Missing out on Champions League.

TheThirdDeano

I've been thinking, something I don't particularly enjoy doing, a lot recently and I honestly don't think that missing out on the Champions League would be as bad as some of our local Nostrodamus' seem to think it would be.

1)Money
Perhaps the biggest reason we seek to compete is the money that comes with it. But let's face it, we have the richest owners in sport and I'm sure it'd be but a small hindernance. Besides its not like it will affect us till next summer, if anything it'll just push us to spend even bigger this summer to give us maximum time to rebuild and integrate before taking it on again.

2)Player Attraction.
It has been claimed that if we don't get CL football we will struggle to attract the biggest names in football. Our response to this should be 'Fuck them' if a player turns down a club for the sole reason that they aren't in the champions league at that moment then they aren't a player who we should be trying to sign. It's oft' thrown around that we as a team lack fight & heart in recent years. This will only be worse if we sign players that are only interested in superfluous competitions and not potential of the club they could be playing for. Any player that cannot see or prepare for his long term career is not one I would want to play for us.
Let it be known I am not saying we are the biggest or the best attraction in football but if a player cannot see the potential of playing for City in the coming years they are a fool.

3) The New Dawn
Now, this section may upset a few of you but hear me out.
The spine of our team is aging. Once, it was a spine that may not have been one full of the flashiest names but was one that people feared. Sadly, the unceasing March of time and constant injuries has taken its toll on us. The rigid backbone is now one more resembling a scoliosis patient and we all know it's time for a rebuild. Silva is aging and hadn't found his legs this season. Zaba has slowed, been injured and is showing worse judgement this year. Yaya, although still a towering brute, isn't fearful anymore, his legs are waning and he has been ineffectual for large parts of this season. If not this season then he will go very soon. Kompany is still one of the best CB in the world and akin to Churchill in his leadership ability. But it's a simple fact we cannot pin all of our hopes on someone who we have no assurances will be fit again next season.
Whatever way you look at it, and with Pep coming in we have one hell of a job rebuilding our team for the future. It's simply logical that time out of a very demanding competiton spanning thousands of miles worth of travel mere days before games might be very beneficial in the coming transitional period.

4) Spite
They never wanted us in it anyway so fuck them.

At any rate, we're not out of it yet so let's keep hoping we can turn it around and finish strongly, but worst case scenario it might not be as bad as we fear.

Last edited:
I've been thinking, something I don't particularly enjoy doing, a lot recently and I honestly don't think that missing out on the Champions League would be as bad as some of our local Nostrodamus' seem to think it would be.

1)Money
Perhaps the biggest reason we seek to compete is the money that comes with it. But let's face it, we have the richest owners in sport and I'm sure it'd be but a small hindernance. Besides its not like it will affect us till next summer, if anything it'll just push us to spend even bigger this summer to give us maximum time to rebuild and integrate before taking it on again.

Has FFP been scrapped? No.

Losing £50m of CL revenue means we have something like maybe £150m less to spend on transfers, taking amortization and wages into account. I'd say that was a pretty big deal.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.