Middle East Conflict (merged) | Iran launch missile attack after Israel invade Lebanon

Is he listening?

I guess a lot of people grew up sympathetic to Israel, not least because of the Holocaust. I had a friend who in her teens went to work in a kibbutz and came back enthusiastic, and we were sympathetic. I didn't know enough then to ask on whose land it was or where they got water.

Having heard the Palestinians' argument, I was sympathetic to them.

Israeli policy now is not likely to engender any more sympathy.

I suppose my premise is unless we can hear the other side of the argument we will never understand where they are coming from. That’s obviously not the same as agreeing with them or being sympathetic to their plight.

However we can’t ignore that a large swath of Israeli’s / Jewish folk think this is the right thing to do.

For the first time as an Israeli after and since the establishment of the state,
The state made a decision to be the aggressor and not the responder, the whole world will understand that the people of Israel are not messing around anymore, the decision has finally been made
And there is no way back
-at last we conduct themselves as they should conduct themselves in the Middle East, I have no doubt that they are the bad guys who so badly want to banish us to hell, they will realize this time that they can forget forever about their despicable idea
And how many mothers will lose sons how many children will lose fathers there ain’t no victory for any one just more death and resentment

As I said, what would you do if Israel decided to bomb Manchester or London? Would you agree that well urban warfare is destructive and the obliteration of British civilians and cities is a necessary evil to root out terrorists?

This isn't how you achieve peace and security let's put it at that. If it happened to me then you'd absolutely expect a fight in return, and here we are on the brink of major war in the Middle East.

Israel could actually get instant peace and security by initiating peace talks with the Palestinian authorities, Hamas would then be neutralised. Netanyahu however doesn't want this because he doesn't want a Palestinian state!

I totally agree Israel reserve the right to self-defence but that should be within their borders, or at least to contain threats to their borders. Bombing Beirut doesn't fit in with that.
I understand the Israeli concern for security. A peace deal (two-state solution or whatever) could not guarantee that every Palestinian (now with plenty of cause to hate Israel) would abide by such a deal - just as there was no guarantee that every Israeli would abide by such a deal (cue the assassination of an Israeli PM by an Israeli Jew). Netanyahu would be among the dissenters.

But if they don't do a deal - with the attendant risk of ongoing terrorism, from Palestinians opposed to the deal, or their own dissenters - then they will always face resistance, which will involve attacks on Israelis (which will be called terrorism - and even atrocities). The only other option is the eradication of Palestinian resistance and, as has been pointed out, if it's not genocide then the Israeli extremists are using genocidal language.

October 7th would likely have happened if Netanyahu had been deposed (or jailed). If it had happened under a less extremist government, Netanyahu would have blamed weakness of his opponents for (a) not knowing about it and (b) not preventing it.

It's been a horrid year. Let's hope it doesn't get a lot worse. It's Jewish New Year, so shahna tovah.

Just watched the documentary on iplayer from the music festival on the 7 th October hamas attack . Horrific watch and the events of that day and the subsequent fallout will create generations of people from both sides , with pure hate and wanting destruction and death as we see today . Most poor bastards want to just live peacefully but will never have the opportunity, due to a sizeable minority which will get bigger as more atrocities happen . Again from both sides .

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.