Minute Silence at Anfield?

Please correct me if my memory is playing tricks but I'm sure it was live on TV. I can remember sitting watching it unfold, I can remember the people at the front begging the police to do something. The upper tier pulling people up and when the fence was finally open the fans using hoarding, anything they could to stretcher the people away. Many questions require an answer,but lets not forget the heroes on the day.

fishwick said:
Please correct me if my memory is playing tricks but I'm sure it was live on TV. I can remember sitting watching it unfold, I can remember the people at the front begging the police to do something. The upper tier pulling people up and when the fence was finally open the fans using hoarding, anything they could to stretcher the people away. Many questions require an answer,but lets not forget the heroes on the day.

The game itself wasn't live on TV but it was being filmed by BBC for MotD that night. Grandstand went over when the game was stopped and it became clear that there was a huge breaking news story, covering events over the next couple of hours live.

As a city fan not many threads on here leave me speechless.

May I ask some of the guys who say the scousers were to blame, have you read Phil Scratons 'The Truth', or going on common myth and fact?

What caused that disaster was police organisation, ineptude and how they viewed the crowd as all being potential hooligans

Yes, one or two may have tried to bunk in, but not to the scale as to cause 96 deaths

uwerosler28 said:
if the all stook to the rules of people with tickets can enter the ground and those without cant they would have been fine , a tradegy what happened but a self inflicted one .

Wrong wrong wrong.
The two centre pens were rammed, the two outer pens were half full. Had the fans been directed into the outer pens rather than allowed to feed into the two centre pens, the disaster would not have happened.
Poor stewarding / policing / fans penned in on three sides in four pens in a stadium not fit to hold the game. That was the cause.

Crushed to Death - Leppings Lane, Hillsborough, Sheffield
"that everything would be done to prevent a future occurrence"
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.chrishobbs.com/crushedtodeath1934.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.chrishobbs.com/crushedtodeath1934.htm</a>
Anyone who ever stood in that end the scoreboard at the swamp etc will know what happened was just a matter of time.

Kakhaber Tskhadadze K.O.T.A. said:
EddieR said:
Well, you tell me where the blame lies for those kids crushed to death. Had the police done their job properly the tragedy would never have occured. The crowd cannot be regarded as being responsible for the mayhem which ensued, and any attempt to try to deflect blame is both disingenuous and malicious.

That's like saying the Liverpool fans that ran at the Juventus fans at Hysel were not to blame because the police should have stopped them. So tell me Eddie who was to blame at Hysel ?

Yes there was a huge element of police culpability at Hillsborough..... but those fans that came late, without tickets and pushed from the back also have to accept some blame.

Heysel......... the stadium was not fit for the purpose and should never have been chosen by UEFA.
Liverpool fans were put in one end and Juventus in the other. The UEFA allowed tickets to go on open sale at the stadium in Belguim on the days leading up to the game. This was for the section directly next to the Liverpool fans. The locals snapped them up and flogged them to Juve fans on the black market, making a mockery of segregation.
Of course, you could say they still shouldnt have fought...... but the two sets of fans should NOT have been allowed to stand next to each other with very little stewarding / fencing etc. UEFA completely and utterly failed over the Heysel disaster.

Hillsborough..... a lot of fans arrived late because their coaches were held up just off the motorway and then after a long wait, all brought into the city together. Fans then rushed to the ground. The entrance to the away end was unlike most others in the league, where it was in an enclosed area, surrounded by three walls - unlike say at the Kippax which was one long continuos wall with the turnstiles built into the wall. Leppings Lane had the turnstiles in an enclosed section. That itself became a bottle neck resulting in the gate being opened to relieve the crushing. That then paved the way for what eventually happened inside the ground :(

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.