minimum wage

How the hell can you live on 5.93 pound per hour?,just had a look at the mimimum wage here,$15.00 AD per hour (thats just under 10 pound per hour) and they woman about that here.

brooklandsblue2.0 said:
If you are over 16-18 and you are on it you really have problems.

not really mate, Getting work is dog eat dog in places, minimum wage is better than no wage. If everyone had a 'not working for mimimum wage' attitude, it could end is disaster.

Or the employers pay more :/

pominoz said:
How the hell can you live on 5.93 pound per hour?,just had a look at the mimimum wage here,$15.00 AD per hour (thats just under 10 pound per hour) and they woman about that here.

Have to consider cost of living mate. how much is a beer in your local. $7-9 thats about 4-5quid. You wouldnt dream of paying in that in your english local.
House rent $300-400 per week. Compared to 400-600quid per month.
It all equals out

Any company leaders that say they can't afford to pay minimum wage should sod off and do something else instead as they are obviously shit at it.

pominoz said:

Me and my family do , we get working and child tax credits on top.

The Goverment calculate a family of 4 should take home @ £305 a week , if we increased our minimum wage to £10 an hour it would work out the same.

So for me the question should be , should the employer ensure your wage or the Goverment?

If , for instance , a multi - national like Tesco paid minimum wage , they should be made to pay £10 an hour , this would cut out the admin costs of Tax Credits.

But if we were forced to pay the pesky workers more there would be less for the managers bonus payments and shareholders dividends, certainly not what the tories would want.

bluemoon32 said:
Any company leaders that say they can't afford to pay minimum wage should sod off and do something else instead as they are obviously shit at it.

^ I agree fully with this.

It never ceased to amaze me before it came in the number of Chief Executives of FTSE 100 companies (Rentokil is one that springs to mind) who claimed that it would make their companies uncompetitive, as if that was any form of justification or argument against its implementation. I imagine the same tired old cliches were trotted out when the Victorians decided sending children up chimneys might be unacceptable.

Post- industrial history is littered with a enduring running battle between the forces of capital and labour and in spite of my view that overall capitalism has been a positive force for most people in this country that is only because of things like the Health and Safety at Work Act, The Employment Right Act and the minimum wage have helped moderate its more brutal effects. I also think it was the last Labour government's best legacy to the people of this country.

I think the odds on it being repealed are somewhere between nil and zero and anyone who thinks it will happen seriously misunderstands how untouchable it has become. Say what you will about David Cameron but I'm sure he knows that any attempt to abolish the minimum wage would alienate the middle ground of the electorate that he needs as much as Tony Blair did and would prove, therefore, to be electoral suicide.

gordondaviesmoustache said:
bluemoon32 said:

^ I agree fully with this.

It never ceased to amaze me before it came in the number of Chief Executives of FTSE 100 companies (Rentokil is one that springs to mind) who claimed that it would make their companies uncompetitive,

Indeed, poor payers.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.