Middle East Conflict

"Hamas are recognised as a terrorist organisation by many nations, including the UK". Because the BBC refuse to directly call Hamas terrorists, Clive Myrie has to repeat this mantra at the start of every news broadcast.
What a pathetic fudge!

That’s not a fudge, that’s what a news organisation with people on the ground in Gaza risking their lives to report on what’s happening would say in order to be viewed as impartial as much as possible by both of the main actors in the conflict in order for them to report to their best ability. It’s an entirely factual statement that neither Hamas or Israel would dispute, which is also why other news organisations with people reporting there on the conflict do similar.

This idea of them having to call them out as terrorists is driven by morons on Twitter that seem to want the bbc to turn fully into a government mouthpiece rather than an independent public state broadcaster who is respected and broadcasted internationally. It’s also them wanting the BBC to treat the viewers as if they’re morons too.

To take a parallel with the Russia Ukraine war, there’s a reason Steve Rosenberg is able to still be in Moscow getting the interviews he does with the top leadership in Russia and Belarus and is allowed to report critically on it. It’s far more insightful and treats the viewer with respect that they can formulate their own opinion based on it rather than completely spoon feeding what they should think to them, which I’ll always strongly argue is one of the foundations of actual decent reporting journalism.

Last edited:
That’s not a fudge, that’s what a news organisation with people on the ground in Gaza risking their lives to report on what’s happening would say in order to be viewed as impartial as much as possible by both of the main actors in the conflict in order for them to report to their best ability. It’s an entirely factual statement that neither Hamas or Israel would dispute, which is also why other news organisations with people reporting there on the conflict do similar.

This idea of them having to call them out as terrorists is driven by morons on Twitter that seem to want the bbc to turn fully into a government mouthpiece rather than an independent public state broadcaster who is respected and broadcasted internationally. It’s also them wanting the BBC to treat the viewers as if they’re morons too.

To take a parallel with the Russia Ukraine war, there’s a reason Steve Rosenberg is able to still be in Moscow getting the interviews he does with the top leadership in Russia and Belarus and is allowed to report critically on it. It’s far more insightful and treats the viewer with respect that they can formulate their own opinion based on it rather than completely spoon feeding what they should think to them, which I’ll always strongly argue is one of the foundations of actual decent reporting journalism.

To be fair you've called a lot of people morons but haven't conceded that Hamas are a terrorist organisation.

It would be perfectly acceptable for the BBC to mention that wouldn't it?

To be fair you've called a lot of people morons but haven't conceded that Hamas are a terrorist organisation.

It would be perfectly acceptable for the BBC to mention that wouldn't it?

Not that many people , I just called people on twitter making that point morons, I said they want to treat everyone else as if they’re morons too :)

Not sure I get the question though, the bbc do say that the UK government consider them a terrorist organisation. Or are you saying that they should just say it without that caveat, in which case I think I already answered why they don’t in that post?

Not that many people , I just called people on twitter making that point morons, I said they want to treat everyone else as if they’re morons too :)

Not sure I get the question though, the bbc do say that the UK government consider them a terrorist organisation. Or are you saying that they should just say it without that caveat, in which case I think I already answered why they don’t in that post?

Well the BBC had no problem calling ISIS terrorists or ETA and even the IRA.

It does look a bit suss here mate.

Mexico doesn’t do Twitter. It’s just a coincidence that all his posts mirror what is being said on there each day.

Think he uses Schrodinger’s Twitter.

If this conflict was about religion you’d have a point, but it’s an ethnic conflict about land , prior to the 80d most Palestinian groups were very left wing and totally non religious, the Islamic stuff only came about after the Americans created it as a foil against the Soviets
It was a general comment on the human propensity to create conflict wherever we go.
It seems hardwired into us.
I wasn't particularly commenting with the intricacies of this current conflict in mind.

Well the BBC had no problem calling ISIS terrorists or ETA and even the IRA.

It does look a bit suss here mate.

They did the IRA, Thatcher flooded their board of governors to try and change it. Couldn’t comment on the other two though.

Either way though, that doesn’t change my point on why they do it and it’s validity. I’ll reiterate again the Steve Rosenberg example - who else has access to foreign leaders in a conflict and is still able to report so critically on them? That’s a very very good thing for anyone trying to think objectively.

Edit to that, looking into it more, their reporting was consistent on it. Where did you get they had no problem reporting them as terrorists from, they referred to them both as militant groups?

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.