Milner [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lomas has a lob on said:
Taylor said:
Forgive me if I'm wrong Martin O'Neill said he thinks it will be resolved by Sunday not that we will be signing him by then.
I just saw O'neill on SSN doing a presser and his words were "I didn't play James tonight, primarily because it looks as though something maybe happening regarding the transfer, I thought it was best all round to leave him out, he has had a few back niggles but that isn't the main reason for him not playing, we should all hear something in the next few days". Make of that what you will.
What i make of that is that it's as good as done. And i for one am very, very happy. Great signing. I am not worse off financially as a direct result of this deal, so i don't give a fuck about the price. Welcome to Manchester.<br /><br />-- Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:44 pm --<br /><br />
glen quagmire said:
Tricky_Trev said:
Can't wait to see Milner in a City shirt. Watching Barry's career winding to a sorry end really makes you appreciate just how much we need this guy. Then there's the added benefit of him being able to cover on either flank.

There is a clear place for Milner in our side, imo. Watching Yaya, it's obvious he doesn't do that much off the ball. It's not really his game. He doesn't put that many challenges in and it's quite easy to pass through him. He's all about what he does on the ball, through his ball retention, vision and intelligent passing. This therefore puts extra workload and pressure on the other central midfielder(s) to do some dirty work. Barry is simply incapable of doing it. He looks finished. With Kolarov bombing forward, we'll need someone with the endurance, discipline and work rate to constanly plug the gap left by Kolarov thus preventing an opposition counter-attack, whilst then getting themselves back into a reasonably offensive position. This is Milner. He never ever stops running. Just ask Villa fans. You could be 3-0 up with 30 seconds left to play and Milner will still be chasing lost causes and working his bollocks off. We need that in our midfield, at Barry's expense.

But there's more. The beauty is that when on the ball, although he doesn't have the guile of Silva or the trickery of Adam Johnson, Milner sure knows how to create. Just because he's not a fancy-dan kind of player does not mean he isn't creative. He'll also chip in with a decent amount of goals himself. He has a great overall game and i don't see why anyone wouldn't want him. I'd go as far as saying we NEED him.

Trev, who get's benched for milner?
Barry.

Article from the Mail tonight, pretty much backs up the MON quotes about Milner nearly out, but also talking about Khaldoon flying over in the morning to seal the deals:

"James Milner was dramatically left out of Aston Villa's squad on Friday night as his £26million transfer to Manchester City neared completion.

The England midfielder was scheduled to be part of Martin O'Neill's side that drew 0-0 with Valencia in a friendly at Villa Park but was withdrawn at the 11th hour as City closed in on a deal to take their summer spending through the £100m barrier.
James Milner

On his way: James Milner looks set to complete his £26m move to Manchester City

O'Neill claimed Milner had been pulled out of the line-up because of a recurrence of a slight back injury, but he did admit: 'He is not here tonight. Something could be happening.'

City chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak is due to fly into Manchester on Saturday morning to seal the signings of Milner and Inter Milan's £24m-rated teenager Mario Balotelli.

He intends to sign Milner first in a deal worth £26m, with Villa receiving £18m in cash and City midfielder Stephen Ireland, who is valued at £8m. Villa had demanded £30m but believe Ireland could prove a bargain.

City and Inter are haggling over a fee for Balotelli, and manager Roberto Mancini said yesterday: 'Milner is like Balotelli. We are close. We are speaking. Probably Milner is closer than Balotelli.
Khaldoon Al Mubarak

Money man: City Chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak

'We want to buy Balotelli at the right price. We are close, but we have time. When we want to buy a player the price is not normal, but we want to improve quickly and to do this we must often buy players that will cost more than normal.'

Mancini insisted he has no fears over Balotelli's reputation as a difficult character. Asked whether he expected to find Balotelli troublesome, Mancini joked that the teenager's disruptive streak is nothing on City players Craig Bellamy and Carlos Tevez.

He said: 'I work with Bellamy and Tevez so it's easy (to work with Balotelli).'

Mancini hinted Bellamy, a long-term Tottenham target, and Roque Santa Cruz will be allowed to leave before the end of the transfer window. The City manager will also seek a meeting with record signing Robinho.

He said: 'We have to pick 25 players and we have 31. Some will have to stay off the list.'

City have already signed David Silva (£24m from Valencia), Yaya Toure (£28m from Barcelona), Aleksandar Kolarov (£16m from Lazio) and Jerome Boateng (£11m from Hamburg) this summer.

