, everyone knows what he’s going to do but even then can’t stop him”

Never get the one club/league argument. People change that to suit an argument, it either adds to their greatness or in this case weirdly used against them. Even funnier when Messi has took the piss out of every club from every league in the champions league too. I agree on the international stage, that seems to be an Argentinian problem for years to be fair.

I highly rate messi and the thread title or topic wasn't messi isn't rated as one of the best there has ever been.

But as my OP I don't rate him better than Maradona

If that one foot is as good as Maradona’s you don’t really need the other tbf
I’m not sure I agree. There are bound to be instances in a game where a second foot that isn’t basically for standing on is surely preferable.

That doesn’t mean Maradona wouldn’t be in my all time XI though. He’d be impossible to leave out, notwithstanding my previous comments.

I’m a middle aged guy so for me harking nostalgically back to my youth I’m bound to favour maradona. I think the game back then was much harder for attacking players to thrive in - would Messi have done quite so well with the butcher of Bilbao and a hundred other defensive thugs hacking away at his slight frame - and this allied to Maradona’s truly amazing successes with Napoli and a very average national team seals the argument for me.

His left foot and his balance were so exquisite that he invariably didn’t need his right foot but his little jinking run and delicate through ball to Cannigia against Brazil in the WC shows his right foot wasn’t so bad when called on.

Your point about consistency may be valid and you may have seen lots more of him than I did but back then we didn’t have access to live coverage of every game in Spain and Italy like we do now and in any case it’s easier to be consistent when surrounded by superstars as Messi has been throughout his career.

Both are geniuses though. I’ve only seen highlights of Pele and Cruyff so it’s hard to judge who was the greatest ever. One thing’s for sure though - Ronaldo isn’t in their class, it’s almost an insult to them to mention him in the same breath.
You make some great points there mate, but I can’t agree with you about Ronaldo who would also have to make the cut for my all time XI.

To be fair on the Ronaldo argument, he has done it in 3 different leagues and has been an outstanding player for his country.
I hate his ego with a passion, but over time have realised the guy talks the talk and walks the walk.
A physical freak and incredible player, who has reinvented himself as age has caught up with him.
The only question mark over the brilliance of Messi is the fact that as yet he had not done it in another league/country and his international career is poor considering his incredible ability.

Couldn't agree with you more mate.
Ronaldo is machine he changes withe the times age and team got to admire the jumped up one trick pony ; )

You make some great points there mate, but I can’t agree with you about Ronaldo who would also have to make the cut for my all time XI.
No doubt Ronaldo is one of the all time great goal scorers and if we were picking an all time world XI he’d be a strong contender for the centre forward berth (Van Basten would get my nod) but as a pure footballer, a man with the ability to do anything he likes with the ball, I don’t think he comes close to the true geniuses. He’s more like a well polished super fast Steve Bull

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.