Messi, La Liga and the Prem

A lot of players get over rated, this isn't one of them. the best player for ages, maybe ever if he keeps going. Not just a goal a game but a crap load of assists too. Gets up and gets on with the game despite rough treatment, always plays with a smile and freedom.

Football generally keeps getting better over time, tactics, fitness etc. This kid makes most look Sunday league, don't slag the defenders, he just is that good.

Some very Anglocentric views here. If Barca were to play in the prem, they'd win it or come very close. Messi is on another planet.

Dax777 said:
For all the "Messi can't do it in the Prem folks" Just watch this video below. That is Messi vs. Chelsea in 2006. At the time Chelsea was the biggest and meanest team in the league. They bullied the EPL Bullies. This was the Chelsea that struck fear in Arsenal totenham and the like with the toughest Mids and defenders in the business.

Just watch the video, there were at least 4 red card offenses (that would be easily called today) and at least 3 more yellows. Not to mention a Red card penalty on Terry. All on Messi.

But most importantly,
1) pay attention to Messi's reactions to the disgraceful hacking display by chelsea (No reaction at all. He is completely oblivious to it- i.e. He is used to it)
2) Pay attention to who got tired first. Notice Chelsea start backing off after a while in the video when they realized this guy wasing fading. And it wasn't just his dribbling that will kill you, but his pinpoint passing and movement.
4) Watch Makalele the best DM ever sucking air trying to cover his movement off the ball
5) Watch Ferreira looking dejected having been run ragged by the little fella
6) Look into the eyes of the CHelsea players in the last clip of the video, there is a sense of relief that it is over (inspite of losing at home). They are shocked at what just hit them. Teams in the Prem will feel this way the first time they see Messi and Barca. It will shock your sensibilities. That look in Terry and Ferreira's eyes are exactly what was in Ozil and Dimaria's after they met Barca for the first time. No one realizes how much better than they are this team is. The score, possession, or watching them doesn't tell you. Playing them is always a shocker.

But enjoy Messi putting perhaps the toughest team in the Prem through the wringer.
You raise good points but I'm just going to say, wait until City inevitably draw Barca in a CL knockout and when you have to watch your players getting increasingly infuriated by their incessant cheating to boiling point, all ending in an atrocious red card and penalty knocking you out, your position will change. Every time we've met Barca in the CL its happened to us without fail. It happened to Inter last season but Jose managed to hold it, it happened to Arsenal again this season and it happened to RM this season. Its the talisman of the Barcelona winning formula.

Castiel said:
Dax777 said:
For all the "Messi can't do it in the Prem folks" Just watch this video below. That is Messi vs. Chelsea in 2006. At the time Chelsea was the biggest and meanest team in the league. They bullied the EPL Bullies. This was the Chelsea that struck fear in Arsenal totenham and the like with the toughest Mids and defenders in the business.

Just watch the video, there were at least 4 red card offenses (that would be easily called today) and at least 3 more yellows. Not to mention a Red card penalty on Terry. All on Messi.

But most importantly,
1) pay attention to Messi's reactions to the disgraceful hacking display by chelsea (No reaction at all. He is completely oblivious to it- i.e. He is used to it)
2) Pay attention to who got tired first. Notice Chelsea start backing off after a while in the video when they realized this guy wasing fading. And it wasn't just his dribbling that will kill you, but his pinpoint passing and movement.
4) Watch Makalele the best DM ever sucking air trying to cover his movement off the ball
5) Watch Ferreira looking dejected having been run ragged by the little fella
6) Look into the eyes of the CHelsea players in the last clip of the video, there is a sense of relief that it is over (inspite of losing at home). They are shocked at what just hit them. Teams in the Prem will feel this way the first time they see Messi and Barca. It will shock your sensibilities. That look in Terry and Ferreira's eyes are exactly what was in Ozil and Dimaria's after they met Barca for the first time. No one realizes how much better than they are this team is. The score, possession, or watching them doesn't tell you. Playing them is always a shocker.

But enjoy Messi putting perhaps the toughest team in the Prem through the wringer.
You raise good points but I'm just going to say, wait until City inevitably draw Barca in a CL knockout and when you have to watch your players getting increasingly infuriated by their incessant cheating to boiling point, all ending in an atrocious red card and penalty knocking you out, your position will change. Every time we've met Barca in the CL its happened to us without fail. It happened to Inter last season but Jose managed to hold it, it happened to Arsenal again this season and it happened to RM this season. Its the talisman of the Barcelona winning formula.

I think having the best player in the world, 70% possession every game, and one of the hardest working teams off the ball might be a little bit more important than rolling around a couple of times because of rough treatment.

Are you people really this thick? Do you not think he gets kicked in La Liga?

Teams have done everything to try and stop this guy and they can't, he's just that good.

Johnny_on said:
I think having the best player in the world, 70% possession every game, and one of the hardest working teams off the ball might be a little bit more important than rolling around a couple of times because of rough treatment.
I'm sorry but I don't buy it. Nobody can argue their technical ability and the individual talent they have, but last night was just another example of their solution to a defence they can't break down. Cheat, instigate retaliation, infuriate the opposition and force errors until the reff caves.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-OMZyuFEOw&feature=player_embedded" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-OMZyuF ... r_embedded</a>

Case in point, Alves didn't even get hit and the ball was played. I'm no fan of RM, in many ways they're just as bad and its not a great corner for me to fight when presenting this argument - but don't blind yourself to the truth of that despicable side because when you have to deal with it in the CL it'll hit you like a truck.

Watch it happen to Man United in the final, though I'll enjoy watching it.

English fans are truly deluded. Barca destroyed Arsenal. Real destroyed Spurs. Barca destroyed Real. What makes you think the likes of Wigan, West Ham and Newcastle will pose a problem for Messi?

Was just checking and Messi has scored 36 european goals and is 23

The highest European goalscorer ever is Raul with 71 so looks like Messi will get another record to go with his unbelievable scoring

Although im sure someone on here will argue that he isnt that good because he would be shit against Wigan. We all know the Champions League teams have the shittest defenders on the planet

Tricky Dickys Right Foot Shot said:
dref619 said:
he'd never score that many over here, english teams can defend

Exactly fuckin' spot on. I have watched many Spanish games this season and the defending is poor at least.

In the Bundesliga or Premier League, I think Messi would suffer countless injuries not entirely from bad fouls but little niggly ones that left him sore, even against the teams that "don't play football" like Blackburn ect... because these teams will defend and let you know that they are there.

Messi's second goal (as good as it was) watch it again and all he does is run in a straight line whilst the Madrid defence are scared of putting a foot in Vinnie would of just slid the bastard (along with the ball) but because its Messi he (Vinnie) would probably get sent off and a penalty would be given, but if it were Mario or Nani or Torres they would get booked for diving.

Are you sure?

1 goal v Werder Bremen away (2006)
1 goal v Stuttgart away (2007)
2 goals v Bayern Munich home (2008)
1 goal v Manchester United final (2008)
2 goals v Stuttgart home (2010)
4 goals v Arsenal home (2010)
2 goals v Arsenal home (2011)

He is a genius. End of.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.