Read more: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1301024/Get-James-Milner-Manchester-City-chairman-flies-push-deal-Aston-Villa-star.html#ixzz0vruWkZoI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z0vruWkZoI</a>

I personally can't wait to see Milner in City blue!

10.Goater_Legend said:
Looks like a done deal then. I'll get behind once he's in a City shirt like I will to any player in our wonderful clubs colours, but i'm going to be fucking gutted at loosing Stevie.
I'll be sad to see Ireland go IF he does leave, likewise I'll be delighted with Milner, I just hope people remember Irelands departure isn't Milners fault.

I'd be absolutely devastated on a football level if Stevie Ireland is allowed to go, he's as good as any midfielder in the Premiership on form. If we're going to play a midfield diamond I don't see why we can't play Ireland and Milner either side of Yaya Toure, with Silva in the hole behind the two strikers. The energy, pace, athletism and class in that midfield would be incredible.

Tricky_Trev said:
Lomas has a lob on said:
I just saw O'neill on SSN doing a presser and his words were "I didn't play James tonight, primarily because it looks as though something maybe happening regarding the transfer, I thought it was best all round to leave him out, he has had a few back niggles but that isn't the main reason for him not playing, we should all hear something in the next few days". Make of that what you will.
What i make of that is that it's as good as done. And i for one am very, very happy. Great signing. I am not worse off financially as a direct result of this deal, so i don't give a fuck about the price. Welcome to Manchester.

-- Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:44 pm --

glen quagmire said:
Trev, who get's benched for milner?
Barry.

Trev, won't barry get benched for big nige?

foley87 said:
everyone ask themselves this

would milner of walked back as paul scholes got his head on a ball in the 93rd minute of the most important manchester league derby in 30years

no. thought not
Don't remind me. Took me ages to watch that video and I couldn't believe it when I finally saw it. But don't crucify players for mistakes.

fatbloke said:
I'd be absolutely devastated on a football level if Stevie Ireland is allowed to go, he's as good as any midfielder in the Premiership on form. If we're going to play a midfield diamond I don't see why we can't play Ireland and Milner either side of Yaya Toure, with Silva in the hole behind the two strikers. The energy, pace, athletism and class in that midfield would be incredible.
Because Yaya Toure does not tackle. He's not a ball winner. He's a ball distributer.

Our best diamond would be:

.......................Silva.......................

...........Milner................Yaya...........

.....................De Jong....................

Chick Counterfly said:
10.Goater_Legend said:
Laughable, what has Milner ever done prior to 2009/10 works both ways.

fwiw I reckon Milner's best season wasn't as good as Ireland's, but he's clearly got several very good campaigns under his belt now.

The real story isn't in the figures. it's that Milner started off as a slightly tricky winger with good delivery, and has added flexibility, immense staying power and real hard work to his game. Personally, I really like his courage and intelligence, he has strong willpower and knows how to help his team-mates through difficult periods.

Ireland rapidly began to add more to his game last year, what hurt was that it all stopped just as quickly. If I'm upset with him it's only because I not only believed in his talent, but I thought he was going to be a poster-boy for the self-help crew, the man who took himself by the scruff of the neck, demanded more, and in the process became an awesome all round midfielder. We'll probably never know now, he will go to Villa, go back to being a good, but not great, play maker. It's his career, his life, he's free to become whatever he wants, if that's the career he's always dreamed of, good luck to him.

There are very few number 10 central playmakers in the modern game. It's more common for them to fill wide positions, or to play from deeper. That goes for players as talented as Iniesta, Xavi. To justify being picked as a classic number ten at the very top level, IMO you need to be surreally talented, in the top 0.5% of technical players. Ireland is a peg and a bit below this, he could make it at the highest level if he applied all of his faculties to the general midfield work, if he offered concentration, dilligence, stamina, flexibility and could create out wide, or influence play in his own half. My honest judgement tho is that he won't be the best in europe on the back of his touch and passing alone, it's just not that good. He might be able to make it work for a team like Villa tho, and if that's what he wants I wish him good luck.

having said all that, as much of an admirer of Milner as I am, 20m+ Ireland would be completely unacceptable. I'm pretty sure however the club will see it that way too, so don't worry about it so much.
All very interesting points mate, and i'm sure Milner given a run in our side, probably at the expense of Gareth Barry in central midfield, could be a quality player for us. Then again I also think Ireland could be just as good, if not better.

The part i've highlighted is my whole point, if we were talking £8m + Ireland or just £18m on it's on, fair enough do the deal, but what's being talked about at the moment is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.